Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
straughsberry

Default Protect yourself when buying big-dollar parts and/or work. Some tips...

Hi All,

Due to my own recent experiences and the experiences of multiple others I have talked to or heard about, I thought I'd post a couple of simple tips about how to protect yourself when buying expensive parts or getting big-dollar work done.

For those of you who don't know, I am still owed $8000 dollars by a shop who promised a refund but only paid back $2000 dollars of a $10,000 dollar deposit. It has been weeks and many promises have been made but all of them broken. Stall tactics, excuses and outright lies are all I've heard.

During my last phone conversation with the shop owner over 3 weeks ago, I asked where my $10,000 dollars went because he obviously didn't have it. His reply was "something came up and I had to spend it". What the? You spent my 10k on something that "came up"? Con artist, rip off merchant, swindler, liar, cheat, hypocrite, ****-wipe, and down right -muncher are some words I would use to describe that kind of behaviour. So, to avoid this possible situation for yourselves, consider the following.

Never hand over large deposits on a promise of parts being ordered or work being done. A shop should have at minimum 30 day terms with any supplier. This is there so that they can order and receive parts on account and pay for them after they have completed a job or after customers pay. Too, it is much easier for them to reconcile accounts all at once instead of paying for multiple items throughout the credit period. And if the customer doesn't pay, they can return parts quite easily. And if it work that is to be carried out, consider progress payments. Remember, a desperate person will do desperate things.

Consider progress payments
. If it's big-dollar work that is to be done, pay as the work is progressing. This is a perfectly legitimate and fair way of doing things and an honest operator should not have a problem with progress payments. You pay a reasonable deposit and an agreed to amount of work is completed. If it is not, you don't continue handing over money. If the work is done, then you hand over more money, and more work is done. And the cycle continues...

One shop I know of has had a car for 2 years and still can't reproduce the efforts of a previous shop. And to to think, they rubbished the previous builder. Yet 2 years on they've only managed to match the previous builders efforts. 2 years!? Ahahahahahaha looooser!

Always ask for an invoice.
Any parts and work being done should be accompanied by and invoice. If a shop tells you they only deal in cash, you have to ask yourself why that is? Credit terms are provided to a business for the above reasons and the most likely reason a business would not have credit terms is because they have been refused credit by the supplier. Bad credit history? Consider a credit and background check. This might just reveal certain details. Web sites provide some basic information for free such as Consumer Affairs or ASIC, or you can pay information brokers for more detailed information about an individual, business or company.

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/cav/br-se...ria?mode=bnextr
http://www.search.asic.gov.au/
http://www.search.asic.gov.au/gns001.html

My two cents. Feel free to add any thoughts. Have a nice day

Steph.

straughsberry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You learned the hard way, if a workshop or parts supplier cannot sustain doing work or supplying parts without the need for a deposit they should not get your business.

Your story is a painful one and I would think your advice is fairly common sense. I honestly doubt many people would hand over a $10K deposit for something.

Not that it really matters but what were you buying? It must have been worth at least $100K
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Thumbs up

I do know the anguish of being taken.... good post
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a painter I require a 10% deposit when I turn up at a job ready for work. I will not take that deposit the week or even the day before, only when I show to do the job. That way my customer feels safe I am there to do the work and I feel safe the customer will pay at the end of the job.

I have been done 1 too many times when they don't pay at the end. If they have trouble paying a deposit when I arrive there is a good chance they won't pay at jobs end.
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Good luck with that, I know how you feel. I'm going through a situation at the moment that is a real problem and in my case it's become very difficult to contact the other party involved. In fact, they yell at me and hang up the phone every time, will not listen to any reason. I am now involving VCAT and Consumer Affairs before legal action.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Trek
Blue blooded

Cash installments/progress payments is the way I'm paying mine off, seems to be no problems as of yet. I chose to pay by cash, as opposed to credit though.

It's damn sad that there's scum who still try to blatantly rip people off like yourself, straughsberry. This info should be stickied, to make others more aware of it.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Steff, as we have discussed, I hope you end up getting your money back, it's a shame it has happened this way, as the dodgy operators give us all a bad name.

The other side of the coin is, as a workshop owner, I have had people come in to order parts only to never show to pay for them, This means I'm left holding parts that hopefully I may be able to move to somebody else or copping a restocking fee from the original supplier, if they'll take them back.
I now ask for a deposit if ordering parts for customers.

I've also had customers not turn up for work that is booked in, no phone call or notice etc. When I plan my day, it is based around how many hours are booked in, I can not book in more than we can do. If somebody does not turn up, we are left short of work for the day, Are these people ripping me off?
Now when anybody books in for a major job, I get a small deposit to gaurantee they will turn up.

