Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
JoesAu

Default Gauge installations

Hey guys got a couple of new auto gauges, water temp & oil pressure, can anyone shed some light on how to install these, i have half an idea but if anyone has done it throw me some hints. will post pics once installed

thanks Joe

JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is the oil pressure one a mechanical one (ie has an oil line going from the motor to the gauge) or electric (has a sending unit and just a wire to the gauge)? as for the water temp, sis it come with it's own sensor? if so, it depends on what type of sensor it has. you may be able to drill and tap a hole in somewhere near the thermostat housing and screw it in there (or make some sort of fitting to hold it in there). Good luck
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11221983
Some details in there on how I installed mine, still need to redo it but am waiting till I buy a new headunit.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #4
JoesAu

they are mechanical gauges, nice work stealth. im getting a gauge pod that sit under the ashtray
Old 31-08-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

hmm is that the one off ebay for around $70-80, can you let me know the quality, i'm thinking similar, its hard to find decent spots to put gauges in AU's.
Old 31-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the under ashtray pod is AWESOME quality
i got mine 2nd hand and its perfectly fine

its actually a member on here who makes them
just easier to sell via ebay
Old 31-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Joe is buying my old gauge holder I took out of the AU before trading it in.

The problem with mechanical gauges is that you will need to run an oil line into the cabin to the gauge .... something i wouldn't be safe with myself.

When i got myself my gauges i got electrical gauges and mounted the Autometer sender off a T-piece (still need the factory switch/sender attached for the ECU).

My old gauge pod fitted that snugly under the ashtray that I didn't even need to use the velcro tabs at all (they still have the protective backing on the adhesive sections.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i also havnt used the velcro tabs

and i have electric guages (mechanical items are actually illegal)

i have a trans temp and a A/F guage both autometer
but havnt got them hooked up as i need to tap into the trans setup somewhere and thats gonna be A)expensive or B) messy

so ill wait till i get a trans service and get it done then
Old 31-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I was looking at running a t-piece in one of my hoses to/from the auxilliary cooler when i get it ... I just need to figure out where I am going to put it.

I am interested ... as I am looking at getting a trans temp gauge to go with my oil pressure and volt meter as well (as I am looking at getting the PPI Tripod for the BF now.
Old 31-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
JoesAu

well i might have to go back and change em for electrical ones, the mechanical water temp one would be easy to install. i would'nt be keen on running a oil into the cabin as welll
Old 31-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I think mechanical you really can only use underbonnet anyway ... mechanical is much better as all you need to do it run the wiring into the cabin only.
Old 31-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
JoesAu

well they didnt have elec ones, so i got my money back, i buy different ones
Old 31-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think if i went to enzed or pirtek they would have fittings to make a T type installation for the trans temp guage but they arnt overly cheap are they?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I had a T-piece for my oil pressure sender of the side of teh bloke ... and it didn't cost much at all .... I ust told them the thread sizes and types and they got it in for me .... I got it from Pirtek ... was about $15-ish.