Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default cam in an AU6

as some of you will know i was going to get my old cam reground. dealings with wade cams and scott(gthofan) have been great. but i have ran in to some drama's i got some shims from ford to put in the lifters the standard au ones were 1.0mm once i put the cam in and bolted it all it ran like a pig... but not in a good way terrible misfire and backfiring out of the exhaust and through the intake and we only managed to start it twice out of the countless times we tried. i was told the shims would be too big. wade cams were skeptical about the ecu but i was sure the ecu would be fine with a reset. have checked all the lines and plugs and leads ect were all fine, now im not sure whether the problem is with the ecu or possibly with the converter. does anyone have any ideas?

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
schuldiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Stop right there Go and check you leads are in the right way first.!! Go now!! I once installed my first cam with the same problems.Then ripped out the cam same night to find the leads were on the wrong cylinder. Discount this first!!
get a torch and check the coil number to cylinder .Theyre marked on the coil.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unfortunately we already triple checked that. and we are half way through bolting the old cam back in but we had to stop because we lost tension on the chain and need the special tool to undo the tensioner.

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
stiddy
Banned

Sounds like the chain has sliped off its mark and now your timing is out..
Have fun fixing that.
Believe me, I spent the last 2 days fixing the exact same thing! But you do get some nice 12 inch flames popping out the exhaust.

By the way, the car in question is an EL Falcon with almost 15k spent on engine and box, puts down 212rwkw and not run yet.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cant be, chain was securely zip tied to the sprocket, unless it somehow slipped off down the bottom but i cant see that happening with the tension on it, will find out whether he car doesn't like the cam or if something went wrong when i put the tickford cam back in tomorrow...i got no flames from the exhaust just a fair bit of pressure when it backfired, the intake blew a fireball:S and thats when we stopped trying to run the engine.

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 03-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
stiddy
Banned

zip tied to the top, you can almost bet its slipped off at the bottom...

Intake blowing a fireball? it definately sounds like the timing is out to me..

see how you go after you whack the stocky cam back in..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i'll be shattered if we put the old cam in and it's still nasty. what about the shims anybody know if i did the right/wrong thing there?

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

try pulling the shims out.If it goes noisy but the car idles better then youve done something there. Chances are the valves arent seating properly.I dunno..try it. It really sounds like the leads.Check em one more time just for me.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a possibility that you could have over shimed it and the valves aren't seating(in theory)
did you measure the base lobe circle on your cam?
did you measure the base lobe circle on the cam you had ground?
did you shim the difference between your standard cam and the one you had ground?

i reckon its probably like stav and stiddy have stated,check your leads ,than check your cam timing.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
By the way, the car in question is an EL Falcon with almost 15k spent on engine and box, puts down 212rwkw and not run yet.
Is this NA?!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
JoesAu

great old funn, this gives me memories of my cam install.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #12
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well still no luck, and after the ride home last night from old mates joint i couldn't be bothered updating last night. old cam is in car wont start, checked the timing and it was fine (no way it could be 180 out right?) but my mechanic thinks there is a possibility that the valve timing is out? so thats got me more confused unless he meant it was 180 out but worded it different. i thought possibly the the rocker spacers were causing a drama but unless it bent a valve it should be ok now they are removed and old cam is in but car is still not happy. leads are good we know this. all this riding to work must have gotten to me... for some strange reason i'm not terribly fussed my car isn't running, im enjoying the 5km ride to work every day :
anybody else who had a reground cam have any information mechan1k, you have a slightly more aggressive regrind in the egas au anything you were told about the install of yours?

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 05-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
JoesAu

ok time to put my 2cnts worth in,does it even sound like its going to start? is it kicking over? and whats coming out of the exhaust, smells? if you've done valves you will definatley notice straight away you would of heard a loud popping noise out the exhust! like a firecraker. the chain sounds as if it has slipped at the bottom yes, the only way to get your timing back up to scratch is taking off the covers on the front off the motor and starting again with a manual, if your motor was 180 degree out it would hardly turn over there'd be bits of valves in the combustion chambers.

I would start again if i was you b4 you go ahead and change anything, it sounds like your on the verge of breaking the valves like i did.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #14
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah just about gets going, although it takes far longer than usual to want to kick over then it farts and dies. well sounds like i might still have valves which is a good thing. haven't actually stood behind the car and listened for the exhaust i think what i'm going to do is bite the bullet and get a towie to my mechanic, hopefully they can put the cam in whilst it's there...

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 05-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #15
JoesAu

well if it just about starts your miles away from 180deg lol do a generall check over your motor, check all vacuume hoses, the gaskets on important things such as intake manifold!, my car was the same it would take ages to start once i put the factory cam back in, couple of issues i had (at that point) my lifters were not bled correctly and needed to pump up, and cam timing was out only slightly. Have you got a adjustable cam gear this is the only way your gonna perfect it or else the timing cover has to come no way around it and start from step 1. Your mechanic will probblly tell you this because he wont have much confidence in adjusting a chain in links over the cog this is were big damage can occur and you must know what your doing.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #16
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

pop the bonnet and remove all your leads
Then try to start ya car ..
Now think of it this way.

woooomp woooomp woooomp woooomp woooomp woooomp

if all sound the same and are about the same length of time then there is nothing wrong with your valves.

if it goes

woooomp wmp woooomp woooomp wmp woooomp

then you know you have bent valves as when you crank the motor is will skip quickly over that/them cylinders
Old 06-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #17
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
I would start again if i was you b4 you go ahead and change anything, it sounds like your on the verge of breaking the valves like i did.
looks like i might be too late:( getting a towie back to my house and my mechanic is gonna come around on monday and have a squiz not that i don't trust the mechanic friend who put it in, as switched on as he is i dont think he has quite the same experience. hopefully it will be something simple that old mate has overlooked if not its gonna be a big expensive job that i cant afford right now... i knew i should have put a V8 in the xf..."

see my ute here

AU parts for sale