Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Alanbxr8
BA XR8

Default Prohibited Vehicle Exemption

Has anyone successfully been granted a prohibited vehicle exemption in NSW, I am applying for my son to drive our EL 5.0 L V8, not what I would call a high performance car, I can not claim an employment exemption as he does not work for me

Please PM if you where able to get one.

Old 15-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it is the only family car he can be exempt, otherwise no chance.
Old 15-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

not a chance
Old 15-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanbxr8
Has anyone successfully been granted a prohibited vehicle exemption in NSW, I am applying for my son to drive our EL 5.0 L V8, not what I would call a high performance car, I can not claim an employment exemption as he does not work for me

Please PM if you where able to get one.
WHY???

Old 15-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Alanbxr8
BA XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
WHY???
Good question, it's because I would rather see him driving a car that I know is safe & has all the safety features that come with that car,it's a Ghia , instead of a car that he buys for $2K -$3 & can not afford to keep on the road, he is still at school with very little income

Finally I can't afford to keep 3 cars on the road.
Old 15-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
If it is the only family car he can be exempt, otherwise no chance.
This is correct only other exception is work vehicle. My kids are learning in the Impressa when they get their "p's" until they buy a car they will have to drive the family car that is the loophole. not everyone can own a pos I choose cars I like as I pay for them.

Totally agree with the post above we choose to have our kids in safe cars.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 15-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good question, it's because I would rather see him driving a car that I know is safe & has all the safety features that come with that car,it's a Ghia , instead of a car that he buys for $2K -$3 & can not afford to keep on the road, he is still at school with very little income

Finally I can't afford to keep 3 cars on the road.
Here is an idea, sell the V8 and together with his $2-3K buy a legal car for him. Cheaper rego and insurance and the life you save may be your sons.

There is a reason why these laws were brought in......
Old 15-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Froudey
Banned

he should be right driving it if it fits with the power to weight deely, is a bog standard el v8 the 164 or kilowatt motor? as a p plater could drive the stantard 187kw (or what ever it is) NA 6 cyl BA (which in theory or relaity could make mince meet of the older v8s).. but when did he get his p's? recently or prior 1 july 07?
Old 15-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froudey
he should be right driving it if it fits with the power to weight deely, is a bog standard el v8 the 164 or kilowatt motor? as a p plater could drive the stantard 187kw (or what ever it is) NA 6 cyl BA (which in theory or relaity could make mince meet of the older v8s).. but when did he get his p's? recently or prior 1 july 07?
NSW has the same laws as Victoria I think, which even if it is under the P:W limits, he has no chance, as its a V8. Even if you got a work exemption, means he can only drive it to and from work. Say he goes down the street for fish and chips, he can get busted for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 15-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Yeah good idea, buy him a Ba XT, which has 182 or so KW, but not let him drive an el 5L which has 168KW... :
Old 15-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
Alanbxr8
BA XR8

Quote:
My thoughts exactly, the car is only 176KW, however can legally drive a new N/A 6 that would eat the EL

He got his P's last week

No I'm not going to sell it as know the cars history & is worth more than I would get for it.
Old 15-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
Fordfan4u

This wont end nice I dont think..
I lost my licence, had to go back and re-do my 2 years of green P's, courts desicion. 8
I got stuck with the restrictions. I drive a BA XR8 daily.... it quickly ended up in dad's name so I could keep driving it.
The 'theory' behind the law is a good one, but it hasnt really been put to use all that well, its actually a bit of a joke now.
Me: What button?
Officer: The button for the clutch!!!
Me: [laughing so hard it hurts]
Old 15-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My thoughts exactly, the car is only 176KW, however can legally drive a new N/A 6 that would eat the EL

He got his P's last week

No I'm not going to sell it as know the cars history & is worth more than I would get for it.
Yes you would get maybe $2k-$3k for it. So why don't you get him to buy a 6 cylinder EL. They must be safe enough for you and you can share the cost of cable ties.
Old 16-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I went through a similar thing with my first car (not related to me not being able to drive it, but rather insurance issues), a VSII SS (5 speed). Immaculate car, but noone would insure me (I did know this prior to me buying it). So all I could get this side of $4000 per year for insurance was third party, fire and theft.
When I bought my New Typhoon, insurance wasnt a problem and they only wanted around $1500 a year for a 50K car, with double the power and torque. So yes fun and games!
Old 16-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #15
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What power weight restrictions? NSW does not have power weight restrictions.
In simple terms no V8, No turbo, no superchargers, no performance mods, no high performance 6.

