Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #31
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its alright. not just about me, i did it for every one interested

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #32
The Monty
Just slidin'

I use Chiptorque, $200 an hour for tuning. They usually keep it over night.
Then you will need to buy a chip, or flash tuner, about another $500.
Old 26-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #33
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Sorry to hijack here, but someone hinted earlier (I think) that you could use a raptor blower kit without ECU mods/tuning/chipping? Is that the case for AU or E-series.

I'm interested in eventually supercharging my EL.
The AU's are supplied with the CAPA flash, Im not sure what the E series are supplied with.

Edit: E series are supplied with a Chiptorque chip.
Old 26-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #34
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks, how much just to put the car on the dyno to see how much she is making

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 27-08-2009, 04:37 AM   #35
The Monty
Just slidin'

If you ring around youll get on for $30-50.
Old 27-08-2009, 04:54 AM   #36
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cool as, my mate wants to put his car on dyno, so will i

Old 28-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #37
RUKIDN
Missing the boost :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
engine rebuild will cost me 1500 dollars, stock rebuild, little bit more if i want good internals and head work done
Just a suggestion, as i know many have done in the past im sure it would work out cheaper to just buy a reco au motor and work with that rather than to rebuild your current for $1.5k stock.
This is of course if your only planning to leave the block standard rather than building it to suit boost.

As for turbo or supercharger as most say is personally choice!
You can get either at reasonable costs which would give a nice little power upgrade without being to over the top unless you aim for it.
Make sure it is running 100% and dont thrash it and dont see why you would have much issues!

Good Luck mate,
chris
RUKIDN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #38
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh well my rebuild will be happening very soon, lovely conrod noise, so a nother engine will go in soon

Old 29-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #39
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok bad news times, i can hear mr conrod in the bottome of my sump, so my engine rebuild will be happening before or after xmas

Old 29-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #40
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seeing you are doing the bottom end, id do good pistons, forged, maybe change rods to i or h beam, if not get your rods worked over and fit arp rod bolts. A turbo cam would be similar to a charger cam. Get a very good head gasket. Head work is all about the efficency of the flow, not how big the ports are or valves etc upgraded springs.
AZZA
azza11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #41
justa6
justa6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
just wanted opinions and good advice, not just from one person

but to my preference i will go super charger, main reason is that your no putting the exhuast gasses back through the engine no matter how cold it is,
I didn't know turbo's put "exhaust gasses back through the engine" maybe that's what's wrong with mine. i'm surprised you didn't pick up on this blueoval with all your knowledge. ha ha
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #42
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both turbo's and superchargers are good options, if you go turbo your limits are only determined by how deep your pockets are, supercharger kits are a good option for pure ease of installation, the raptor kit took me less then 4 hours dragging my feet between beers to install on my own, 4 hours to almost double the power my car was making. The downside is the unit has its limits, with an intercooler, smaller pulley and some engine work you might be able to get close to 300rwkw's but this would be spinning the blower at it's limit.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #43
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxr
I didn't know turbo's put "exhaust gasses back through the engine" maybe that's what's wrong with mine. i'm surprised you didn't pick up on this blueoval with all your knowledge. ha ha

Engine built + part and machining=5000$+

Fuel system=800-1000$

Supercharger kit(varys)4-5000$

Diff=500$(used)

Trans/gearbox=1500-3000$

Tuning=500-1000$

Exhaust=1-2000$

And all the extra things that pop up along the way$$$$$$$$.

I do hope you get the conversion done but i think your a bit off touch with the $ its going to cost to do the procedure properly.Hope this helps and doesnt put you off.Obviouslly all this does not need to be done but thats where i go back to my statement "properly".cheers

gilmore
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #44
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmore
Engine built + part and machining=5000$+

Fuel system=800-1000$

Supercharger kit(varys)4-5000$

Diff=500$(used)

Trans/gearbox=1500-3000$

Tuning=500-1000$

Exhaust=1-2000$

And all the extra things that pop up along the way$$$$$$$$.

I do hope you get the conversion done but i think your a bit off touch with the $ its going to cost to do the procedure properly.Hope this helps and doesnt put you off.Obviouslly all this does not need to be done but thats where i go back to my statement "properly".cheers

gilmore
So many people seem to think all this money needs to be spent to do it "properly", but this isn't the case with either turbo or superchargers. With either option the stock internals will hold together fine with up to 9psi if tuned well.
Old 30-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #45
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

After being in a few turbo cars I have to say the immediate power that the supercharger provides is great compared to waiting around till the boost comes on

Just my personal preference but its also one hell of a lot cheaper than a turbo.

gilmore is on the money too, if you throw a hair dryer on that's nowhere near the end of it, at least its not if your going over that magic 9psi figure. My mechanic was telling me a bloke with a brand spankers VE commodore walked into a performance shop down the road asking for a big turbo for it, got the shock of his life when he was quoted $45000!

The shop said either they did the car as a package i.e. transmission upgrade, better internals for the donk, roll cage, fuel system etc etc etc or forget it as 6 months later (or less) he'd be back asking why his car has dropped dead and why he couldn't close his door properly

but hey, at the end of the day, its all about the dollars =D
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #46
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
So many people seem to think all this money needs to be spent to do it "properly", but this isn't the case with either turbo or superchargers. With either option the stock internals will hold together fine with up to 9psi if tuned well.
Sorry,i wasnt alluding that people who dont rebuild the n/a engine to handle boost isnt done properly.Was more of an indication that his 1500$ rebuild is not really on the money for a engine to be built to a standard all the way through(top 2 bottom)to handle boost for the rest of its life.I mean for 1500$ you get the machine work done maybe?
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #47
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmore
Sorry,i wasnt alluding that people who dont rebuild the n/a engine to handle boost isnt done properly.Was more of an indication that his 1500$ rebuild is not really on the money for a engine to be built to a standard all the way through(top 2 bottom)to handle boost for the rest of its life.I mean for 1500$ you get the machine work done maybe?
Agreed, if he doesn't plan on going all out, just low boost, 200-250rwkw's, he'd be better off buying a low km engine from the wreckers for around $500 and spending the other $1000 getting the head ported.
Old 30-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #48
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just do what some of the other guys have done. Leave your bottom end alone, do the head, metal gasket and buy a BA xr6 turbo and go from there. If the bottom end shits its self then upgrade it. You can safely go 330rwkw with a standard bottom end. Thats quick.
AZZA
azza11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #49
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im moving to melbourne in next 2 or 3 weeks, so i will be doing the work down there with my mate, ill end up putting a cam in i think for now