Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why advertise if U cant answer customers-all too common

Whilst there are some excellent businesses who run great workshops around I find there are a few that just dont get it. Now is it just me or do more than just one or two of these people who advertise on the net or have web sites not even bother to give the common courtesy of a reply. I am sick to death of sending emails to businesses that never get replied to. All it does is make me tell people not to bother with their business as it implies to me that their time is far too stretched to give proper atttention to things.
Recently again I contacted someone and asked advice on getting work done on my V8 ford ( new larger injectors, adj fuel reg and altered pressure, fuel pump, surge tank,Purchase flash tuner and custom tune after all fitted) all together a fair job earning them a fair income and not even a reply after over a month. So come on guys is it just me or do the rest of you get the old hit and miss treatment in emails as well.

P.S. to all those businesses who advertise on the net, have web sites and surf the forums, if you do answer emails your a legend keep up the good work.

Liquid Silver Pursuit250

Custom gear and diff ratios
ECU
Exhaust
Crow Comp. Valve springs
Adjust. Rollers
Cold air
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesy
Whilst there are some excellent businesses who run great workshops around I find there are a few that just dont get it. Now is it just me or do more than just one or two of these people who advertise on the net or have web sites not even bother to give the common courtesy of a reply. I am sick to death of sending emails to businesses that never get replied to. All it does is make me tell people not to bother with their business as it implies to me that their time is far too stretched to give proper atttention to things.
Recently again I contacted someone and asked advice on getting work done on my V8 ford ( new larger injectors, adj fuel reg and altered pressure, fuel pump, surge tank,Purchase flash tuner and custom tune after all fitted) all together a fair job earning them a fair income and not even a reply after over a month. So come on guys is it just me or do the rest of you get the old hit and miss treatment in emails as well.

P.S. to all those businesses who advertise on the net, have web sites and surf the forums, if you do answer emails your a legend keep up the good work.
I to have had the same problem when ordering parts. I sent emails to all the leading parts wholesalers. I was spending about $1500 and only one company replyed the next day and another replied 2 weeks latter and the rest not at all. I thought they would all reply as it's a fair chunk of money, there loss I supose.
4VCLEVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

I've had the same problem but found 100% sucess rate when I pick up the phone and speak to someone, even better when you go and talk to them face to face.
At the end of the day alot of business's are to busy to reply to emails so picking up the phone will gain more attention.

Just my 2 cents. :evil3:

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

I agree absolutely - and I have had a few complaints about site sponsors for this very reason. It is in their best interests to answer as if they have paid the money to sponsor the forum, why dont they use it to their advantage. A lot of the time my "car shopping" is done out of hours so I cant pickup the phone etc.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
redef

the reason i would say is you get so many time wasters in the auto world. a lot people of just love to burn your time with stuff they cant afford to do. im not saying thats you but we get that all the time at work and you just get over it.
redef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the reason i would say is you get so many time wasters in the auto world. a lot people of just love to burn your time with stuff they cant afford to do. im not saying thats you but we get that all the time at work and you just get over it.

No worries there was no offence taken but everyone is different and I am unfortunately one of these people who now out of principle would not only not give those businesses any custom but would actively discourage people from using them and I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who think the same. So if one gives up on emails because of time wasters whats next dont answer the phone, every enquiry is potential business and unfortunately there is no way to tell if people are time wasters or not. Living a reasonable distance from majority of performance shops I need to make some sort of preliminary enquiry before I drive to them to get them because no one will quote on a vehicle until they look to see what they are dealing with.

Having said all that guys I have only had this issue with one sponsor all the others were either sponsors on other sites or ones I looked up on the net after seeing adds in magazines. Never the less it is a fairly wide spread problem, its simple if emails are too difficault to answer due to the work load then stop advertising an email enquiry address its not rocket science. Guess I'll have to strat ringing instead but I remember when I was in business how I used to dread the distraction of phone calls at least you can pick slack time to address emails.

Liquid Silver Pursuit250

Custom gear and diff ratios
ECU
Exhaust
Crow Comp. Valve springs
Adjust. Rollers
Cold air
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I agree absolutely - and I have had a few complaints about site sponsors for this very reason. It is in their best interests to answer as if they have paid the money to sponsor the forum, why dont they use it to their advantage. A lot of the time my "car shopping" is done out of hours so I cant pickup the phone etc.
And just for those who question my login times (you know who you are you weak pathetic ignorant idiot), i will let you know that just because i am logged in doesnt actually mean im here. there have been plenty of times when i have been logged in on the work pc and havent actually been there, so get over yourself.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

This sure is a problem and I can your frustration.

It's not just in the car industry but very widespread and there was recently a news report about it, something like 62% of businesses do not respond to internet enquiries.

The best thing to do is indeed phone them or go in person. The internet can be so convenient and yet so frustrating.

Some businesses thrive on the internet as a major source of income and heavily exploit it whereas others are traditionally very stuck in the old phone or face-to-face enquiry way.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

What's worse is when you go into a workshop, speak to the owner, get told that the job will take a few days to fabricate and wait for a phonecall to tell you it is ready, but that phonecall never comes. Then you ring them again to ask what the go is and the reply you get is, "gee sorry about that, I forgot, I will start it today" but still, over three months later, they still haven't called to say it's ready!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Last week I received a pm from someone asking me if I knew how to break into a ford wagon because he locked his keys in the car. The guy may be for real but if I divulge that sort of info I feel I am doing the wrong thing.

It is far easier to talk to someone on the phone than by pm. Some days when you have to organise a huge work load for the next day you can forget to reply to every pm. I have found that I will also be moving towards a high rate non refundable deposit. I have a few times bought quite expensive unique products and people change their minds on occasions.I end up with widgets which sit in the garage floor .. Most customers are excellent though. It does go both ways.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Last week I received a pm from someone asking me if I knew how to break into a ford wagon because he locked his keys in the car. .

What did you tell him ? :brick?
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I just didnt reply. I think I did the right thing.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 01:09 AM   #13
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

I think part of the problem is too that they end up with so much spam in their inbox that half the time they end up deleting your emails by mistake, or sometimes it gets picked up by the spam filter, have had it happen and heard of plenty of other cases of it too.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #14
kcej
2mny projects 2 lttl time

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesy
I am sick to death of sending emails to businesses that never get replied to. All it does is make me tell people not to bother with their business as it implies to me that their time is far too stretched to give proper atttention to things.
I think part of the problem might be that computer illiterate business owners are sold websites with reply email capability by I.T. people who forget that not everyone spends as much time on their computers as we do, checking emails many times a day.
Also, many of these websites would get very few hits in the early days, and even fewer email queries, so even in some businesses where the owner is computer savvy, he gets out of the habit of switching identity to the business email address after a few weeks or months of doing it for nothing, even though he might be checking his personal email address daily.
I have a degree in IT, yet I've worked for a carpet firm (as salesman) where the email account could be unattended for weeks at a time simply because the admin chickee was on holidays and no-one else had password access to the only computer set up for outlook express.
I also think that the more minor players (grass roots small businesses) in the motor industry probably fall behind some industries when it comes to being aware of the possible benefits to them in IT, most exceptions being businesses owned by 'younger' people who have grown up with computers.
kcej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #15
kcej
2mny projects 2 lttl time

Default wowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
And just for those who question my login times (you know who you are you weak pathetic ignorant idiot)
Don't hold back, b2tf, tell him what you really think
kcej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post