For a clearer understanding of what the NSW rules are goto http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...ns.html?llid=4 and have a read.

And for exemptions:
A limited exemption from the prohibited vehicle condition may be granted if:

A prohibited vehicle needs to be driven for genuine employment purposes.
Eight or more cylinder 4WD vehicles are required by country drivers who have no practical alternative.
You can prove direct ownership of a prohibited vehicle prior to the start of the scheme or before an overseas/interstate licence transfer.
The principal family vehicle is a moderate-performance turbo/supercharged engine vehicle.
Note: NSW provisional licences issued prior to 11 July 2005 were not conditioned. However, the condition will be applied if the provisonal driver is disqualified for an offence committed on or after 11 July 2005. In these instances, the provisional holder may be granted and exemption if they can prove direct ownership of their current vehicle at the time of the offence that led to the disqualification.

Examples of moderate performance turbo/supercharged vehicles that may be eligible for exemption include (but not limited to):

Audi 1781 cc, A3 and A4
Mercedes-Benz 1796 cc, C180, CLK200K, E200K, C200, C230 and SLK 200K
Saab 1988 cc, 9-3 Linear, Arc and Vector
Volvo 2521 cc, S80, XC70 and XC90
Volkswagon 1781 cc, Passat, Beetle and Golf

note, V8 (non 4WD) is not on the list
Old 16-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Yes you would get maybe $2k-$3k for it. So why don't you get him to buy a 6 cylinder EL. They must be safe enough for you and you can share the cost of cable ties.
bwahahahahahaha
that's awesome.
Also alanbxr8, stop crying poor. You own two V8s.
Old 16-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #17
Marduk
BFII XR6

Used to be power to weight.

You can get an exemption if that's the only car available for him I believe.

But in the end it's up to whether you think your son is responsible enough.
Old 16-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #18
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is a reason why these laws were brought in.....
And what reason is that? P-Plate hooning has INCREASED in recent times. There are more high speed crashes, street racing and just plain 'hooning' p-platers than ever before. Prohibiting V8's make absolutely no difference whatsoever. Have a look at the majority of young hoons cars; hotted up jap cars (with plenty of 6 cyl commos too). Most of them with barely any go in them at all. Where there is a will there is a way, even in a golf cart.
Old 17-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
Alanbxr8
BA XR8

I thank you all for kind words of wisdom, please consider the following.

There are reasons why new drivers have restrictions placed upon them.
Least of which is to gain experience whilst driving at lower speeds, how then can he do this if he does not have access to a car. It is possible that he could gain a full license without having driven at all, unlikely but possible. That would not be in the publics best interest or his.

Remember it is not a powerful V8, I also have an XR8 no way would I allow him to drive that car.

"The life I save may be his own" see above it's not a fast car & I know it's road worthy, from experience I know what cars teenagers prefer to drive as I was one, spent more money on sound systems, mag wheels & exhaust than on keeping the car road worthy
Old 17-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #20
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
stop crying poor. You own two V8s.
haha since when does owning two V8's make you rich ???
Old 17-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thank you all for kind words of wisdom, please consider the following.

There are reasons why new drivers have restrictions placed upon them.
Least of which is to gain experience whilst driving at lower speeds, how then can he do this if he does not have access to a car. It is possible that he could gain a full license without having driven at all, unlikely but possible. That would not be in the publics best interest or his.

Remember it is not a powerful V8, I also have an XR8 no way would I allow him to drive that car.

"The life I save may be his own" see above it's not a fast car & I know it's road worthy, from experience I know what cars teenagers prefer to drive as I was one, spent more money on sound systems, mag wheels & exhaust than on keeping the car road worthy
True it is not a "powerful" V8 but it is the same basic engine as a T3 which IS a powerful V8. 253 holdens are even less powerful. It is also interesting to note that a EL XR6 is actually quicker the the Ghia.

The laws are made to be reasionably simple for the average person to understand. Originally it was just V8s and turbos. Then someone pointed out that Porsche 911s, M3s 350Zs etc were all ok for P platers but still a bit too powerful so they and their ilk were specifically added.