Most people I have dealt with do not have a problem with this system, it is normally the dodgy types that don't want to do it

At present I have a car sitting here, that is worth maybe $500, the owner agreed to all repairs and cost was explained before we went ahead with the work. It has a bill of $3500. The car has been finished for a month and the owner will not come down to give us any money, I have to pay my suppliers nearly $2500 of that money.

There are dodgy workshops, there are also dodgy customers, thank god it is only a small percentage.

Hope it gets sorted for you mate

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hear this has happened to you and I hope you get a speedy outcome.

But I have to also add that there is another side to this coin.
I am now taking deposits for bookings as to many people "commit"
to work being done and simply don't bother showing up to get the work done.
As a result I end up sitting here with no work for the day and still have to pay
my overheads just because someone doesn't have the decency to call and cancel
my services.

I am also in the process of starting up a performance parts supply business and
all parts ordered will require a deposit before I will even entertain the idea of ordering
parts in for my customers. The unfortunate reality of life is that people these days
don't have the morals they once did and I refuse to left carrying stock that I don't require.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about Consumer Affairs? Can't they help out?
Old 10-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate i know exactly how ya feel there :

All 20th Ann extras

: |||Mods To Date - Lowered all Round on Walkinshaw Springs. More to come . Tuned by ?????- Power - . ||| :

|Hers| 2009 LV XR5 Turbo in Silhouette
AzuR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Sorry to hear about your problems straughsberry,

Some good advice you have offered from your learnings with this bad situation, Personally i would never hand over such an amount without a written contract to protect myself from such a thing happening.

I would try consumer affairs to help get your money back
Old 10-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #12
straughsberry

Yeah Mick you're right. There are dodgy people on both sides. And I'm sure shops have more incidences of getting "ripped off" than individual consumers do.There's nothing wrong with a deposit. I wouldn't expect anything less. In fact I almost always ask if I need to leave a deposit.

Decent people should be warned away from people like that. We are talking about a pattern here. It's not a one off. I have spoken to others about their own experiences as well as heard anecdotal experiences of others.

His methods are very cunning and insidious. He gains the trust of those around him by doing so called "favours". This suits his purpose perfectly. He builds the reputation of being a "good guy" when all the while he is just surrounding himself with potential income.

I feel a responsibility to speak up and that's what I'm doing. I trusted the man and obviously that's why I handed over 10k of an 18k build. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This is tough. I usually recommend a receipt of payment for the deposit given and a written explanation of the work undertaken for that deposit prior to further payments given. That way everything is clear cut and everyone knows where they all stand.

As a business owner for large jobs, we ask for a 10% deposit for us to commence a project. Then progress payments there after.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #14
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Name and shame i say!!. its probably not in your best legal interest to do that but word of mouth WILL spread and his business WILL suffer because of it.
Wish you luck getting your money back.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

^^ If he is gonna take further action he should probably refrain from doing that.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Steff, unfortunately you are probably not the last to be taken for a ride by a business, hopefully your warning will make people aware of what can happen.

Trust with a repairer can not be bought through forums, advertising etc, it has to be earned.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #17
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I have to agree and I believe the consensus is 10% deposit and progress payments that is fair and reasonable for both sides.

Anyone whos asking more than 20% before they've even touched your car has to raise questions........unless obviously there is specalised or lots of parts they are ordering but most places are 10% then progress payments.

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #18
dusty86

I can see both sides of the fence, you have brought up some valid point's but being in the auto trade as well the views outlines by ratter, ring very true, and as ad as it sounds some customers we do judge on face value, we once had a truck sitting in our work shop for over 6 months, no issues with the guy paying it when he showed but turns out he went on holiday's for 6 months and didn't have anywhere to put it
dusty86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #19
straughsberry

Hehe. If you had done your bit and finished the work on time then you could have fairly and reasonably charged him storage fees I would imagine.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #20
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I have just done a deal with a business which required a 50% deposit for a task to be completed on 19 July.

These sort of deals are of concern, one has to pick and choose.......... Forgive yourself when it goes wrong, cause sometimes it does.

After forgiving yourself, GET EVEN!...every time!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #21
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I say name and shame the a hole.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 10:59 PM   #22
straughsberry

If the moderators will allow this, I will gladly name and shame the shop but I don't want to put the forum in negative legal position so PM me if you want to know who it is.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #23
cowboy
Cowboy

Hate to hear things like this. A mate at work has paid over 15k to an engine builder in the states for a big block stroker and now 6 months on is getting nothing but excuses. Good luck.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4