Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 
Default Ford to sell jets, cut executive pay in return for $9bn lifeline

Troubled car giant Ford is to sell its five corporate jets, pay chief executive Alan Mulally a $1-a-year salary and scrap management bonuses in return for up to $9bn (£6bn) of lifeline funding from the US government.

Ford, which today submitted a detailed business plan to the US Congress in the hope of being granted its share of $25bn alongside General Motors and Chrysler, is planning to undertake drastic changes to its business model.

In a detailed 33-page plan, the 105-year-old car giant revealed that it has asked American politicians for up to $9bn in bridge financing, but stressed that it hopes to be able to make the necessary changes to its business “without accessing the loan.” The plan is predicated on Ford becoming break-even or profitable in its North American division and across the company as a whole in 2011.

If the US Congress agrees to grant Ford a loan, however, and Ford does use it, Mr Mulally has agreed to work for a salary of just $1, in what the plan called “a sign of his confidence in the company’s transformation plan and future.”

The gesture comes just weeks after Mr Mulally, when asked if he would be willing to accept a $1 salary, said: “I think I’m ok where I am.”

The Ford chief has received almost $50m in pay and benefits over the last two years, in addition to $752,000 spent on personal and family use of the corporate jets. In contrast, the company’s chairman, Bill Ford, has not taken a salary for four years.

As a sign that he has listened to lawmakers, Mr Mulally will also drive to Capitol Hill for hearings to be held in both the House and Senate this week, following criticism that the Big Three used private jets to travel to Washington during the last set of hearings in early November.

To emphasise Ford’s green credentials, Mr Mulally will travel to Washington in a Ford Escape Hybrid and a Mercury Mariner.

The business plan is heavily focused on re-engineering Ford to become an environmentally-efficient car manufacturer, spending $14bn in the US on “advanced technologies and products to improve fuel efficiency” over the next seven years.

Ford also said it would next month detail plans to boost the company’s family of hybrid vehicles, including work on a full battery-powered electric vehicle to be on sale by 2010.

The company also plans to cut its dealer base, and has already announced the possible sale of Volvo, the remaining of its European marques following the sale of Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata.

By James Quinn, Wall Street Correspondent

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
bob^
LPS

I'd work for a dollar too if my last bonus was around 9 million wasn't it?
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well he is smart. He can grandstand the $1 thing, while getting paid in full. He simply has to ensure Ford does everything needed to keep from drawing on the loan.

Now he can stand next to the GM and Chrysler guys and say "me too" to the $1 salary, while actually pulling in his normal full salary.

Ford needs a guy who can think smart and they might have found it. He has already "turned around" his $1 salary after all!

Interesting news about cutting back dealers too. I can nominate a few here for him to consider and I'll waiver my $1 fee. But seriously, if a few don't fall in the right regions in Aus, it would make sense for Ford Aust to reduce its dealer network. The volume of car sales is making all Ford dealers marginal - time to get rid of a few, so the rest can survive.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Sprint347
Tickford

Good, a shakeup the industry needed... here's hoping all manufacturers survive and end up with quality/technology/prices that rival that of the japanese imports.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Money where the mouth is...........pleased to see it.

Would have prefered to see one year at $1 as a true goodwill gesture after collecting $50 mill over the last two years...........but hey......I'm a bit of an extremist and I'm happy to admit that :-)

Good luck to the blue oval.......I think there generally ok but the other big two may well drag them down.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope everyone read the article carefully, Mullay is not getting paid a dollar unless he spends some of the money from congress he is asking to be put aside for Ford.

Now he doesn't have any plans to at present to spend this money and if GM and Chrysler keep their heads above water, he probably never will. So if all goes well for the big three he will be on full pay, while the other two go on the $1.

In other words "he will be comfortable with it".

A case of look at what I say in the media sound byte, not at what I take home this week.

To be fair, he's only been in the job two years and has been busy cleaning up the mess left behind for him, so I don't really think he deserves less than full pay anyway.

Dan
Old 03-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
AusM
AusMotorsport

$1 salary and $10 million in allowances and expense claims perhaps?

