Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #31
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

A ricer handgun, now Ive seen it all.....

It looks good but lacks neons.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #32
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
You need to be a member of a Certified Pistol Club ...... cannot take the guns home or your a registered carrier ie: police & some security. I am sure HLC can fill it in with more detail but yes you can own a pistol!

Imitation firearms are illegal, even plastic ones, talking life size type, not little pop guns from the toy store. I had a magnum imitation a few years back. Was made from plastic from a model kit and when it was finished looked identical. Could it and do the lot. Now very illegal.

On classic gun collections, they still need to be registered even if they are not working.
:S Damn, I was looking at getting one or two as a collective thing of the guns I like. I saw this website http://www.collectorsarmoury.com.au/...y/default.html and was considering one but I didn't realise they were illegal. If you can't take it home, thats pretty crappy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #33
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in the States last July and was invited to a farm in the north of Minnesota to do some clay pidgeon shooting. I hadn't fired a gun since the 60's but managed to knock off the first 9 shots with hits. There were 15 shotguns to choose from (my three hosts brought 5 each!) and I quite enjoyed it. Don't ask me what the brands were.

After the shoot we called in to a weekend gun show at the local fair ground. It was held in the main hall which was bigger than a basketball stadium and was completely full of every kind of gun imaginable. They were laid out on tressle tables side by side and there were thousands of them. One row was completely pistols and I did a rough count of 700. The rest were rifles of every description and in a central display were AK 47's racked up with price tags starting at $169. I asked if I was allowed to buy one and the seller said yes if I could show him a passport. Down one complete side of the hall was all knives. It was an incredible array of weaponry, but I can only paint a word picture as cameras were forbidden.

Apparently this was a travelling show going from town to town.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #34
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
:S Damn, I was looking at getting one or two as a collective thing of the guns I like. I saw this website http://www.collectorsarmoury.com.au/...y/default.html and was considering one but I didn't realise they were illegal. If you can't take it home, thats pretty crappy.
Well in the states below no probs! I didnt know you could get them still in any state .... well there you go! Cant beleive there still selling them!
Quote:
We can only send replicas to an address in Qld, S.A. & W.A

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #35
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well in the states below no probs! I didnt know you could get them still in any state .... well there you go! Cant beleive there still selling them!
Yeah, I just saw that and I live in Victoria haha. It was just not meant to be. We have any rules with knifes? I'd like to get my hands on a Ka-Bar or something similar looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You need to be a member of a Certified Pistol Club ...... cannot take the guns home or your a registered carrier ie: police & some security. I am sure HLC can fill it in with more detail but yes you can own a pistol!

Imitation firearms are illegal, even plastic ones, talking life size type, not little pop guns from the toy store. I had a magnum imitation a few years back. Was made from plastic from a model kit and when it was finished looked identical. Coc it and fill will imitation bullets. Now very illegal.

On classic gun collections, they still need to be registered even if they are not working.
Of course you can take your handguns home. Replicas, depending on how accurate may or may not require registration/licencing but are again, legal.

If anyone is interested in shooting check your local legislation but it has been basicly the same in all states since 1997.

Almost anything can be legally owned by private people in Australia, it just depends on how much you want to spend and how many hoops you want to jump through.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #37
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Certain items sold here are intended for "private collections" or for "theatrical props"
it is not against the law to purchase these items in Queensland. It may be against
the law to carry these items, in a threatening manner, in a public place as with
pick handles, baseball bats, star pickets etc.

Among the thousands of Collectors items sold here, the following are the types we
ask you to be responsible with.
Replica Pistols - Lightweight Timber Batons - Extendable Batons - Plastic Toy Guns -
Display Swords - Survival Knives - Stage Handcuffs

It is the responsibility of the purchasers to conform to their own state laws when
holding such items in their possession.
It is unlawful in N.S.W. & VIC to have a Replica Pistol in your possession
unless you have the necessary licence for that state
ie: pistol licence

IIRC ..... When I went through the process as I nearly joined a 'few' years ago, pistols needed to be stored at the club ........ this may be incorrect so someone from vic can state for sure?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #38
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Nice rifle turbotaxi, I'm a big fan of the sako's, hard to find a bad one IMO..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #39
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I thought you could only take it back home and to the club. At least one guy I know does this and said it was legal. But not apart of a gun club so not 100% sure.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #40
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i hate guns . but love pistols . i
"This is my rifle this is my gun, this is for killing and this is for fun"

Running around parade ground with rifle above head after calling it a "gun".
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #41
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

That is a very nice rifle BTW. Should take it back up myself. My favorite rifle that I owned was a Brno ZKK 600 in 30.06 with a two stage trigger. Nice.

My all time favorite is the L1A1 SLR.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #42
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check out that barrel on the Sako, nice turbotaxi.
I have a BSA in a 223 that I had reemed from a 222 because I was given about a 1000 rounds of because the owner had to hand in his Ruger mini 14 that was a 223 so I scored the ammo.
Funny, I have a 310 cadet rifle too.

Last edited by jaydee; 02-01-2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spell
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #43
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Ruger mini 14
Had one many moons ago in stainless steel. What a toy.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #44
JAZZA315
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Of course you can take your handguns home. Replicas, depending on how accurate may or may not require registration/licencing but are again, legal.

If anyone is interested in shooting check your local legislation but it has been basicly the same in all states since 1997.

