Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Falcon retail therapy

Falcon retail therapy

Ford hits the G spot: Buyers can saves thousands on an LPG-powered G6.

Ford introduces big deals on new FG Falcon models to combat market woes

By DAVID HASSALL 18 August 2008

JUST three months after launching the new FG Falcon, Ford Australia has been forced to introduce special value packages on its two main private-market models to combat the general decline in large car sales and also heavy retail actions on the rival Holden Commodore.

While holding firm on recommended retail prices, Ford is now offering drive-away pricing and extra features on G6 and XR6 Falcons until at least the end of September.

For $39,990 including registration and stamp duty, G6 Falcon buyers also get the E-Gas six-cylinder engine (normally an extra $1400), along with Bluetooth connectivity and full iPod integration.

XR6 buyers gain 18-inch alloy wheels, Bluetooth and iPod integration for $39,990 drive-away.

With Ford suddenly getting busy on the retail front, Falcon Ute buyers are also in for a bonus with free E-Gas and automatic transmission throughout August and September.

Ford Australia president Bill Osborne maintains he is happy with Falcon sales and market share, despite the fact that the new FG continues to be beaten by the VE Commodore in the shrinking large car market segment – in July by 3448 sales to 4906.

Left: Falcon's new Suna Traffic Channel feature showing traffic hot spots on the SatNav screen.

Another development on the Falcon front sees the introduction of a new satellite navigation feature that provides drivers of traffic conditions in their area or on their intended route.

Developed by a division of Intellimatics (which is owned by the Australian motoring clubs such as the RACV), the Suna Traffic Channel now comes as part of the SatNav option on all FG Falcons sedans and utes, as well as FPV vehicles.

Ford claims it is the first company to offer the time-saving feature, which adds $290 to the cost of the navigation option (now $2290) starting with August production.

The Suna system provides traffic information, such as crashes and congestion, and offers recalculated times or alternative routes to reduce delays, so that the navigation system is useful even for drivers on their regular routes to and from work.

Information is not only taken from traffic control centres that monitor freeways, but also from traffic lights and road sensors that advise flow rates –information that is broadcast by radio transmitters and processed by the navigation system.

Simple traffic messages are ultimately displayed on the seven-inch colour screen in the Falcon, such as the location and cause of the delay.

“With the introduction of Suna Traffic Channel, the satellite navigation system is turned from a tool to find unknown destinations into an interactive, value-adding feature which can be used every day and is valuable even on the routes that a driver is familiar with, such as driving to and from work,” says Ford.

At present, the system covers only Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, but Ford says it will be rolled out for other metropolitan areas such as Adelaide, Perth and Canberra as well as major regional areas over the next two years.

However, the Suna feature is not yet compatible with the Territory SatNav system.

Ford is also now fitting the latest (version 15) Sensis map data, which not only includes all the newest roads but also some 869 fixed speed and red light camera locations down the eastern seaboard that show up on the screen to alert drivers.

DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'll never work out how a sat nav is worth $2000 to ford but $400 to big w.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
RATT
In a Pug..

What sort of Sat Nav do you get from Big W??
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
What sort of Sat Nav do you get from Big W??
And top of the range performance motor vehicles are far too expensive from Ford. Kia have them for $12,999 drive away.....................
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And top of the range performance motor vehicles are far too expensive from Ford. Kia have them for $12,999 drive away.....................
A $400 Garmin unit would probably be preferable to the Ford one. You're paying for an integrated factory kit.

Just like the $1200 or whatever for the factory towbar when a Hayman Reese one is $300 installed at your premises and just as good.

Same thing with reversing sensors. Holden were charging about $800 at one stage. When I could drive in-drive out of an auto elec and have a far superior system set up at a fraction of the cost.

I just don't get it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
oooooooooo

Towbar is only a $475 option.
oooooooooo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #7
Shounak

Maybe they're smartening up now, because I've definitely seen them for much more.

I'm pretty sure it's a lot more than that on a Commodore.
Old 19-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And no-one is going to break into your FG and pinch the factory satnav unit....with a portable unit - and there has a big jump in burglaries especially in CBD carparks, one break-in = repair to glass or any panel damage, probably not worth the insurance claim and you need to buy a new satnav, could mean you're up for $800-$1200..hence I ordered the factory satnav which is actually quite good, VDO Dayton unit MC5400 I think.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Some Ford Option and prices

Some Holden options and prices

Old 20-08-2008, 12:47 AM   #10
Shounak

For a lot of the frivolous (ie. not a chance in hell it would affect warranty), I would much rather pay half for the aftermarket thing.

As for the comment above about it not getting stolen. Whatever you need to justify the fact that you paid 4 times as something of probably equal or better quality. Anyone who parks their car in the CBD with the satnav attached is stupid.

I'll hide all traces or just take it with me.

But seriously, the above price list is a rip off. I mean $200 for an ash tray? Nearly 3 grand for a GPS?

The bluetooth prices also astound me, probably made worse by the millions of auto elecs willing to install a better integrated system for less.
Old 20-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
And no-one is going to break into your FG and pinch the factory satnav unit....with a portable unit - and there has a big jump in burglaries especially in CBD carparks, one break-in = repair to glass or any panel damage, probably not worth the insurance claim and you need to buy a new satnav, could mean you're up for $800-$1200..hence I ordered the factory satnav which is actually quite good, VDO Dayton unit MC5400 I think.
That certainly is a benefit, but it would probably have to happen to me 3 times for the cost to balance out. (so far it's happened once but now I don't leave the satnav in the car). It's also a good idea to not leave the bracket on the windshield and/or clean any marks that the suction cups leave (as they'll still break into your car looking for your satnav because of suction cup marks)

Are there aftermarket satnavs for the FG yet? I find the factory fitted ones cost prohibitive. For a Golf you can pay up to $3k for their satnav or a Chinese aftermarket that has more features for ~$800.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #12
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
No time for your wisdom here!!
Old 20-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its all about convenience

why have 3 different things stuck to your windscreen when its all built in? then have to split the cigarette adapator

same reason people pay more for a High Def HDD DVD recorder (~$1200) than a High Def STB (~$200) and HDD Recorder (~$400-700), convenience of ONE device

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #14
DA68ZA

Quote:
yes , but that is probably the same amount the ford will depreciate the day you drive it out of the yard ... :
DA68ZA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #15
RATT
In a Pug..

It will be worth as much as you're willing to pay for it once it leaves the yard..