Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Default Brake Pedal freeplay?

Has anyone had experience with adjusting the amount of freeplay in an AU on the brake pedal.

It seems that at the moment that it takes a good 2-3 cm of pedal pressing before the car will slow down

This also messes up the brake light switch, with the brake lights not coming on until quite a reasonable amount of braking is used, stopping on declines etc.

Could this be a sign that the pads need replacing?

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

How do you know if the brake lights are coming on or not? The brake light switch is at the top of the pedal up under the dash and should activate the moment you touch the brake, same for the cruise control, as soon as you touch the pedal the cruise should disengage. If niether of those things is happening then the switch position needs adjusting. As for a low pedal, it shouldn't have anything to do with your pads. As your pads wear, the amount they move forward in the caliper as they wear is taken up by the brake fluid behind the piston so your pedal height should remain constant. If your brake fluid is low in the master cylinder then your pads could be worn down but your pedal height shouldn't change. If you want more pedal height it can be adjusted it via the actuator rod that goes from the top of the pedal to the brake booster, again from up under the dash. If both of the problems you describe are occuring I'd start by checking the pivot point for the pedal for any abnormal wear. If it's worn there it might be getting sloppy and loose which theoretically could affect the brake light switch and pedal height relative to actuation.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
speedzter

How long since you serviced your brakes (ie flushed with new fluid) ?
speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
How do you know if the brake lights are coming on or not?
Bushbasher
I have noted, whilst backed against a wall at night, the brake lights will not come on as soon as i touch the pedal. Needs some decent force to activate them.

AFAIK the brake light switch cannot be adjusted, perhaps it needs replacing - with a genuine ford part perhaps this time.

But all things considered the brake light switch is not affecting the amount of freeplay i'm getting. The fluid level is good.

Quote:
it can be adjusted it via the actuator rod that goes from the top of the pedal to the brake booster, again from up under the dash
Does this require the dash to be pulled apart? I had a look last night and could not see anything adjustable.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I'd still be looking at the brake pedals' pivot point for wear, either that or where the pedal stop is that stops the pedal from rising up cos it sounds like, for whatever reason, your pedal is way too high at rest. As far as adjusting it goes, you don't need to pull the dash out. Just follow the pedal arm up under the dash and below the actual pivot point there'll be a shoe that fits over and is fixed to the pedal arm via a pin with a spring clip holding the pin in. On the end of the shoe there's a rod that is the actuator for the brake booster so when you press the pedal it pushes on the rod which in turn pushes into the brake booster. That rod is threaded with an adjusting nut so you can change it's length, at least that's how it was on my NF when I changed the booster and I'd say the AU is no different. Get a torch and have a good look up under the dash at the pedal box and I'm sure you'll work it out.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post