Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
T-bone88
Starter Motor

Default Stiff Gear shift on 08 CL LT Focus

Hi guys.

Over the last couple of days I've noticed that changing up into 2nd gear from 1st gear requires a bit more work than previously (much stiffer) and changing into 1st gear after stopping again is much stiffer, and dare I say rougher than usual. The rest of the gears are acting fine and there aren't any crunching or other sounds associated with it.
The car has 6 and a half thousand k's on it.

I'm thinking it could be the clutch cable that just needs a tightning, but am not sure. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

T-bone88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
BlackLS
yum

The Focus clutch system is a hydraulic system.

How do you tend to drive it, what kind of loads? Perhaps get the gearbox oil checked.

Also check that there isn't anything inhibiting the gearshift throw-weight in the engine bay.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
T-bone88
Starter Motor

The focus is hydraulic? I never knew that.

I don't thrash it to bits (i'd like my car to last me some time) so I drive it with some care (I'm the guy who everyone overtakes as they push their car just to get upto the speedlimit after turning onto the road).

The load is only small, mostly 1 person, rarely 4, but mostly 1 person in the car.

The Gearshift throw-weight, where abouts in the engine bay would I be able to find it?
Old 27-04-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
BlackLS
yum

Its under the airbox, get someone to change gear and you'll see a weight being rotated around.

Old 27-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
T-bone88
Starter Motor

We found that, it's moving freely.

We are in Canberra, and the problem started just as we hit our excessivly cold autum (just look at the snow cams).
I'm no expert on Automobiles, but as the car has a hydraulic system, could the cold weather have anything to do with it? I doubt it as it's really only the 2 gears, but thought I'd cover all area's I can think of.
Old 27-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
BlackLS
yum

The Focus has been designed in Europe, I'm sure the car's design can handle the cold ok.

Have you tried any other Focus' to see if they are the same?

Old 27-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
T-bone88
Starter Motor

It's something I'd like to do, but alas haven't got access to another focus to try out. I'll try taking it to a dealer tomorrow and see what they say. But I tell you, it certainly isn't normal.
Old 27-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my focus started to get really hard to change into first and second. . . . same problem you said. it started at about 20,000km. i ended up getting that sick of it that i sold it and bought my Ranger. much happier with the Ranger
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

forgot to say at its 30,000km service i asked them to check the gearbox oil. which i'm presuming they didn't but said it was fine
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
BlackLS
yum

T-bone, has Ford checked it out?

Old 27-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

first to second in my car is a little tuff as well.. its really hit and miss, sometimes it will be fine others ill be waiting a good second or two trying to engage the stupid thing.
its always 1st to 2nd never any other gear..
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #12
T-bone88
Starter Motor

Hmm, seems to be a small recurring problem. Has anyone else had ford check it out?
1st gear is ultimatly tougher than 2nd gear. It almost feels like I'm trying to slot it into somewhere it doesn't belong. I'm hoping they don't try to pass it off as Wear and tear, or "normal" as it certainly wasn't like that when I bought it from them.

Anyway, Black, I am yet to take it to ford as today in the ACT was a public holiday, but plan on doing so tomorrow.
Old 28-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #13
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Focus may be designed in Europe, but its built in South Africa.
The oil they put in the gearbox may only be designed for hotter climates, maybe worth seeing what grade oil they use in Europe as opposed to what the Southern hemisphere gets.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
T-bone88
Starter Motor

Well took it to the dealer today. It's sort of eased off by that stage (unfortunatly) however I am not going crazy as it was reasonably noticable this evening.
It's been booked in for them to look at it more thorougly late next week, so we will see how that turns out.

It's interesting though, the mechanic that had a look said that he thinks ford switched back to the cable clutch system for the 08 model, but he went away to confirm with his workmate, but I never actually was told if it was a hydraulic or cable system.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. I'll keep you all kind people informed.