Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-09-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Default power windows in an AU1

hey, in the process of upgrading my AU1 to power FRONT windows, bought the interior, looms the other week. I bought the Window Motors today and was wondering.....

has anyone else done this, is it pretty easy to do? like everything will pretty much just clip up and bolt in place yeah?..... or should i take it to an auto electrician to do?

cheers
rob

sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Give LG a PM dude, I believe he converted his rear windows to power, I would only assume the same principles would apply?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
sfr rob

ok, thanks, hopefully he reads this thread though!

Rob
Old 20-09-2005, 11:27 PM   #4
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Okay, you basically have everything you need. I take it your only doing the fronts?

You have a Low Series BEM. So you should have the feature for the power windows. Although i'm not 100% sure as yours is an AUI. So pretty much, you just wire the loom up, and the switch, and connect it up to the BEM, so you can get the power and the delay function (So you can still wind up your windows up to 60 seconds after you turn off the key). If you don't have that, or can't do that, find another power source, and wire up a relay, with a 60 sec circuit.

The rest is pretty straight forward. I didn't do mine. My local mechanic did mine, with the help of an auto electrician. It took them a while, and they found a few problems, but overcome them. As your only doing the fronts, it should be pretty straight forward. But yeah.
Old 21-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
sfr rob

thanks for the info mate!
yeah i had a quick look, but all the wiring seems to be behind the soudn deadening stuff, and i didnt take it off to look, so i will later when my car gets back from mechanic!

cheers mate

what does BEM stand for??
Old 22-09-2005, 12:36 AM   #6
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Body Electronics Module, pretty much anything electric is hooked up to this. It is a module, that contains many circuits, which each have their own function.

I.e. smart lock, interior dome light delay, central locking, power windows, air conditioning, etc.
Old 21-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Stocky's Ghost
Starter Motor

Where is the BEM ?
Stocky's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #8
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Don't wanna take over this thread or anything , but just a quick note along the lines of something JC mentioned that might help a novice making the install easier.. ( if you woundn't have a clue about the BEM or the pinouts etc. )

You could wire up a relay with a timer ( as JC mentioned, so you can still use the electric windows for a short time after the ignition is switched off ) , then wire the relay for the electric windows to power on from the accessories/ignition relay.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When sitting in the driver's seat, the BEM is located just infront of your left knee. There is a retaining nut, holding the plastic there. It comes off, and the BEM is up underneath the dash there. To the lower right position of the Center Pod.

Cheers
Old 21-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
Stocky's Ghost
Starter Motor

Thanks
Stocky's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
bretty
Starter Motor

hi, just a quick question... where do u get the wire looms from cos i am upgrading my auII ute to electrics.
cheers
bretty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

You can buy them from wreckers, who probably won't separte just the door loom, or from ford and pay an arm and a leg.

Alternatively you can just make the looms yourself. I did using 15 amp wire and Narva quick connectors. The narva connetors line up pretty well. Dirrect match for the motor loom, and pins are in the same place on the switches, but no clips for them.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
Alternatively you can just make the looms yourself. I did using 15 amp wire and Narva quick connectors.
Cheers
Our Roo is a very handy bloke!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
bretty
Starter Motor

ok cheers superroo... dont suppose u could tell me how??
my email is brett_honeyman@hotmail.com
bretty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #15
superroo

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Yes and no.

It was mostly trial and error, with a lot of annoyances involved.
Hardest part figuring out what connects to where, and where to run the wires and ect.
Once that is done it is simple, cut wires to size and crimp terminals.

It is certainly not a job to tackle unless you are a 100% confident in what you can do.

Even then, I think it was my fault that my car then locked me out of the BEM with how I connected the windows. Lesson is, don't have them permanently on!

The biggest help in the project was having more than one wiring diagram. I've got a gregories manual which had the diagram, and the wiring diagrams on here are very, very useful.

Cheers
Old 11-06-2008, 11:41 PM   #16
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
Yes and no.

It was mostly trial and error, with a lot of annoyances involved.
Hardest part figuring out what connects to where, and where to run the wires and ect.
Once that is done it is simple, cut wires to size and crimp terminals.

It is certainly not a job to tackle unless you are a 100% confident in what you can do.

Even then, I think it was my fault that my car then locked me out of the BEM with how I connected the windows. Lesson is, don't have them permanently on!

The biggest help in the project was having more than one wiring diagram. I've got a gregories manual which had the diagram, and the wiring diagrams on here are very, very useful.

Cheers
lol, yes...the wiring is something else isn't it? i did a 4 power window conversion on my au1 and let me tell you....i won't be doing anything like that again in a hurry, i'd take a pic of the wiring to the driver's side switch, but it looks a bit scary lol.

i didn't bother hooking mine up to the bem tho, just wired it up to the constant power in the fuse panel where the power window relay normally goes, then got a timer kit from jaycar and set it for 30 secs timeout. so now i have it, key on power windows, key off, power for 30 secs. quite simple to hook up really, the hardest bit was soldering the chip for the timer together, and then fixing it after i kept almost burning it out... all in all, not too bad, 2 relays and the timer and all work great, will have to post pics of how the doors look and how the fuse panel is set up
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2008, 12:35 AM   #17
superroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
i didn't bother hooking mine up to the bem tho, just wired it up to the constant power in the fuse panel where the power window relay normally goes, then got a timer kit from jaycar and set it for 30 secs timeout. so now i have it, key on power windows, key off, power for 30 secs. quite simple to hook up really, the hardest bit was soldering the chip for the timer together, and then fixing it after i kept almost burning it out... all in all, not too bad, 2 relays and the timer and all work great, will have to post pics of how the doors look and how the fuse panel is set up
Hmmm, will have to look into that. Mine's not connected to the BEM as it wouldn't work, so now it's on a relay to turn off the window relay when the ignition is turned off.

I looked at a jay car kit and couldn't find a suitible one. May have to look again. By chance, you got the part/kit number there?

Cheers
Old 12-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #18
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here's the link http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp...Max=&SUBCATID=
you will also probably need a box to put it in, they are about 5 bucks i think, it can be set up for a lot of different times, not just 30 secs, and different ways the timer runs too, it's all in the instructions
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post