Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Kove
Starter Motor

Default Buying Advice - 2000 FALCON AU II Forte

Gudday All,

I am after some advice on purchasing a 2000 FALCON AU II Forte station wagon. Asking price for the one that I am looking at is 8 grand.

What type of things should I be looking out for? Both good and bad.

Initally buying it as a 'family car' but once we have it, I'll get to play and make all sorts of mods!!

Kove is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

8k is too much for a 2000. I got my AUII for 9k 4 years ago, so you should be looking for something around 5k for that.

Early 2002 BA's have been going in auctions for 6k lately. Probably 1k extra for the wagon.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Kove
Starter Motor

Cheers for that. I'll see what I can knock off the price.

Was LPG a standard on this model? It states that it has 'factory gas'.
Old 15-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

LPG, was a factory option, but it wasn't standard, a lot of the wagons out there are on gas, as most were fleet cars and fleets prefer to run on gas.
Old 15-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Would probably be either e-gas (which means no petrol, dedicated gas engine) or factory fitted dual-fuel. Not sure whether both these were available on the wagon though.

Definitely try knock the price down a bit.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

That would be correct, it was a factory option. I'd add $6-$800 for the gas. Just be careful of the potential maintenance costs of getting the gas tank replaced/serviced.

Check out the service history of the gas tank itself. Don't quote me on this but they have a 10 year lifespan, before needing replacement/something done to them??

Maybe that was for aftermarket gas.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Kove
Starter Motor

Brilliant. Thanks for all the advice.

Based on that I'll make an offer between $6500 (as low as possible anyway!). 5K for the vehicle, + 1k for wagon and up to $800 for gas.

Looking forward to getting some good modification\maintenance\'looks' advice from you all if I get it!!
Old 15-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

After Egas was introduced Ford didn't make any more factory dual fuel cars, so a dual fuel AU2 would have to be aftermarket - not that there is a problem with that. Gas tanks need to be pressure tested every 10 years.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kove
Gudday All,

I am after some advice on purchasing a 2000 FALCON AU II Forte station wagon. Asking price for the one that I am looking at is 8 grand.

What type of things should I be looking out for? Both good and bad.

Initally buying it as a 'family car' but once we have it, I'll get to play and make all sorts of mods!!
If this car is at a dealer then the 8K sounds about what he would be asking, depending on how many K's it has,but not what you should be paying. I would be looking at a drive away price of 6K for it but there are two things which may not quite get you there. 1. Its on gas and with petrol prices these days its a wanted car. 2. Not many wagons around so you are restricted in choice and he may think he has you over a barrell. LPG tank needs to be tested every 10 years for rego and I think its about $200 but don't quote me on the price but definately 10yrs. Have you seen the car yet and how many K's has it got?
Old 15-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
Kove
Starter Motor

Going to have a look at it tomorrow. It's a private sale and it has 232k K's on it.

Redbook price suggests $6900 based on about 200k K's.

One family owner since new.
Old 15-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

K's are high, average K's these days are 20k per year. That would make it 160k for average K's. That means it has done 50% more work per year than the norm. Doesn't sound like a family car. Maybe the "one" family has a business and its used for work. Unless its in exceptional condition with full log books I would be wary. Have you considered buying a low k wagon and having it converted to gas? General pricing these days is $2800-3200 for a conversion less $2000 federal gov rebate means $1000 outlay which you would regain quickly these days.
Old 15-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
Kove
Starter Motor

Yeah, I have thought of that but there is not really anything around at the moment in Adelaide.

Am considering hanging off and waiting a bit but I want to get rid of my other car (Alfa 156 Selespeed) which is gorgeous to drive but costly to maintain and run. without a car neither of us can get to work!!

Will check out the 'For Sale' and see what I can coem up with...
Old 15-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #13
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck with it all, Adelaide prices may be higher than other capitals or as I have found sometimes the price is the same but K's much higher. Scan the usual sites, Trading Post,Carpoint,Drive,Carsales and Carsguide you will find something. Try using Glass's Guide for values accessed easiest through Drive. Red Book hasnt a great rep in these forums. All the best.
Old 15-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
Black XR
Narooma blue XR8 ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kove
Going to have a look at it tomorrow. It's a private sale and it has 232k K's on it.

Redbook price suggests $6900 based on about 200k K's.

One family owner since new.
I'd keep looking 8k for a au11 wagon with 232k's sounds a bit over the top to me
Black XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #15
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know where these people are seeing 7k BA wagons... Auctions don't count!

8k is too much for an AUII with that many K's on it. 6.5k, maybe 7k if it's tip top shape with impressive service records.

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
Auctions don't count!
Why not?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #17
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
I don't know where these people are seeing 7k BA wagons... Auctions don't count!

8k is too much for an AUII with that many K's on it. 6.5k, maybe 7k if it's tip top shape with impressive service records.

Matt.
I think thats what I said.
Old 16-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
Kove
Starter Motor

Checked it out today. It really wasn't that impressive. Apparently they lived in Tassie and would come back to visit Adelaide quite a bit so that is why the k's are up so high.

Anyway, it felt quite heavy to drive and I decided to look a bit more.

Cheers for all the suggestions and advice fellas.
Old 16-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #19
allycat45
Starter Motor

In Brissie AU11 and 111 wagons r going for 6k to 7500 av kms.DONOT buy a 1 series.Had an AU11 6 seat col auto with 4 kids that was my only option at that time had only minor probs with it.9.2lts per 100 on trips 12 around town top family wagon
allycat45 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #20
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

currently have series 2 wagon....best car i have ever owned. 12g with 85 thou ks on it wasnt too bad a price (also got them to tint and throw in 5 yr warranty for free) done a few mods to her now and shes comming up nicely.....just need to up date in aufalcon.com and my build thread in here.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #21
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

yep agreed with the above. I bought a V8 with 200 on the clock for 8, around 3 months ago.