Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
TX3VIL

Default Headers touching swaybar

After having my difillipo 4 into 1's fitted to my AU Ghia i had a bit of a rattle on startup and during idle at lights etc.. I never noticed the rattle during driving but that's probably because the engine noise overpowers it slightly. Anyway, long story short, i had a full service done and whilst under the car have found that the exhaust header is actually resting ON my swaybar. The exhaust shop told me it was a tight fit, but that's rediculous. The engine seems to sit right and the mounts are ok. Has anyone else ever come across a similar problem, or can tell me how much clearance they do have with their headers on the front sway bar? Is there another swaybar that could be fitted to clear, ie if i change the front hubs over to s2 hubs or something?

TX3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 02:49 AM   #2
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

that doesn't sound good i'm getting some next week, mines an au1 as well i'm converting to au2 but not before getting headers. the au2 swaybar hangs down lower but maybe not in the right places, i sure hope it does. i would not have thought they would come with such a tight clearance. what do your think of them other than that i've had pacies but not the di filppos, do they hang down under the car along way cause mines really low. whats you thoughts in general except clearance issue. cheers
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
DW260

Wow that's weird. Are the headers for a different series/engine?

I just checked my ute and there is a good 6 inches of clearance. Mind you, different model and pipe configuration but the only thing it comes close to hitting is the steering column, and even then there is an inch or two.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
TX3VIL

For the mods i've gone with so far, they're a bit overkill, but i had long term goals in mind when i decided to put them on. They some awsome, look really good quality too, and so far seem like fairly good performance. I need a flash tune now to see if i can squeeze a bit of power out of the old girl. Other than that i cant really tell u, i have never had any other headers on an 8 before.

These headers came off an AU V8, that's all i know about them. I dont think i'd be able to find anything else out about them as i bought them off ebay. They may, and more than likely have come from a later series AU but i cant see that this would make much differance. Still the same engine, heads etc, only thing i can think is the swaybar is in a differant location on the series 2/3. Another strange things is that only one side is touching, and physically hangs down further than the other, but only by a cm or 2.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The pacemakers (4-2-1) I had on my AU2 V8 sedan hit a bolt for the sway bar chassis links (IIRC). That was fixed by the exhaust place - they heated the pipe and "adjusted" it slightly with a hammer. Stopped all the knocking noises, and didn't seem to affect performance too much.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
TX3VIL

Thanks for that JC, settled my mind about them a little. At least i know now it's probably slightly more common than i realised.