Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Transmision cooler test results not cool...

Ok so I have been running a transmision cooler in line with the ford radiator for quite some years nows but my radiator sprung a leak near the the transnision tank so I decided to run the transmission exclusively off the cooler.
Firstly my tranny cooler is around 60 cm by 40 cms..its big. Well what happened the next day is that I noticed transmission temps were hotter than going throught the radiator!! My transmission temperature gauge consistently showed the temos reach highs quicker than normal..Alas I installed a big fan on the cooler..The result was still that the temps were still much higher than through the radiator. i am thinking of getting a better cooler as this bm coller is not cutting the mustard..

btw the wagon hit 300000kays the other day so a few little additions will be coming along very soon

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

That is rather strange... but my just prove that the OEM style is the better one to begin with...
Old 06-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I wonder if a newer heatsink style cooler is better than the fin-style aftermarket coolers.

As Ford have now gone to the heatsink on the side of the engine block now .... and rid the current models (BF/SY onwards) of the internal radiator trans cooler ... more so due to radiator internal failures with factory equipment.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Is it possible the cooler or plumbing are blocked?

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Can you quantify the temps, Stav?

My rad is bypassed as well and I've been planning to install a trans oil temp guage. Your news might just make it a priority.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Did you get the temps while idling the car sitting still, or while moving?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
stoodoo
Falcon R.I.P. 1960 - 2016

Just last week I had to replace my radiator in my AUII Ghia and also installed a PWR pwo5389fd transmission cooler kit, bypassing the radiator altogether. The cooler is only 280mm X 255mm X 19mm. Now you've got me worried that I've gone and done the wrong thing. What temperature is the tranny fluid meant to run at, or what is the maximum recommended temperature for tranny fluid?
stoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
ronwest

I wouldn't be too concerned just yet, stoo.

Mine has done around 20K since I got new rad and trans oil cooler.

I've just completed a Nth Qld trip 5000k's in 8 days and trans hasn't missed a beat.

I'd changed the trans oil and filter (inc t/converter) just prior to the trip. The oil was 10 -12K old and there was no indication by smell or colour that it had been hot.

I guess that Stav can fill us in on a few more details and we can go from there.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

It could just be that particular cooler that he is using or there is something else wrong with it. I can't see how an externally mounted trans cooler, constantly exposed to fresh cooling air, is going to do a worse job than the radiator in-tank cooler with less cooling surface area and bathed in hot engine coolant as well??
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Guys basically while the transmission was running through the radiator tank and tranny cooler before. On the freeway my tranny temps on a cool morning stay 40 degrees celcius.Now they climb up to 60/70 degrees

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 07-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
ronwest

How have you got your temp sender set up Stav?

(just curious for when I do mine)
Old 07-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Did you get the temps while idling the car sitting still, or while moving?
Both.In the cold weather before it ran way cooler.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How did you have it all plumbed before? to radiator then aftermarket cooler? if so the temps will be showing slightly higher, if the other way around then it is strange.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
speedzter

You need to run Transmission oil at a minimum of around 60 Deg C,
and 80-90 Deg C is normal.

Interesting read here:
http://www.digi-panel.com/digidevicesweb/trannyoil.htm
speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #15
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

What people don't realise is that transmissions can be run TOO cool. I believe the early BA boxes die because of this. People kill a tranny, assume excessive heat, so fit a cooler. I'll tell you this, we used to get 400,000klms out of an AU box without a trans cooler, and that's even through a hot QLD summer! The temps you've got now Stav are probably much, much better.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
What people don't realise is that transmissions can be run TOO cool. I believe the early BA boxes die because of this. People kill a tranny, assume excessive heat, so fit a cooler. I'll tell you this, we used to get 400,000klms out of an AU box without a trans cooler, and that's even through a hot QLD summer! The temps you've got now Stav are probably much, much better.
It is a bit ironic though..I fitted a cooler and its running hotter lol. In saying that the car feels quicker. My theory is that less heat is dumped into the radiator and therefore less stress on the engine cooling system.