Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Turbo diesel on gas!! Havnt seen that before.

Just had a bloke doing some work at my house and noticed his Turbo Diesel dual cab 4x4 mazda had gas!!

So not having heard about that, asked the details.

He said he got 700km out of a 70L tank of diesel and was told to expect 1000km with the gas added.

He said it runs a mix of 20% gas with the diesel. He notices a little more power but not really better economy! in fact uses the same 9 to 9.5 litres per 100km of diesel plus the 20% of gas!! Instead of 10l per 100.

It cost $$$$+ but got the $2000 grant.

He likes it cos it blows less smoke and has better emissions?.. (Guess its his way of saying he didnt get scammed)

EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
silver_xe

There is a company called D-Gas that does it, i have beenwanting to find out from people who have it if it is worth it.
http://www.d-gas.com.au/
silver_xe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Tobey
BF Ute...

Sydney buses have been doing it for years, there is heaps of threads on the subject. Nothing new really.

The general idea is, the gas is not a replacement for the diesel, its an additive there to give more power, and by giving more power, requires less fuel to do the same amount of killometers as before. So the economy is a little better.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey
The general idea is, the gas is not a replacement for the diesel, its an additive there to give more power, and by giving more power, requires less fuel to do the same amount of killometers as before.
I think the actual theory behind it is that it makes the diesel burn more efficiently, and hence lowers the fuel consumption.
Old 23-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
I think the actual theory behind it is that it makes the diesel burn more efficiently, and hence lowers the fuel consumption.
That's correct and this also gives up to 30% more power and torque. I'll be getting it done in October and the cost is just over 4 grand but we get $3000 back from the WA Gov.

This D-Gas doesn't effect the engines ECU as it injects the liquid straight into the manifold.I'll be getting the 30L gas tank so i'll let people know when it's done and how good it is. Any saving i get from it will be a bonus with fuel prices going through the roof at the moment.

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Jesk
certified nutter

yeah when i worked in servos i got tripped out by it the first time i saw it on a big winnebago thing, they filled up with gas and diesel for the main engine and ULP for their generator
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

I Believe it all started at on of the big coal mines where a chap developed a gas system for the big dozers. It saved the mine lots of $$$$$ in fuel costings.
My brother here in Newcastle is now installing these systems into Diesel vehicles and says the difference is night and day. He says it makes the diesel drive more like a petrol in regards to not having to keep the foot on the accelerator pedal on the freeway. He also said the economy is so much better again.
Also due to the realatively new nature of the Gas on diesel, he has said there are alot a sharks quoting upwards of $8000 for the full system. He is only charging the same as an installation on a petrol model $4-5000. Just PM me if you want his details.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote