Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Cadge

Default AU Killswitch

Hey guys,

Looking for anyone with a bit of wiring knowledge of the AU.
Im racing one in an off road series, and I need to install a kill switch that kills the engine, stops the fuel pumps and Isolates the battery all in one hit.

Any suggestions on where i might start? Isolating the Battery seems easy enough, its killing the engine thats the problem

CHeers.

Old 30-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
robboxr8

i think its only a diesel that will run on with the battery disconnected i reckon just killing the battery will kill the fuel pump at the same time

the only pain is the ecu will drop out each time and will need resetting every time you use the kill switch
Old 30-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
T3man
Banned

You only need the one emergency kill switch - on the battery. Hopefully you never have to use it, and the ECU reset will not be an issue.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by robboxr8
i think its only a diesel that will run on with the battery disconnected i reckon just killing the battery will kill the fuel pump at the same time

the only pain is the ecu will drop out each time and will need resetting every time you use the kill switch
Petrol cars can do it too. We change batteries on cars sometimes by just leaving the engine running. Saves reentering radio codes etc.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

WOW! Where do you work? In fairness to all members on the forum you should tell us. I sincerely hope it isn't anywhere I'd ever be taking my car for service work. I wonder how many ECUs have been spiked when you've worked your magic? Had any owners come back a short time afterwards with a dead car? Oh, wait ... they couldn't ... 'cos their car was DEAD.

Believe me, if the ECU didn't die immediately it surely was fatally injured and it's use-by date brought forward lots - it's only a matter of time before you kill one dead!
Old 30-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
WOW! Where do you work? In fairness to all members on the forum you should tell us. I sincerely hope it isn't anywhere I'd ever be taking my car for service work. I wonder how many ECUs have been spiked when you've worked your magic? Had any owners come back a short time afterwards with a dead car? Oh, wait ... they couldn't ... 'cos their car was DEAD.

Believe me, if the ECU didn't die immediately it surely was fatally injured and it's use-by date brought forward lots - it's only a matter of time before you kill one dead!
I dont do it very often. This practice was actually suggested by one of the head trainers at a factory training course. Considiring he was one of the engineers of the manufacturer he didnt have a problem with it. Really when you think about it nothing would happen as the car is running off the alternator.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
T3man
Banned

Exactly - and the output from the alternator can cause high voltage spikes of up to 400volts if it is not connected to a battery. The act of "unloading" the battery from the alternator can cause this - and then upon reconnecting it takes the alternator a split second to adjust to the load - it is the extreme voltage spike that can occur during this procedure that can and WILL lead to premature death of the ECU and other solid stae devices in the vehicle.
Old 31-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

So does that mean if the battery-isolating kill switch is ever used, it could kill the ECU?

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

What we'd always do with the cabs when changing batteries we'd connect a jump pack to the cables and change the battery so it always had a live 12v feed.
Old 31-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
T3man
Banned

Mr Hardware> Yes, that is the correct and safest method.

lofty> No, disconnecting the battery via a circuit (kill switch) is no different to turning off the ignition (which immediately isolates the alternator) - much different thing to disconnecting a terminal from the battery while the alternator is still operating.
Old 31-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
Cadge

Sorry, i should have copied the Regs in:

7.8. At least one battery isolation switch is to be fitted. It must perform the following
duties when switched off.
a) Disconnect the battery.
b) Stop the engine and any fuel pumps that may be fitted.
7.9. The isolation switch(s) shall also include the ignition wire, so as to stop the
engine.

So if my kill switch is connected to the ignition wire and the battery it should do both right. But From what ive read, every time i turn the switch, ill have to reset the ECU, but there is also a possibility that the ECU could be fried?
Old 31-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
T3man
Banned

You aren't listening.

You need just one switch which will do all the above. All you need to do is wire your ignition power supply via a (normally-open) relay so under normal "battery on" circumstances you will have ignition. If the battery is isolated via the kill switch then power to your ignition relay is cut and therefore your ignition and all accessories (like fuel pump) which operate through the ignition are also cut.

YES, you will have to reset the ECU if the emergency kill switch is activated. However that should very rarely, if ever, happen. It would only be activated (the kill switch) by a marshall if your car was disabled and caught on fire. In which case the fried ECU is very likely going to be a fried ECU anyhow. In any event, again, you haven't been listening ... turning off the ECU via a battery isolation switch is NO DIFFERENT to switching it off by the ignition switch/key.

Last edited by T3man; 31-08-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 31-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
Cadge

Nah, we have to show them the kill switch works before competing inevery event.

Thanks for the help champ
Old 31-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #14
T3man
Banned

That's OK - it will work every time, and as long as it's switched on again pretty quickly after the "test" you may not even have an ECU "reset" problem. However, if you find the ECU is mucking up you might be able to wire in a capacitor to the ECU power supply line so it will have some residual voltage available to it for a long enough period to allow you to do the kill test. You really only need to keep voltage to the ECU for 10-15 secs and it won't require a very large capacitor to do the job. An auto elec should be able to help you with this if no wizard comes forth here with a solution for you.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
Cadge

Yeah i think i could rig up the Ignition wire, now i know what im looking for, but i might just get and auto elec to do it for that reason... and piece of mind