Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default AU dash + ABS

Righto, we picked up a dona car a few weeks back to rob some panels and a few other bit and pieces for the folks car.

The folks have a 2000 AU1 povo pack wagon.
The dona car is a 2000 AU1 fairmont wagon.

We've already swapped the cruise control which was pretty straight forward. Just needed the steering wheel buttons and stalk. The module in the engine bay, and the small loom. Piece of cake.

So now we've been glancing at this fancy fairmont dash with all the sexy bits and have been wondering the obvious..... How difficult is to fit that mother into the folks car and not have it all go pear shaped part way through?

While I'm on the subject, has anyone upgraded to ABS and if so what was it's complexity?

If anyone has done either of these jobs can you give detail on the headaches involved, and or some links to it being done would be just super.

Last edited by Sox; 11-08-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Dude, you have too much time on your hands

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
Dude, you have too much time on your hands
:
Ummm, why?
Because I'm asking about modifications to a car on a car modification site? :
Old 12-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Nah, sorry. It just sounded like a lot more hassle than it's worth to me, and I couldn't help being cheeky. Sorry to completely unhelpful. Best of luck with it.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
Nah, sorry. It just sounded like a lot more hassle than it's worth to me, and I couldn't help being cheeky. Sorry to completely unhelpful. Best of luck with it.
That's cool. :sm_headba
You're right though, I suspect it will be a time consuming cow of a job, but we have the car now and may as well start somewhere.

I'm hoping Stav might chime in here sometime..... Stav... STAV.....
Old 12-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the fairmont has the climate control panel with the clock and trip computers all in the same panel, these will need to be wired. Ive only ever looked at the el climate control conversion but should be pretty much the same which was a fair whack of work (thermometres, heater box, sun reader thingo). Trip computer would be easy, not sure on the airbag situation, I would also guess that you would need the BBM or whatever its called from the mont to power all this stuff. If the speedo is going with the dash you will also need to add a oil pressure sender and POSSIBLY the door open sensors. This is all the definate info I can find: http://www.fordmods.com/documents.php?d=4
But definately doable and if youve got the dash there anyway might as well give it a shot.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Sox
RIP...

That's good info 'DAVO_XR', thanks.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I can't give specifics, but basically if they both have the same security setup (ie both are smartshield, or both are smartlock), just start swapping!

Fully body loom and electric windows isn't hard, just time consuming.

Dash, climate, etc should all be a straight swap if you use every part, loom, heaterbox etc from the donor car.

I reckon you could knock it all off with a mate over a weekend.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Sox
RIP...

I have the dona car partially apart, looks simple enough, but as you say time consuming.

Do you have any idea if the BCM needs to be swapped, or even the ECU?

I swapped over a ECU a while back on a series 2 AU and it had to get sorted at Ford to make it start.

I'm not interested in fartin around with this one at Ford.
Old 13-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Donor
Old 13-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Donor
:
I knew it didn't look right............
Old 13-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I'm pretty sure you'll have to do the BCM at least. ECU, not too sure.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #13
Sox
RIP...

And if the BCM is changed, does it need to go back to a dealer for sorting?
Old 13-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
That's cool. :sm_headba
You're right though, I suspect it will be a time consuming cow of a job, but we have the car now and may as well start somewhere.

I'm hoping Stav might chime in here sometime..... Stav... STAV.....
Hi mate .Its a huge job. I have removed my whole dash and replaced the heater core.Alone it took me around 10 hours non stop. Physically it is doable however I believe the bcm is different and may need some programing. I got stuck into chiefs car about 2 years ago and found the climate control from memory needed extra electronic solenoids to work the heater box and air con box. I ended up fitting his back in until the logisitcs were sorted. The rods from the stock system are not found in the faimont typre dash from memory.
What else do you want to know?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #15
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey stav, Im doing a swap to T2 dash in mine soon, so will change heater box etc etc, now will i have to disconnect the AC lines when swapping the heater boxes?

Sorry to intrude on your thread mate.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #16
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Hi mate .Its a huge job. I have removed my whole dash and replaced the heater core.Alone it took me around 10 hours non stop. Physically it is doable however I believe the bcm is different and may need some programing.
Well I have the entire donor car, so I'd just swap the BCM. But as I said above, it would likely need programming to suit it's new home (keys, etc?).
Quote:
I got stuck into chiefs car about 2 years ago and found the climate control from memory needed extra electronic solenoids to work the heater box and air con box.
I have all that from the donor car. I will have the 2 cars side by side when (if) I do the job.
Quote:
I ended up fitting his back in until the logisitcs were sorted. The rods from the stock system are not found in the faimont typre dash from memory.
What else do you want to know?
Ummm, when you're coming over to help?

Nothing else for the moment.
Old 13-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #17
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

For a small fee lol. If you need help let me know.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 13-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #18
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
Hey stav, Im doing a swap to T2 dash in mine soon, so will change heater box etc etc, now will i have to disconnect the AC lines when swapping the heater boxes?

Sorry to intrude on your thread mate.
The air con and heater hoses must be removed to remove the heater box in th engine bay at the firewall. Otherwise you cant remove the heater box.

Old 13-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #19
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

sorry for the silly q's, but why not just do up the fairmont?
Old 14-08-2009, 06:09 AM   #20
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
sorry for the silly q's, but why not just do up the fairmont?
It was smashed pretty badly on the passenger side, and it has 305,000k's.

Long story short - My folks car has a damaged right rear door, and rear bumper, and only has 130,000k's.
A search in the wrecking yards found not much and what we did find was crazy money.

This damaged car came up for not a lot of money and is a runner.
We've so far robbed the door, bumper, cruise control, heavy duty tow bar, harmonic balancer, and many other small parts.
It obviously has all the other spares which may be useful, such as lights, AC, radiator (new), tranny, etc.
It appears to be a very well maintained car.

Once we've taken what we want, we might Ebay the rest or if there's bugger all left, we'll let it go for scrap metal.

The dash conversion is just something which seems logical to do if it's easy enough. It looks rather sexy and is in good condition and working order.

I'd also like to do the ABS.
Old 14-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #21
Mr Hardware

oh ok, makes sense.