Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #61
Saiken
Cobra Motorsports

Tasmania
Tasmania is presently in the process of reforming the conditions applying to P platers with a stepped P1 (zero alcohol, P plates displayed and an 80km/h speed limit for one year) and P2 (speed restriction lifted, no P plate display, zero alcohol for two years) system, although it appears there will continue to be no restrictions on the types of cars that may be driven by P platers. The new regulations will come into effect from June 2008.

She can legally drive it.
FOR SALE1996 EF Series 2 Fairmont Ghia | Ported and Polished Head with Bigger Valves and Springs, Wade 1636, AU Head Gasket, 3.45 LSD, Shift Kitted Auto, RDA Slotted Rotors, QFM Performance Pads,Hornet Scooped Bonnet :evil3: , Custom CAI

Cobra Motorsports
Saiken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #62
TadKa
Wait? What?

Just a query then. Whats stopping an interstate p plater getting a Tas licence and using it to drive a more powerful car interstate? I remember when I was a p plater visiting my at the time gf in Geelong and I wanted to borrow her old mans v8 statesman de ville and they said I wouldn't be allowed to drive it. I said it shouldn't be a problem and took it down the shops.... where it stayed for quite a while as the piece of crapped itself.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #63
Saiken
Cobra Motorsports

You need proof of residence. I have a friend who lives in Swan Hill and holds a SA drivers license and has since he was 17 (has family in adelaide). And besides if you was going to do that, get a Qld license, qld registration and get a turbo e-series engineered easily :P

But you do need proof of residence, ie. bills, letters, etc
FOR SALE1996 EF Series 2 Fairmont Ghia | Ported and Polished Head with Bigger Valves and Springs, Wade 1636, AU Head Gasket, 3.45 LSD, Shift Kitted Auto, RDA Slotted Rotors, QFM Performance Pads,Hornet Scooped Bonnet :evil3: , Custom CAI

Cobra Motorsports
Saiken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #64
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go for it, it's a wonderful car.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #65
TP351
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
My falcon might be up for sale in a month or two Hopefully getting my bosses Alfa Brera as a work car when he upgrades to a 911. Will miss the falcon though if it happens.
I know this is a little off topic. But mate, keep the Falcon and ditch the Alfa!

I friend once told me that "driving an Alfa is like being pleasured by a mate - sure, it probably feels OK. But you wouldn't want anybody seeing you doing it!"
TP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #66
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'd spring for my better half an XR5 if she had a good 10-15 years of driving under her belt and a good record and head behind the wheel of a car.

If I was your age and my 17yr old fiancee wanted me to buy her an XR5 I'd be thinking that my reaction was being filmed to stick on youtube.

If this relationship has legs, there's plenty of time to get together and buy her a dream car. In the meantime, have her driving something safe and within a reasonable price rance so that you won't be tearing your hair out when she puts a whole lot of dings in it. It'll happen, without a doubt.

On the financial side, I'd also not want to set a precedent to a 17yr old that if she bats her eyelids enough, I'll dig deep into my pocket. If I were in your position, I'd actually have her spring for the loan and support her while she paid it off, responsibility at that age is a good thing. Entitlement is hard (read, impossible) to squash ones they feel they have it.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #67
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I'd spring for my better half an XR5 if she had a good 10-15 years of driving under her belt and a good record and head behind the wheel of a car.

If I was your age and my 17yr old fiancee wanted me to buy her an XR5 I'd be thinking that my reaction was being filmed to stick on youtube.

If this relationship has legs, there's plenty of time to get together and buy her a dream car. In the meantime, have her driving something safe and within a reasonable price rance so that you won't be tearing your hair out when she puts a whole lot of dings in it. It'll happen, without a doubt.

On the financial side, I'd also not want to set a precedent to a 17yr old that if she bats her eyelids enough, I'll dig deep into my pocket. If I were in your position, I'd actually have her spring for the loan and support her while she paid it off, responsibility at that age is a good thing. Entitlement is hard (read, impossible) to squash ones they feel they have it.
Sage advice RodP!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #68
pottsy44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
A lot of green eyes on here at the moment.

The reality of this is that regardless of how much money you have, you can't buy experience.
The XR5 Turbo is a reasionably quick front wheel drive car that, like all "quickish" cars will turn around and bite you if you do not watch it.

It will accellerate quite well and is very happy and stable at speed so an inexperienced driver will quite easily get themselves into a situation where they are going too fast for a stop sign, corner or whatever where a decission has to be made quickly.

This can happen in any car but the quicker the car, the easier it is for it to get away from you. This is not about 200km/k on the freeway, it is about 0-60km/h accross an intersection while driving around town and then some idiot steps out of the footpath or departs a parking space.

Making quick sensible decissions requires practice.

I have just taught 3 girls aged between 16 and 19 to drive and they ALL were very bad at judging speed, stopping distance required and distance. They ALL ran stop sign and red lights because they braked too late, ALL ended up on the wrong side of the road in corners and ALL missed turn offs because they were going too fast although none of them ever really exceeded the speed limit except when they did not notice the limit signs due to 100,000 excuses.