I wonder how they figure becoming break-even or profitable by 2011? How much of that is optimism?
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign

I wonder how they figure becoming break-even or profitable by 2011? How much of that is optimism?
Ah but $1 now is actually less than Lee Iacoca got when he too $1 per year in the early '80s (?) Chrysler problems.
Iacoca's 1$ would have got more than a coffe !
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I don't know how happy I would be to work for a company who's CEO has made that statement. Working in a large IT company and seeing everything cut to the bone by a CEO who's making a mint, one can only imagine the sort of cuts that are planned to make Ford appear profitable.

According to the company I work for, regardless of 10% growth and record quarters 5 quarters in a row, I won't be getting a bonus this financial, I won't be getting a pay rise for the 5th consecutive year and Christmas no longer exists...

I pity Ford's future employees.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign

considering no one is buying new cars I'd say its highly optermistic......

no one is worth $50m for 2 years work ,A company is Billions in the red and the CEO is being paid $25m a year, Its Obscene!...The US goverment should of hung them out to dry.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Red

no one is worth $50m for 2 years work ,A company is Billions in the red and the CEO is being paid $25m a year, Its Obscene!...The US goverment should of hung them out to dry.
Bill Ford earns nothing, the decision to take Alan Mulally and pay him big bucks was made when Ford where in about the same bad situation as today. They want a gaurentee of $9b in the bank to use if the situation demands it, while it seems American Leyland simply wants the money to keep the doors open. Its not suprising that they have asked for a handout just as deserving as the other 2 and shouldn't be left to fend for themselves if American Leyland is given a free kick by way of taxpayer money.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #12
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It still sounds as though Ford is better placed than GM.

It has been reported that they are going to shed 31,500 jobs and close down certain brands of it's (so called) empire.

They have also said that without a grant of US$12 billion from the US government that they could be broke as early as January next year.

It certainly looks like interesting times ahead
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:

New cars are still being bought, that has only declined a fraction. Ford need to position themselves in the segments they are being bought. I'm puzzled as to why the Focus and Fiesta don't sell better than they do...

Philisophically, I'd agree that no-one is worth $25m per year to work, show me a leader of a country who earns that much (legally) but when you get vapid morons like Tom Cruise or David Beckham making that sort of money in a matter of weeks, a man responsible for millions of jobs globally has to be compensated fairly, so I don't begrudge him making those sorts of dollars.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #14
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Philisophically, I'd agree that no-one is worth $25m per year to work, show me a leader of a country who earns that much (legally) but when you get vapid morons like Tom Cruise or David Beckham making that sort of money in a matter of weeks, a man responsible for millions of jobs globally has to be compensated fairly, so I don't begrudge him making those sorts of dollars.
Very valid point Rodp. But then again I also think the big entertainers get too much too. Still these executives work alot harder.

Alan Mullaly is making the right decisions and has been doing so since he was hired. Cutting back on trucks, moving towards cars, moving towards the one Ford. He is the right man for the job.

The great Ford ship is in great hands.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Very valid point Rodp. But then again I also think the big entertainers get too much too.
Don't get me started... the salaries of those vapid morons who call Hollywood their home irritate me no end. The reason a family has to pay ~$100 for a family of 4 for a movie, drinks and popcorn is because we pay these tools millions for mollycoddling them through several weeks of stressful and world saving work. :\
Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #16
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
New cars are still being bought, that has only declined a fraction.
new car sales were down 11.7% in october and I read somewhere earlier that November sales are down 17% , which is a huge amount....and it is only going to get worse.....
Old 03-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
new car sales were down 11.7% in october and I read somewhere earlier that November sales are down 17% , which is a huge amount....and it is only going to get worse.....
Only time will tell..
Old 05-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Ford were targeting to be profitable in 2009, and they were ahead of schedule by being in the black for the first quarter of 08 before the credit crunch hit and stuffed it all up, so once the credit crisis is over I don't think they will have a problem being profitable by 2011, they would have been there anyway before the big blowup.

I don't see why Mullally shouldn't be paid what he gets, they were in debt before he got there and has done a brilliant job of starting to turn it around. Once the credit crisis is over he will finish the restructuring job. He deserves every cent he gets.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #19
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a side note, I wonder if a Ford jet "clunks" when taxing, surging of the motors when cold, rust in the tail and bad vibrations when braking or do they all do that? ;)

Dan
Old 05-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
On a side note, I wonder if a Ford jet "clunks" when taxing, surging of the motors when cold, rust in the tail and bad vibrations when braking or do they all do that? ;)

Dan
They own them, they don't make them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post