Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-12-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 
Default AU2 standard a/c intermittant running.

Hey all, went on a drive to the coast today and found that the a/c was only working part of the time. It's been serviced a few months ago and has been working ok until today. The car normally does short trips of only a few kms per day which is probably why it hasn't shown up until todays long trip. I'm going to take it back to the a/c guy when he starts back after the new year break but I just thought I'd ask here first. It worked ok for the first 10 ks then it was normal outside temp for about 50 ks, then got cold again. Same scenario for return trip...low gas perhaps?

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...71#post6891271

2006 Lightning Strike BF Fairlane Ghia...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Could be too high gas pressure, gives an aircon over pressure alarm and shuts it off, happened to our fairlane after getting fixed. it would in particular stop working on hotter days when left idling with no air movement.
Old 30-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i recall reading something on here recently about this, i think it was a high pressure problem due to the tx valve being blocked...?

this may help http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11244488
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 03:56 AM   #4
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll get the gas level checked out next week.
One more thing, is this "orifice tube" only in high level climate control cars or is it found in standard a/c cars as well...and where is it located in the system?

Old 31-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Having the same trouble here but mainly when on AUTO (high level climate control). so i press AUTO and then once AC starts i adjust the fan speed down and AC stays on. But even then sometimes it just shuts off, gonna get it looked at next week as its getting hot up here.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
qldwagons
auto elec and aircon

orifice tubes are in all au/ba fords they are at the entrance to the evaporator tubing so not a quick job to replace as u have to evac the system of gas first

Last edited by qldwagons; 06-01-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: spelling error
qldwagons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by qldwagons
orifice tubes are in all au/ba fords they are at the entrance to the evaporator tubing so not a quick job to replace as u have to evac the system of gas first
Thanks mate....

Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Look for the big nut on the aluminium pipe on the left hand mudguard area, orifice tube is in there. Dont undo it, gas will pour out.

Sometimes they block up, especially if system has been opened

They can be sensitive on gas as well, Ford says put in 800mls (or whatever)
But I found my cabs worked best on around 500mls, it varied from car to car so I just added gas until it worked good on the a/c guages and temp wise.

Other option is blocked condensor behind dashboard, AU had no filter so all kinds of stuff gets in there, especially if you use Fresh air a lot.

No excess bugs etc in radiator, prevents cooling properly?
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post