You say your EL is "not powerful" and want and exemption. Is that just for you or for all ELs? If just for you then what makes you more important than everyone else and if for all ELs then what about EFs or EBs or VNs or whatever.

You could point out the the appropriate authorities that the "legal" XR6s are more powerful but the probable result will be having XR6s added to the banned list. This will NOT make you a lot of friends on here.

The tax act used to be a few pages long until the "special cases" were taken into concideration. Look at the mess now.
Old 17-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

How old is your lad? Does he not work?

Why do you think it is your job to support his need to drive?? If he is able to drive legally he is able to also do 20 or so hrs a week.

In a few months he can easily make a few grand, you make a deal with him that for every $1 he makes you also chip in $1, or 50c whatever.

If you want him to have a safe car, and can't get around the law, buy the EL or whatever and it will give him some pride in the fact he already has his OWN set of wheels that he has EARNT.

Once he has the car, he can reduce his hrs to just make enough to keep it on the road, say 10 hrs a week.

This worked for me, and plenty more.....
Old 17-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #23
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Quote:
There are reasons why new drivers have restrictions placed upon them.Least of which is to gain experience whilst driving at lower speeds, how then can he do this if he does not have access to a car.
Without being rude, if your son does not have enough experience to drive by himself, in whatever car, then he should still be on his L Plates.

You are not arguing this point for training purposes, his training as such is complete, he has handed in his Learner's Permit, and can now drive by himself yes? The fact that he cannot drive a V8 is not an issue. Having him in that car is not going to stop him from having accidents.

As has been said, if it is of that much concern, sell the V8 Ghia, and get him something that has all the same safety features, and is in the same mechanical condition but complies with the rules as they have been set out.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
Old 17-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #24
Alanbxr8
BA XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik
Without being rude, if your son does not have enough experience to drive by himself, in whatever car, then he should still be on his L Plates.

You are not arguing this point for training purposes, his training as such is complete, he has handed in his Learner's Permit, and can now drive by himself yes? The fact that he cannot drive a V8 is not an issue. Having him in that car is not going to stop him from having accidents.

As has been said, if it is of that much concern, sell the V8 Ghia, and get him something that has all the same safety features, and is in the same mechanical condition but complies with the rules as they have been set out.
His training is complete !!!!! Are you a politician ?? that's it, he now knows all he needs to know about driving by himself, the fact that he now has a P1 license with heavy restrictions would indicate that those wise people who make our laws believe there is much more to learn,something that is not happening now.

Try & get the point all V8's are not the same, for the last time The CAR is less powerful than todays N/A 6's something even the RTA acknowledge by offering exemptions
Old 17-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #25
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i agree there should be restrictions, but it seems stupid that they can drive a BF with 190kw, but not a V8 with a lot less power, maybe power to weight may be a better alternative
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Old 17-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For the people who keep raising the BA 6 cyl is more powerful than an ELV8 argument i see this anomaly simply as a yet to be picked up loop hole.. the more you scream about it to try to substantiate your point the more likely it will get closed....

Old 17-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #27
Busted

Quote:
His training is complete !!!!! Are you a politician ?? that's it, he now knows all he needs to know about driving by himself, the fact that he now has a P1 license with heavy restrictions would indicate that those wise people who make our laws believe there is much more to learn,something that is not happening now.

Try & get the point all V8's are not the same, for the last time The CAR is less powerful than todays N/A 6's something even the RTA acknowledge by offering exemptions
WOW talk obout Chines whispers. The question was can he get an exemption for his son to drive his V8 fairmont. The answer is yes but there are conditions.
How this became a debate on anything other than that is beyond me.
Old 17-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #28
Alanbxr8
BA XR8

Quote:
You could point out the the appropriate authorities that the "legal" XR6s are more powerful but the probable result will be having XR6s added to the banned list. This will NOT make you a lot of friends on here.
I did not mention any model 6 cylinder, you just did, BTW XR6's & XT's have the same motor.
Old 17-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #29
Alanbxr8
BA XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted
WOW talk obout Chines whispers. The question was can he get an exemption for his son to drive his V8 fairmont. The answer is yes but there are conditions.
How this became a debate on anything other than that is beyond me.
Yep if they read my first post I asked if anyone had actually been successful in getting one a simple yes or no would have done.
Let me do the worrying about his driving & his school work & girlfriends & everything else that parents worry about.
Old 17-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #30
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Closed at O.P request.
Closed Thread