Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Default Hot laps

Just want to say I'm having 5 laps round Calder tomorrow morning - a Birthday pressie from a few friends - I think I'll be choosing the XR8 instead of the SS just to remain true to the blue oval brand !

Anyway, that's all... hopefully the track is not too wet in the morning !

Old 03-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
JoesAu

hey mate, ive done it, hopefully you dont get a car with the gear shifter thats rooted. Also the power isnt that great, probly the equivalent of a bf Gt with a flash tune. The thing that will amaze ya is the brakes, grip and handling, make sure you throw everything you have at it cos the things love it and they hold the road so awsome. What can i say just thrash it i did, i got told off for harsh gear changes, 'what the heck it was already stuffed i was just jamming it that quick into gear it was like a auto lol
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
GUTLES
Adam.

I've done the one @ Calder & and one at Paul Morris's test track in QLD (which included a few hotlaps with Steven Richards in a TE50 which was amazing!).

As JoesAu said, the power lets ya down, but don't be scared to throw it into a corner hard, brake late & plant it half way through the corner, enjoy it, it feels like you've only done one lap by the time its over!

Jump in a XR8 for sure, I did mine in a FPV stickered BA a few years back..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontPom
Just want to say I'm having 5 laps round Calder tomorrow morning - a Birthday pressie from a few friends - I think I'll be choosing the XR8 instead of the SS just to remain true to the blue oval brand !

Anyway, that's all... hopefully the track is not too wet in the morning !
You will have a ball lots of noise and they stop good not sure about the power but : take a extra $100 for the video and framed happy snap and dont be frighten to hold it flat and rev the crap out of it on the down change, if you pick it up qwick enough you can bag 1/2 the 10/15 car field in 5 laps :thebirds: the only problem then is you finish before everyone else :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Well, having never driven a V8 car in anger before I can honestly say it was great fun !

I managed to bag a free extra lap because the in car DVD recorder was not working, so jumped out of one XR8 into another (with 'Maverick' in the side window)

I overtook several people after getting used to the handling, which was sensational - power took a while to come in as it revved quite slowly I reckoned, but the foot was flat to the floor from before the apex onwards, until the braking point at the end of the next straight.

The instructor reckoned we hit around 200km/h on the main straight (which is the Calder drag strip) but the biggest surprise was undoubtedly the sheer amount of grip these things had !

I was a little disappointed with the inability to smoke up the rear tyres or oversteer, although someone provided a bit of entertainment when it started to spit with rain and did a 180 spin on the main straight in front of everyone. No, I didn't really work out how they managed that either !

But yes, I did part with another $100 for the DVD and photo - like the sucker I knew I'd be !
Old 04-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #6
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Long as you had fun mate thats what it is about :thebirds: So what mods for the Monty next : :
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Drop in a V8, set of slicks... LOL I wish...

Going to be selling it on soon as the wife wants something smaller to drive, we've got a bit of fleet restructuring to do here you see, so still crunching numbers and have not decided on a replacement.

All I know is I have my heart set on an FG XR6 Turbo !