A much better and safer route would be to buy a much lesser powered but equally safe car so that she has more time to make decissions and gets better at it.
Then, after she has 40 or 50 thousand KMs of experience, buy a bigger faster better gooder one.

She is your fiance, you want to be with her for the rest of her life. You do NOT want that to be measured in weeks or months........
sounds like a crappy teacher to me
pottsy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #69
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes87
but i wasn't sprouting about how much ive got
You having a laugh or something?

Some of your more stellar quotes from this thread alone!

"money is no option"

"im not just a rich that spends it cos hes got it"

"like i said b4 tho the moneys not a problem i already own my house"

"not gonna say how i got the money just that i got alot"

"very judgemental forum"

Why wouldn't anyone here look forward to your "future threads" with nothing but complete anticipation, what could they be? .... perhaps,

"Hey guys ... I slept with Megan Fox last night"

"Let me tell you all about my days as an Astronaut!"

or perhaps ...

"I just beat up a chapter of the Hells Angels, .... on my own!"

Get over yourself mate and settle down a bit ... you have "possibly" come into some money you admit to not working for ... good luck to ya, but at the end of the day ... it's a Ford Focus your talking about here, not an Aston Martin!

There are plenty of people around here that have a "whole ton of cash" and others who are "not so fortunate" .... but nobody here blows their own trumpet for either having the stuff or alternatively "crying foul" if they fall into the latter category.

This is just a community of like minded individuals enjoying and sharing their love of not only Fords, but automobiles in general, while having a few laughs, and tears along the way.

Tone it down a bit and you'll fit in just fine

Welcome to the Forums, Rob.

BTW: for the record ... "The XR5 is an superb motor vehicle", very underated here in Australia and unfortunately lives in the shadows of it's larger Australian Made cousins which is "arguably" not deserved of it's potential.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #70
AusM
AusMotorsport

Another minor consideration is that she'll need 95+RON fuel. I know that just a few years ago there was almost no 98RON on the island, but I guess that's more available now?
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #71
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I friend once told me that "driving an Alfa is like being pleasured by a mate - sure, it probably feels OK. But you wouldn't want anybody seeing you doing it!"

Your mate is a very funny man .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #72
capriv8

[

Why wouldn't anyone here look forward to your "future threads" with nothing but complete anticipation, what could they be? .... perhaps,

"Hey guys ... I slept with Megan Fox last night"

"Let me tell you all about my days as an Astronaut!"

or perhaps ...

"I just beat up a chapter of the Hells Angels, .... on my own!"

Ease up he might be Australias Forrest Gump lol
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 12:42 AM   #73
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP351
I know this is a little off topic. But mate, keep the Falcon and ditch the Alfa!

Dont listen to this dude.
Alfa is an old respected marque.
Grand Prix winner, with many classic cars.

Anyway get her a nice Zetec.
More than enough power for a 17 year old.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #74
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a 2nd thought, you better off importing the 2009 Focus RS.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #75
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok. i see what yous are all saying. like i said, should have worded those comments beter. i didn't mean them to sound the way they did. il keep it toned down a bit next time. thanks for all the advise
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #76
TadKa
Wait? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Dont listen to this dude.
Alfa is an old respected marque.
Grand Prix winner, with many classic cars.

Anyway get her a nice Zetec.
More than enough power for a 17 year old.
LOL, yeah it's a pretty nice car. Not what I would buy for the money but if it gets salary packaged as a pay rise I'll take it. The girls love it. However so do the guys.... if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes87
ok. i see what yous are all saying. like i said, should have worded those comments beter. i didn't mean them to sound the way they did. il keep it toned down a bit next time. thanks for all the advise
On another note I hear this website might be handy http://australianetwork.com/learnenglish/

Oh and yeah Tassie has BP Ultimate available now. I think that's the only 98 though. Maybe United e10 98?
Old 15-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #77
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
LOL, yeah it's a pretty nice car. Not what I would buy for the money but if it gets salary packaged as a pay rise I'll take it. The girls love it. However so do the guys.... if you know what I mean.

On another note I hear this website might be handy http://australianetwork.com/learnenglish/

Oh and yeah Tassie has BP Ultimate available now. I think that's the only 98 though. Maybe United e10 98?

Come on, its no MX5 lol
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #78
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol. thanks tadka. yeah pretty sure its only the ultimate
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #79
TadKa
Wait? What?

Just stirring so you from north or south? I live at Rosny.
Old 15-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #80
tassie devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign
Another minor consideration is that she'll need 95+RON fuel. I know that just a few years ago there was almost no 98RON on the island, but I guess that's more available now?
out of the dark ages now 95 is everywhere now and 98 is ok around hobart and surrounding areas
ive got a wrx and the mrs had a xr4 before we got the xr6 and we have no problems getting fuel at all
tassie devil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #81
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Once she knows she can get money out of you she will start to rely on it and take advantage, trust me, i've learnt the hard way and have the bills to prove it. Its like an addictive drug, once they have it they just want more and more.

How long do you think a relationship with a 17 year old is going to last anyway? There's probably a 95% chance in 2 years time she'd be still driving that XR5 thinking how much of a sucker you were for buying her a car when you are no longer together.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post