Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-09-2008, 11:47 PM   #31
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

While the FG may be the best falcon ever produced in this country, it doesn't mean it will equate to sufficient sales to keep production in broadmeadows going into the future. Even if the FG (or at least its platform) is very competitive worldwide, one can't be sure there is a sufficient market for large RWD cars around the world to make future development worth it. Ford aren't sure, as noted by Mullaly himself on a recent trip here. While it would seem logical the Mustang and other lincoln models could use a Falcon platform (and the integration of the US Duratec V6 fits in well here) the trend in the US RE emission regulatoins, the europeans general aversion to high volume RWD cars and the continual decline of the large car in Australia makes this increasingly unlikley IMO.

I'm a huge Falcon fan, my family has a big falcon history and for my sake, i hope the falcon lives on as an aussie produced (and largely designed) vehicle. The FG is a staggeringly good vehicle, built on a miniscule developmental budget, and it is literally the best truly affordable large RWD vehicle on the planet. I also think that is has a role to play in the aussie, and world market .

But i don't think it is wise for people to denigrate Ford for 'moving away' from the Falcon to the Focus size platform. It is exactly what the business requires....the market wants smaller size, FWD cars. At the very least, environmental/economic/legislative factors favour FWD. If Ford can make a business case for exports (and local sales) of FWD C1 platform cars out of broadmeadows we should be happy. After all, the C max, Kuga SUV, focus, mondeo etc. are all on this platform.

Holden's gamble on the US market has (and will continue) to deliver squat.....exports to China/Mid East are ok for now, but many other people are/will gunning for those markets too. Local Holden sales are on the back of huge discounting too.... Toyota Aus is already under huge pressure RE its export programs, and in recent years has gone heavilly to fleets to move cars - e.g camry/corolla. Mazda (and honda/VW etc.) has been very successful, selling to private buyers in large numbers - BUT has anyone noticed it has largely been on the back of FWD, small/mid size vehicles.

Ford can and do produce great vehicles, but where they are designed or built shouldn't matter as much as getting people to actually buy these great cars. Don't get me wrong, i want to preserve aussie jobs in car manufacturing, but as much as i love the Falcon, if that has to be done with FWD Fords then so be it. If Ford needs a large car platform, then IMO it should be designed here and based on a global falcon....as for if and where it is built....i fear the aussie market is far to small to have any say in that.....Alot of people on here abuse Tom Gorman, but in a way he was just making the hard call. He started a shift in Ford Aus attention from falcon, to a more balanced line up with small euro designed fords at its core. Osbourne has cointinued this.....you'd be a silly man to rule out Kuga SUV exports out of broadmeadow by 2015....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 01:50 AM   #32
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

who said we are making focus here down the track? ford have not been approved at all! they have 3 targets to make to prove to ford US that they can successfully make it here. they missed number two. without focus, this will be the last falcon. and without focus, the falcon will never recieve the new v6. falcon will simply stop in 2010. simple. why else do u think the president jumped ship?

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 02:21 AM   #33
220XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GHIA
How fat is that.....

Nice wheels and headlight covers.
220XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 02:31 AM   #34
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_4.0
who said we are making focus here down the track? ford have not been approved at all! they have 3 targets to make to prove to ford US that they can successfully make it here. they missed number two. without focus, this will be the last falcon. and without focus, the falcon will never recieve the new v6. falcon will simply stop in 2010. simple. why else do u think the president jumped ship?
I changed my mind, I'll let them build the Focus. And he didn't leave on his own accord, I gave him the boot.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #35
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
Whats good?

Ford stuffed up, plain and simple haha!

They are selling cars for their market, not enthusiests, so now entusiests can look elswhere.
Car "enthusiests"(sic) form a tiny portion of the market.
If Ford only focused on "enthusiests", they would go broke.
The average buyer could not give a royal red rectum about "performance" or anything along those lines.
They want a car that is reliable, comfortable, and pleasant to drive.

I wouldn't say the VE Omega, or the Aurion are cars for "enthusiests", yet they sell well.

Thumbs up to Ford.

I suspect many people who critique the car are not even in the market anyway, so Ford wouldn't care.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_4.0
I've heard similar rumours, that if Falcon and Territory numbers continue to decline the Focus won't be made here at all, and the place will most likely shut. This is a very serious time for Ford Australia.

The FG is a brilliant car let down by the most useless sales and marketing team in existance.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #37
nutter_x
Nange Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Agreed.
+1

How many of the naysayers have actually driven an FG? They are the first new Falcon since the AU that I actually got out of thinking "I could easily live with one of these"

And yes, I have driven various BA/F models, and whilst they were nice, they never quite hit the spot.
T2 TE50 #082 in Galaxy Blue

• ESS Auto • Twin 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust by Manta • Premium Brakes • 18" Azzuros • Premium Sound • K&N Filter •

1985 XF Falcon GL

• 4.1 • 4 Speed Manual • 15" Steelies • Snow White • Otherwise stock...for now •

2004 Porsche Cayenne S

• 4.5 V8 • 6 Speed Auto • 19" OEM Alloys in Bronze • Crystal Silver • Sunroof • PASM • The grocery getter
nutter_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #38
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
Well guys if and I say if, Ford actually do what the general motoring press (and I agree with them) have suggested for years and have the Falcon and Mustang use the same underpinnings, suspension components etc, this would greatly reduce costs and provide better return for monies invested, both them could also become 'world cars' but no, they just sit on their laurels as per usual!

Anyway just my 2 cents.
From what I heard in the late 90's they tried to morph Falcon and Mustang platfroms together. Apparently Ford Oz was too busy on working on the BA and Ford U.S. didn't want the expense of IRS for the Mustang so they went of in their own direction with the Mustang ending up with a live-axle suspension just as expensive as the control-blade.

Personally I think Ford should have NEVER have dropped the live-axle model Falcons.

I think for fleets IRS is not really needed and scrapping it would have saved money and weight. I'm confident they could have built a live-axle Falcon XT weighing 1600 kilos with XF 6SPA and delivering 9.8L/100km. If weight saving and transmission didn't reach the class leading 9.8L/100km than I'm sure the addition of a destroked 3.3L engine would have helped then Ford could have had a very simple message.

Ford Falcon XT MORE FUEL EFFICIENT THAN TOYOTA CAMRY WITH CLASS LEADING FIVE STAR SAFETY
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post