Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

Default Removing airbag

It seems that there is 2 5star torx bit screws that need to come out, iis there any other way of getting these out? I went to bunnings and they dont seem to have them.

Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The torx bits are hard to get - I got mine off ebay.

Some have had success using a slotted screwdriver.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

i might add that i went to bunnings without thinking and bought the 6 star set only to find out they were a 5 point star and thats all they had
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
Old 16-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikford
i might add that i went to bunnings without thinking and bought the 6 star set only to find out they were a 5 point star and thats all they had
haha! I did the same thing, lol.

Six sided came in handy on my wife's previous eurocar so nothing lost ;)
Old 16-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

haha, damn car, as i keep doing one thing i have to do something else on it.thats life i spose :P
My Ride
My Build Thread
Old 16-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikford
haha, damn car, as i keep doing one thing i have to do something else on it.thats life i spose :P
yeah, but it's fun though

Here's a GK's tute showing the slotted screwdriver (or at least a bit that shows what it looks like)
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...1&postcount=59
Old 16-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

ill give it a go right now
My Ride
My Build Thread
Old 16-05-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

gave it a try and managed to stuff 2 bits so i think ill have to hunt around for the tool unless someone has the right tool and would maybe come around to give me a hand so i can borrow it?just pm me.
My Ride
My Build Thread
Old 16-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #9
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

i bought a set from bunnings to ha ha, so i went to ford a mechanic there undid them for nothing. when you get them out put hex bolts in instead much easier next time and steering wheel can be removed with allen key 7 or 8mm i think instead of torx bit. good luck. preston
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 02:02 AM   #10
au^dude
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What i did was cut an old screw driver. worked ok. I also have a steering wheel puller that you could borrow.
au^dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know glenfords and bursons have them, pretty pricey though.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i clotted a screwdriver bit, one of those ones that goes in either a ratchet or t handle driver, didn't even really need to slot it, but i found with either a ratchet or t handle you can put more force into it and it comes out easier...

might be worth a try
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #13
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

A slotted screwdriver works, but it may take a few attempts of breaking it to get it to work.
I brought a cheap screwdriver from the reject shop, and modified that. Does take a few goes though.

After I finished with mine I gave it to someone, and it broke first shot for them. So preserver and you'll get there

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or if you have a dremel you can carefully grind a slot in the screws then take them out with a screw driver, then replace them with allen key type bolts
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 02:55 AM   #15
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

hrmmm, i will see if i can hunt one down when i go to the tool shop for some other bit this week, i wish i had one of them dremel's, they're good for lots of tasks.lol
My Ride
My Build Thread