Almost anything can be legally owned by private people in Australia, it just depends on how much you want to spend and how many hoops you want to jump through.
What about an AR15 derivative, being a semi auto i thought they'd be banned. Not quite sure why they sell them to the public in the states but a Barret 82A would be a nice weapon to own, if you had the money to kit it out that is.
JAZZA315 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #45
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty much any military assault rifle (AR15) Are illegal. But you still can get semi auto rifles but you have to show cause, cant have bigger than a certian sze mag. Mate who is a property ower in primary industry has a 5 round semi auto .22 for clearing the the paddocks of verman. But cant take it of the property not even to the local rifle range.

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 12:52 AM   #46
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting stock Did you put that on?

Mates old man has a stock like it on his Comp rifle a .308 that he does i think 900Yard shoots with.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:08 AM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishingdogs
Pretty much any military assault rifle (AR15) Are illegal. But you still can get semi auto rifles but you have to show cause, cant have bigger than a certian sze mag. Mate who is a property ower in primary industry has a 5 round semi auto .22 for clearing the the paddocks of verman. But cant take it of the property not even to the local rifle range.
An AR15 (semi auto) is a Cat D weapon. Anyone holding a Cat D licence can own and use one.
Cat D licences are available to primary producers, professional shooters, trainers, vets, dealers, armourers etc etc.

There is no difference in law between an AR15 and a Browning BAR, Rem 742 or any other semi auto centre fire rifle.

A M16 or M4 (select fire) is a Cat E or R depending on the state (same cat different letter). These are more restricted and are mostly found in law enforcement, theatrical, training and of course dealers and armourers.

I have owned, used and sold many of both quite legally up until I got out of the gun industry a couple of years ago. I still know several people who own and use them legally.

Again, look up the legislation.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #48
JAZZA315
Banned

Looks like i'll be applying for a cat D licence then, wonder whats involved.
JAZZA315 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #49
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
HLC that looks very trick! Love the chrome and the see through grip. I used to use a norinco knock of of the .45 in was fun, but probably built to lower tolerances that the 1911 version. But that looks much more respectable! I want to get back into pistol shooting too - there is a bit of a following out here but I have just let it all slide for a few years
cheers mate! .45's were great fun til they got banned to us average joe's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
lol, it looks like it kept NO parts of the original except internals.
most of it is original. just modified. only parts that were changed, were the trigger, hammer, sear, ambi safety, mainspring housing, recoil spring, grips, and the magwell. everything else was just modified.

Quote:
Wow .... that the same gun? Is it all cosmetic or for better balance/lightness?

Only been pistol shooting a couple of times but couldnt hit the side of a barn at 10 paces .... needs great skill, more than I could muster and look at pistol shooting totally different. I will stick to rifles and shotguns.
yeah same gun hahha ummm some of the mod's have added to the 'shootability' of the gun. like the lightened slide, hammer, and recoil spring will make it cycle faster, and the magwell adds some weight at the rear to help balance it.

BUT, a lot of it is just cause i wanted to be different. clear grips, the drilled front sight, and the chrome do nothing for the functionality, other than get me heaps of looks lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZZA315
What did it cost to kit it out like that mate, is all the gear made locally or did you import it from the states.
STI Trojan: $1600
Parts: $450
Custom work: $2500-3000
Having the most wicked gun in the state or even country: Priceless

haha well i reckon its the most wicked gun in the country lol so does my gunsmith haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
I thought you couldn't own pistols? Whats the laws reguarding them? P.S that looks awesome. I like 1911s hehe. Also, while i'm on the topic, whats the go on imitation firearms/replicas?
sure can mate. check out the NSW Firearms registry website to go through the details. there are a fair few hoops to jump through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
A ricer handgun, now Ive seen it all.....

It looks good but lacks neons.
funny you say that. we did think of putting LED's in the base of the magwell to shine into the grips and onto the ground aaha. usless.. but more of a "could we can"

cheers for the compliments
Old 03-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #50
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Interesting stock Did you put that on?

Nah - bought it as a rifle with mounts, but the stock was on it. I only added the scope and bi pod.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #51
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Beautiful rifle mate. My old man used to have a Sako .222 magnum which was a round that was phased out years ago and replaced by the .223 round. Ballistically, they're virtually that same. We used to load our own ammo and go bunny busting using the Hornady 'super explosive' projectiles. They used to be the softest available and would absolutely destroy something the size of a rabbit. Actually good for foxes too as they wouldn't actually exit......just disintegrate inside for an instant kill. No good for heavier game though though as you need more penetration.

Used to go pig hunting years ago and my favourite weapon of choice was a Marlin .45/70 lever action. Choice of 300 or 400 grain flat nose projectiles!!! She was a beauty! My old man had a Remington 7mm magnum. Now THAT was a rifle that packed some punch, and shot very flat over range as well.

Have fun mate, and be safe.

Cheers,

Brent.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #52
belvo

im a bit of a noob with guns but does the 223 & 222 mean it got 22.2 barrel or bullet width
belvo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #53
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvo
im a bit of a noob with guns but does the 223 & 222 mean it got 22.2 barrel or bullet width
0.22 of an inch. or 5.56 millimeters.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #54
tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
my favourite weapon of choice was a Marlin .45/70 lever action

BOOOOOM - haha, gota love the ol big bore leverguns, got two Marlins chambered in 45/70 and 357....the latter being the perfect sidekick for my Smithasaurus 686....The leverguns barely get any use however - fun as they may be.
tempest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post