Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 
Default Pacemaker 4006's, not happy!

So i did a group buy for ff members of pacemaker extractors, anyway i got a set of 4006's, initial fitting off them turned into a real pain, bolts that were supplied wouldn't fit in due to hitting pipes and welds, had to grind away parts of the extractors to get them to bolt up with unbrako's i had to buy with a smaller head, oxygen sensor location is in a spot where on the left hand side i had to actually increase the wire lengh to plug in, not to mention the rear of the oxygen sensor has the wires bent on a 45 constantly rubbing. Today i go to pull the oxygen sensor out of left bank to replace with wideband sensor, and it had shrunk locked onto the brand new oxygen sensor i had put in 3 weeks ago because the thread was too small on oxy bung, i heated it up and undid it without too much force and it taw the thread off my oxygen sensor and the bung. Fortunately i work as a turner and will be able to fix both threads.

Now i have to say in my opinion this sort of product labeled as AU v8 extractors should bolt on with minimal problems, and oxygen sensor location shouldn't be in a spot causing rubbing on wires in a $1099 retail product like these.

I make the oxygen sensor bungs at my work, and when you weld them they should be running a tap thru afterwards, they shrink, sometimes they will be fine and others not, but really it should have a tap ran thru every set to make sure there right to spot this sort of thing happening.

I have purchased and fitted 4 sets of pacemakers in the past, and never had a problem, thought they were great, sure on my XR with a clevo they were a tight fit, but they fitted up nice when done. I have 2 sets of 4075's sitting here at the moment and one set if really well made, the other isn't so nice, bad welds going into bolt holes like mine, bends not as good and so on. i do realise that these are all made from jigs and welded together by individual workers, but on occasion some sets are just rubbish.

I have sent a letter of complaint regarding them to pacemaker, but i doubt it'll matter, i am really annoyed with them, and quite frankly i don't want them, i don't seemed to have gained anything from them either, except that the brand new oxygen sensors don't get hot enough and function fast enough causing me surging at low throttle.

Old 24-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
dreadly
Banned

Mate that sucks ***! hope you can get something sorted you shouldnt have to do all that to make em fit. Are they the tuned length ones? Ive got tri y's and they were easy as...
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

yeah tuned length comp type. I'm basically at the point where i don't want them, and totally regret buying them.
Old 24-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
dreadly
Banned

bugger ya should have said something first... Or asked the group buy organiser.
The tuned length most times wont fit- and if they do you usually loose power :( Tri y's are far far better suited for a stock/low tuned 5L. Tuned ones are really for the 5.6L's and supercharged...
Try giving pacemaker a call explain the situation ( nicely ) Lol And see what they can do, see if they'll do a good will gesture and swap them for you. Be nice the first time if they dont help then let em have it..... ;)
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol I was the organiser of the group buy, my brother owns a exhaust shop, which is where i fitted them and he helped and he couldn't get the bolts in either, as for tri y's vs tuned lengh that does depend on you combo but in my situation the tuned lengh are more suitable, and i will mention that it does have a lot more low/midrange touque now, where the tuned lengh comes in. but overall the problems i have had fitting them and with the oxy sensors i'm just sick of it, i purchased a wideband lc-1 to put on it to take some control over them and improve the response speed, it takes a good 2minutes of driving before standed oxy's start working, my lc-1 takes 20seconds, with imidiate accurate readings.

The thing is with these, im sure that there is plenty of other buyers of 4006's that are very happy with them, but in my case i have a set that really lack in the build quality, as with all man made products there is always some that arnt up to spec, and i just coped a set.
Old 24-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Did all the pipes line up with the ports properly or was there a problem?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All the ports line up with the pipes, but a couple of the pipes weren't fitted real nice at the flange plate interfering with the bolt holes whereby there was no hope at all of getting the SUPPLIED bolts in 3 of the holes no matter how you tried. And i had to grind away part of the weld and take a little off the pipe to get the smaller allenkey unbrako bolts in that i brought and they were turned down even smaller in lathe.

