Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: How do most people pay for their cars?
Finance - personal loan, through home loan, etc. 103 40.08%
Lease - through work or finance company 33 12.84%
Cash - saved up over a period of time 110 42.80%
Other ??? 11 4.28%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #61
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I bought my car with cash. I will avoid a loan at all costs and I doubt I will ever by a new vehicle, even though I could.
and a good idea maybe for you, but someone has to .or wee would get driven back onto horses .no new cars =no jobs =no such thing as cars .back on topic finance is ok just be smart with your loan choice no probs
Old 21-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #62
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

vanman, fleets exist for the entire purpose of being able to buy cheap near new cars!!
Old 21-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #63
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Correct 500SEC. A 'good credit rating' is about as real as drop bears and the tooth fairy.

WAForce8 and gcg2503, why? There's so many people on this board with E-series cars! No-one needs to take out a loan for one of them!
If it was a poll was about E series then yeah I would find that believable. But there are a lot of guys on this forum who don't. I for one. But its just an opinion.
Old 21-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #64
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

WAForce8, i'm trying to display to you that the Pub captures a broad cross-section of this forum which includes many, many members who own inexpensive cars. I don't see any reason to why you should doubt the accuracy of this poll. Anyone's actions of having what the finance industry calls 'bad debt' (debt on a depreciating asset) is a representation of themselves, whilst this poll is a representation of this forum's members. Please don't cloud your expectations of others simply by your own choices.
Old 21-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #65
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
vanman, fleets exist for the entire purpose of being able to buy cheap near new cars!!
yes and not everyone wants a trashed secondhand white base model with a half arsed service record .this thread is about how people pay for their cars not justifying why you want a new 1 with the bells and whistles ,with the v8.
Old 21-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #66
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$20 grand home loan redraw, the rest cash/trade in
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #67
GTP-814
love the quad cams

finance only, who has cash these days.

I use others money
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #68
BADan

Will always pay cash for my cars (well bank cheque which is my money anyway). Don't particularly want to get into debt for one.
BADan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #69
73 coupe
XAllent

Smile cash only

my 1st car , back in 87 was a 64mini cooper S . think i paid a lil over 2k for it on m8's rates . sold it bout 5yrs ago and got 13,500 back , since then i've bartered , bought & sold an array of various vehicles alway's with the gr8 prize in mind ! a 73 XA fairmont coupe. which by the way i've had for precisely 6days , 23hrs , 12min's & 33 ,,, 34 sec's ,,, lol
73 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #70
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bank cheque.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #71
djst
Starter Motor

If i can not pay for it with cash,then i go without.
djst is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #72
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I had 5 cars on lease, and it was so frustrating watching all that money disappear (like rent) and once I decided to end leasing, I had no car to show for it, and no real money saved to buy a replacement. Then I tried "family loans", its ok for small $$$ but $10k isnt something that my family had laying around surplus. Once I borrowed that money I watched them suffer when finances got tough. WONT be doing that again!

I've come to the realisation (like djst) that if I dont have the money it doesnt kill me to wait til I do (and if I need a car or anything else ASAP, buy cheap as possible and save for the 'dream').

I will never buy new again, its deader than dead money. There are thousands of great quality almost new cars out there just waiting to give me a good deal.

Oh and that credit crap that people get served up by banks/or new car dealers, there is some truth in it all. I couldnt get a mortgage through NAB because we didnt take out a loan to buy our 2 cars. If we had taken a loan they would have given us what we asked for. But on the otherhand, its only there so those who are selling can sell, and those who are buying can have what they want without waiting.

Each to their own.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #73
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

The thing is, there's no point in going for champagne car on a beer income..

I have a work supplied vehicle. Yes its white and gets serviced every 10,000
every 20,000 the wheels come off wheel bearings etc are checked along with brake, steering etc
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #74
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Paid cash for every car ive owned. And in some cases actual cash to, bank cheques are a pain.

I could never justify a loan for a car, ever. A lease yeah, but not a loan. Not when you can have a reliable daily driver for like 3 grand these days. Hell you can have a realiable V8 for 3.5g these days.

Cash sucks in that I cant have that XR6 Turbo id like, but it means ill have a car that i can afford. Hence my LPG BA.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #75
Mr Hardware

Quote:
I couldnt get a mortgage through NAB because we didnt take out a loan to buy our 2 cars. If we had taken a loan they would have given us what we asked for.
BS. Get this. I got a home loan last year for $300k, single income, i was in a temp position at work and i was only on 50k a year then. I had 20 or so banks competing for my business, never had a loan before in my life.

Go to a mortgage broker. They're free and they'll do a darn sight better than you can do on your own.
Old 27-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #76
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

It won't be that easy now.. Esp without some deposit..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #77
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
It won't be that easy now.. Esp without some deposit..
I was reading an article in the paper the other day exactly on this subject.

It was basically saying that obtaining a home loan from any bank will be a lot more difficult from now on since the credit crisis.... particularly for first home buyers.

Anyone visiting a bank for finance will need to have a substantial deposit, steady employment and a first class credit rating .... or don't even bother trying!

Apparantly the banks are going to be a lot more "selective" as to who they lend money to in the future.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #78
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

XL to XM - cash
XR to XY GT – I give them half my house
GTHO PH 1 or 2 – I would have to give them 2 houses.
GTHO PH 3 – all of the above x 3 plus one of my kidneys and a picture of an 8 legged spider
XA to EL GT (including AU 5.6 strokers) – loan
XD to XF – cash
EA to AU (other than GT’s) – cash (you pay me to take it off your hands, no cheques)
BA to BF – cash
FG (everything from the Turbo/V8 up) – novated lease
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #79
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Current daily driver is a novated lease. When it's salary sacrificed, you're on the highest income tax rate and do 40-45,000kms a year, I think it makes a lot of sense. Have used finance plenty for previous cars, just watch the rates and how the loan is going. If you're not happy, change it.

vanman, you have too many cars :

Dave.
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post