Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
HLC
Audi S3

Default Car Dumping Oil on hot days?

Gday guys,

got a weird thing happening.

on these hotter days when ive gone for extended drives, once i park and go do whatever i do, i come back and my car has dumped considerable amounts of oil on the ground?

temp guage always reads in the N-O or normal so its not playing up. the oil guage is still in its usual spot in the cluster (dont even know what it measures?)

so i dunno? any ideas?
cheers.
henri

Old 27-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
mr302xd
Formerly MR BAXR6t

Have u had a quick look under to see roughly where its from?

Fords ive owned-
2010 FG XR6 5 speed auto in Mystic
81 XD S-Pac 302c 4sp manual
78 Yellow TE Cortina Wagon 4.1L
92 Green EB Fairmont GT replica
01 Black AU XR8 II Manual
04 Rapid BAII XR6T 220rwkw
04 Mandarin BA XR6T 247rwkw
07 BF II XR6T 385rwkw
1980 ZJ Fairlane 302c
mr302xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

^^ agreed!- dont sound normal to me henri, i have never encountered this. I know my sump plug must drip a little when its hot cause i have splash back behind it on the sub frame- but not a drop on my driveway.
Old 27-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Are you talking about engine oil?

This type of problem is common with transmission leaks.
Old 27-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

i am talking engine oil, dont know what henri's leak is- tranny fluid is generally red?
Old 28-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Trans fluid can be dark as well ... if it hasn't been serviced in a long time.

When i first picked up my AUII years back .... my first trans service saw the fluid come out like black water literally.

On a hot day and really pushing an auto ... it can blow some fluid out through the top breather in the auto ... leaking down the side of it and onto the driveway.

I'd need to look under the vehicle to see i it though.

Another place for engine oil is the cam chain tensioner ... on the driver's side of the engine ... a leak is hidden from there ... behind the power ster reservoir bracket ... and the exhaust manifold heat shield can hide it as well.

It won;t leak when cold ... just after hot running and oil pressure is up.

It looks like a leak from the front driver's side corner of the sump initially ... but it comes from higher up. Oil consumption is minimal if it all as it is not a constant leak.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

the engine sump is covered in grease and crap, so could be coming from there.

i have noticed the occasional drip from the sump on the transmission as well.

BUT, my tranny was serviced about 30 000 kays ago. the oil is coming from the front of the car, which leads me to believe it is engine oil.

im getting a service in the next couple of weeks and ill get the transmission done again too.

ill have a look under my car before i go out in a minute. its weird as. ill let yas know.
Old 28-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

ok, the oil sump on the motor is looking suprisingly clean. all the rain must have cleaned it.

but there is a stack of oil/grease on the 'box, on all the stuff up behind the fluid pan towards the back of the car.

so dunno why my car looks like its ****ing oil from the front, or i just didnt realise how far forward the transmission is?

you guys reckon a service will fix it?
Old 28-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
ok, the oil sump on the motor is looking suprisingly clean. all the rain must have cleaned it.

but there is a stack of oil/grease on the 'box, on all the stuff up behind the fluid pan towards the back of the car.

so dunno why my car looks like its ****ing oil from the front, or i just didnt realise how far forward the transmission is?

you guys reckon a service will fix it?
Its probably just leaking from the transmission sump gasket.

When a car is stopped, some of the fluid leaves the converter and back into the pan. As the oil rises it can squeeze out.
Old 28-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

give it a degrease underneath, have a check the following day should reveal the offending leakage.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Well ... it could be a number of places on the transmission though ... i had a leak from the passenger side (overdrive cover gasket????) .... the main place though especially from hot driving is gtom the breather on top of the box ... and it then usualy leaks all over the top/back section of the transmission ... and down the extrension housing ... and then spray everything along the undercarriage.

At least the underside of the car won't rust :hihi:

I'll try and dig up an excellent post from one of the Territory guys on 4-speed BTRs ... with pics of common leak areas.
Old 28-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Read this ENTIRE thread ... you will have a better understanding of the old 4-speed cluncker.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=21444

Say thank you to Jonhydep from the Territory section ... and other associated members in there for the tech details and pics.
Old 28-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

Thanks Simon! awesome!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
slackbladder
Starter Motor

G'day guys,

Have a similar problem (AU2, 2001), costing me an arm and a leg, because I've entrusted a local mechanic.

Engine oil leak from front of engine, soaking serpentine/fan belt. This leads to oil all over the front of the engine, and requires degreasing & pressure washing of the engine to find the source of the leak.

Mechanic has removed head twice, the first time having the head machined, changed all gaskets, and modified head gasket on head-off number 2 as per a friend of his who works for Ford in Sydney.

Lots of silicone to be sure.

Timing cover assembly off multiple times

Apparently there is a bolt in the timing cover assembly that extends into an oil gallery.

Mechanic takes it for a drive, and tells me he can't see any leak.

I drive it home, at speeds of between 50 and 100kph, 15-20 minutes, pop the bonnet, and watch a drop of golden oil form on the base of a bolt in the timing cover assembly. The front of the motor is very clean because of multiple degreasings/ pressure washings, so I just wipe that drop off and watch another form (even with engine off). Looks like the drops are originating from between the timing cover assembly/case, and the engine block, where a washer is located.

Is this making any sense?

I'm just a little cheesed off with the mechanic, because before he took the head off the second time, I showed him that the oil leak seemed to be from this point. The underside of a lip (horizontal) along the front of the engine block isn't accumulating oil, so I could confidently tell him that the oil wasn't coursing along this lip to said bolt; nor was it being deposited on the bolt by being flung up from below - otherwise it would be on the underside of this lip.

HELP! Is there anyone who knows of a common oil leak from this bolt? If need be, I'll post pics of the offending bolt (but not the mechanic).

Thanks in advance.

Derek.
slackbladder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
slackbladder
Starter Motor

Problem resolved, FYI. It was a bolt that runs thru the timing case cover into the block (terminating for some unknown reason in an oil gallery). Only after mechanic replaced this bolt with one with a larger (OD) shank (and lots of goop) did the oil leak get fixed.
slackbladder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackbladder
Problem resolved, FYI. It was a bolt that runs thru the timing case cover into the block (terminating for some unknown reason in an oil gallery). Only after mechanic replaced this bolt with one with a larger (OD) shank (and lots of goop) did the oil leak get fixed.
Hopefully comming to the end of a simmilar odessey with my AU1 VCT (farmed it out because I just didn't have time to sort it myself) - following up on a dim, dark and vauge memory of doing this for a number of AUs under warranty back in the late 90s I 'talked' my mechanic into resealing the bolts on the timing cover last friday, just have to take it for a decent drive to check if it's fixed....

Cheers
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
AUs under warranty back in the late 90s
Wow, something just hit me about how old the AU is.