The bit that really annoys me is know i have to pull the passenger side off again to tap out the oxy bung and struggle to get the freakin thing back on again.
Old 24-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
Brothers

the pacemaker in tuned length that I got needed porting to clean them up and the bolts did not bolt up neatly I had to grind the welds and the pipes leaked, I did not bother to complain I just wont buy them ever agian very poor quality for the price, the $380 cheapy lukeys on my clevo are far better. sorry to hear about your problems
Brothers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah but if no one complains then they won't change and other people will cop the problems in future too, I do have a little weight behind me with it too, being that i just purchased 9 sets off them last month for the group buy
Old 25-08-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i struck some dodgey extractors myself on my 289 years ago, similar problems windsors back then were a bit notorius for having bolt holes close to the port ,sounds like they have`nt changed much, my pipes were even worse, the flange plate was also heat buckled i had to run 2 extractor gasgets, genies they were and absolute rubish but they made good power , the steering box side had a slip joint to make fitting easier .....but it was still a %#@$# , perhaps you can exchange them?.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2008, 01:25 AM   #11
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the windsor port and bolt locations arn't nice, but similar to yours my extractor faces were not flat either, but i have surfaced them and made them fit and now don't want to touch it, but i still have the problem of the stuffed thread in oxy bung, but i may be able to tap it without removing them is my hope. I was just really pee'd earlier and wanted a good winge.

But i will still tomorrow call up and go crook, i don't expect any results directly, but i do believe a set of $1099 rrp extractors should fit up properly and have already been surfaced and all the rest, and not have to do any extra work to them to get them to fit properly. And really its not just pacemakers that are like it, a lot of other brands are the same.
Old 25-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
Yeah but if no one complains then they won't change and other people will cop the problems in future too, I do have a little weight behind me with it too, being that i just purchased 9 sets off them last month for the group buy
Too true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
i do believe a set of $1099 rrp extractors should fit up properly and have already been surfaced and all the rest, and not have to do any extra work to them to get them to fit properly.
Absolutely!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you can`t get satisfaction and decide to repair it yourself, i`m pretty sure you can buy the weld in sensor threaded bit from some exhaust shops in either stainless or plain steel.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah thats no problem i work in a CNC machine shop and we are the company making them in aus for pro ex i believe. So supply isn't a problem, lol.

As for ringing up and complaning, they apologise and offered an exchange set, but they are already on car, i have run a tap thru both oxy bungs which are ok now, and theres no way i'm pulling em off again. The whole point of me ringing up and complaining was in hope that they may tighten inspection on them so that no one has to have the problems in future, but still it'll probably not have done anything unless there had been other complaints.

The whole thing is you can take 2 types of responses from purchasing a product your not happy with

1 just never buy them again, but many others will and probably have the same probs as you.
2 Ring up and complain and hopefully they might improve on the product

Being that i believe pacemakers to be one of the best flowing extractors for our aus cars, and no doubt in future i will buy another set for other cars in my future, i would like to not ever have the problems again.
Old 27-08-2008, 01:58 AM   #15
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

shame to hear about the problems your having with yours. I had a pair of tuned length paceys fitted to my au xr8 about 6 months ago and i think they are really good and have had no problems with them. Let pacemaker know and maybe they can get you a replacement.

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
BlacklistedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #16
xr8ute
Back on the road

I was definitely disappointed in the quality of the PH4006's ive got. For the money (well the rrp at least), they should be much better made than they are.

I've got a heap of hours in mine to clean them up. Lots of grinding and re-welding.

You cant blame Pacemaker for the narrow distance between the exhaust bolt holes. we are making the windsor do things it was never really designed to do, so "bolt on" performance mods like this will always be comprimised.

I shudder to think what a set of 1 3/4" pipes with the standard windsor exh. bolt width would look like :O)

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #17
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
You cant blame Pacemaker for the narrow distance between the exhaust bolt holes. we are making the windsor do things it was never really designed to do, so "bolt on" performance mods like this will always be comprimised.

I shudder to think what a set of 1 3/4" pipes with the standard windsor exh. bolt width would look like :O)
I have the difilippo's on my ute and they were a bit of a pain to bolt on, but not as bad as what's been posted above!!
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #18
Modmyxr8
Iregular Member

out: I got the same set as you in the group buy & havent got around too putin em in sounds like a nightmare you are freaking me out!!! out: : :sm_headba :gren: I hope its only a one off set thats dodgey!!!
Modmyxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2008, 01:00 AM   #19
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah mate i think i got the worst set, there normally pretty good, just seems to be from time to time you come across a bad set probably made by the apprentice or something.