Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #61
FPVTurboTaxi

Ok .. from a experience point of view ...

on a twin turbo soarer i ran a 4" dump pipe back exhause hi flow cat and big canon exhaust

i then had a 2 " reducer that would bolt in for road driveing

on a dyno it made 307 rwkw at 14 lb boost with the canon , fit the reducer and 282 rwkw at 11 lb boost , nothing changed just the reducer fitted , i then reversed the test to prove it wasnt the fmic getting hot

For Sale QLD Number Plates 06-XRF $550 PM me
Old 16-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #62
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

kooky do you happen to have a before and after dyno plot to show the difference?
Old 16-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #63
HLC
Audi S3

Ive seen them on plenty of commodores and BA's.

seen one on an AU XR6. nearly ****ed myself i was laughing so hard when i saw it. sounded terrible.

the son of the old guy that lives next door has a REALLY OLD p.o.s. ute. prolly an 80's hilux if they were on then, with a cannon tacked on the back. sounds bloody horrible. and looks worse haha
Old 16-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #64
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Big yep, but not cannons.

I think the issue here is fashion more than function, turbo cars seem to gain more hp thorugh an average size pipe than a V8 does.

Heard this beast when it was NA, Awesome is a word you'll hear from all there that day. Looks like the same system, so it'd still give a jellyfish a horn.
Yes there are cheap nasty and stupid 5"+ cannons around, but as others have said, real ones are just a bit better than that! Besides, cannon style exhausts have been round for years. I can remember a 10 sec blown Torana running around with twin turn-down 4" cannon style exhausts 12+ years ago, except I don't remember people calling them cannons back then, though they did mimic crows alot....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Old 18-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #65
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Uh-oh. Now it's gonna get confusing. I see we now have two "Turbo Taxi's" on the forums!
Old 18-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #66
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah my VL USED!!! to have a cannon.

I didn't know what I was thinking, when I was 17. I'm happier with the 2 1/2 inch chrome drop tip now.;)
Old 19-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #67
Jayden
Graphic Artist

self explanatory this one, i want one, exept just a bit bigger.... not
Old 19-01-2007, 01:40 AM   #68
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden
Wow that's a beauty. I've always liked the nice subtle cannon on a powerful 4cyl. :
Old 19-01-2007, 03:50 AM   #69
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden
Now that is funny :
Old 19-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #70
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I have my theory on things...

With a V8, part of what makes it cool is the sound. Its a respect thing. When the focus on cars in the younger generation of Australians switched from V8s to smaller Japanese cars, well, you've got the looks, the technology, the wings....but where did that sound go? Enter, the comically large exhaust.

Sure, the quality isn't there - but the volume sure is!

Obviously this thereoy isn't limited to Australians....somewhere else the lack of cool sounding exhaust note struck a chord first.

Having said all of that, of course I understand and respect when an exhaust needs to be a certain size to improve performance. I think anything over 4 inches is dicking around - and I've added quite a bit of leeway there. Realistically, I don't think you'd need to go over 3 inches, but I'm the first to admit I'm just a ranting Internet Bogan..
Old 19-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #71
BAFalconXT
Sold...

I saw one the other day, attached after the rear muffler. They were running a standard exhaust with 2 mufflers and a canon :
On a full exhaust I can accept cannons or big exhaust tips, but not when that is the ONLY mod they have made to the exhaust.
WHY, WHY, WHY, do they have to hang the cannon out the back, why not just the tip? I know its rice, but.....
Old 19-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #72
turboute
turboute

Done right they are not too bad, my mate had an rx7 which had a 3.5" pipe exiting it, however the exhaust place had done a high quality job on the muffler side of things and it came out with more power (after re-tuning) and suprise suprise - quieter.
Old 19-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #73
majin_andrew

They look ok on SOME cars, but on most cars a nice twin tip would look better IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30487256
Wow that's a beauty. I've always liked the nice subtle cannon on a powerful 4cyl. :
Classic quote!
Old 19-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #74
bigAl
THIS IS SPARTA!!

The exhaust shop i go to, the owner says that when they ask to cannons fitted "sidways" he charges an extra 10-15 bucks. But its a whole lot easier to weld them crooked than straight... HAHAHA, take that u ricer F@RKS
Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #75
agent008
Starter Motor

What about a cannon on a 02 AUIII Falcon?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #76
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent008
Horrid

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Old 05-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #77
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #78
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent008

Thread closed for your protection. :
Closed Thread