Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default FAQ (freaquently asked questions)

Okay im not having a whinge, but i am really getting sick of seeing the same threads over and over again. What exhaust for the au what exhaust for the au bla bla bla. So here i am making this thread.

The thread is going to work exactly like when a cruise is organised. U simply copy the post above u, paste it then add your bit etc. So im going to start. Feel free to add more. I don't want people saying that is a good way but there is a better way. Simply just add to there post under the same question.

Q: What should i do about a cold air induction for my AU I6?

A: Most cheapest mod u can do is buy a tickford snorkel or a Ba xr6 turbo snorkel. Both are the same size, One has the tickford wings and one doesn't. Xr6t snorkels are available from your local ford dealer for around $40. Also Look at getting a K&N panel filter roughly $120+

51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

A: Most cheapest mod u can do is buy a tickford snorkel or a Ba xr6 turbo snorkel. Both are the same size, One has the tickford wings and one doesn't. Xr6t snorkels are available from your local ford dealer for around $40. Also Look at getting a K&N panel filter roughly $120+

Q:What size exhaust for the AU?

A:A 2.5 inch exhaust will be sufficient for an N/A 6. If you have a big cam and headwork, or thinking of going down the forced route, 3 inch is for you.

Q:What Extractors are available for the AU?

A: Plenty, look around, The most popular are the Pacemaker comp 4480's, or the Pacemaker 4499's. Both are good, again if looking for more top end power, go the 4480's. Beware of craking in the cones though, heard of a few failures recently.

Q: What Diff gears are available for the AU?

A: AU's came out with either 3.08, 3.23, or 3.45 diff gears. You can opt to have 3.73, 3.89 or 4.11 depending on your application. If you go with 4.11's something in the diff needs to be modified for them to fit.

Q: What sized stall converter is suitable for me?

A: Depends on your combo. Generally around 3000rpm is acceptable to most people, then you get crazy people like the Monty that always want things bigger, lol.

Q: What cam for my car?

A: Again, depends on what you want. Surecam make some great cams, and some of the fastest NA 6's run them. The Monty, Stav, Stiddy, 510AU, OED666, SPRJenkins, Stattic, etc all run these cams, with awesome results. Anywhere from .499 to .565 lift is used for a street combo, with duration from 210@.050 to 218@.050. Others also make cams, but not as popular as Surecam. There is no available cams for VCT AU's. Also note, the fastest AU ran stock HP head and cam, and ran a 14.2.

Q: What about Headwork?

A: AU's generally need only cleaning up of the ports, and not a full port and polish like other cars. Just some smoothing up is generally all thats required, anymore and you will most likely end up going backwards.

Q: What else do I need for a cam?

A: Generally, an adjustable vernier gear, Valve springs and Valve spring retainers.
All are available through JMM, Crow Cams and Surecam.

Q: How can I tune my car?

A: With either a "Chip" or a flash tuner, your choice.
Flash tuner generally net better resualts, but dont offer live tuning, the piggyback chips are generally quicker to tune but withough the parameters.

Q: Do I need a transmission cooler?

A: If you like your auto, yes. They cost around $120 and are easy to do by yourself. Well worth it.

Q: What do I do for two wheel spinning action?

A: You can either go a tight LSD, a LOKKA or a Locker (mini spool). First is the best way to go for everyday driving, but needs rebuilding every so often. 2nd is still new to AU people and can have an annoying ratcheting sound. It also wont break. A minispool is illegal on the street and dangerous, but works great for drifting.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Q: Plugs and leads?

A: Generally, plugs are a **** factor. The cheapest ones will do the same job as the $120 a set jobbies at a 6th of the price.
Plug leads, generally the same, can range all the way up to 9mm, a good place to go is QLD ignition leads, $85 for any colour 9mm spiral wound core, and the deliver.

Q: What about forced induction?

A: There are a few options. Basic turbo kits from Snort performance start at around $2999, but are complicated to do and still require a few parts and tuning, tapping into the sump etc. Expect from 160-350rwkw
They are also working on a Whipple supercharger full tuner kit from $6999.
CAPA does Vortech and Powerdyne kits also, starting around the $5000 mark. Expect around 180-220kw.
Raptor also do a centrifugal supercharger kit and are getting great results of up to 200rwkw on virtually stock AU's. These are complete bolt on in 5 hour kits including a generic tune to help you along till you get it tuned fully. Expect to pay around $5500.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

Is that what you were after Trav? Its all I could think of at the moment, lol.
Old 24-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

This stuff is really good, but don't we already have a 'useful AU facts' thread? - the sticky up the top???
Old 24-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Can we get something like this on strokers for the V8?
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A:A 2.5 inch exhaust will be sufficient for an N/A 6. If you have a big cam and headwork, or thinking of going down the forced route, 3 inch is for you.

A: Plenty, look around, The most popular are the Pacemaker comp 4480's, or the Pacemaker 4499's. Both are good, again if looking for more top end power, go the 4480's. Beware of craking in the cones though, heard of a few failures recently.

A: AU's came out with either 3.08, 3.23, or 3.45 diff gears. You can opt to have 3.73, 3.89 or 4.11 depending on your application. If you go with 4.11's something in the diff needs to be modified for them to fit.

A: Depends on your combo. Generally around 3000rpm is acceptable to most people, then you get crazy people like the Monty that always want things bigger, lol.

A: Again, depends on what you want. Surecam make some great cams, and some of the fastest NA 6's run them. The Monty, Stav, Stiddy, 510AU, OED666, SPRJenkins, Stattic, etc all run these cams, with awesome results. Anywhere from .499 to .565 lift is used for a street combo, with duration from 210@.050 to 218@.050. Others also make cams, but not as popular as Surecam. There is no available cams for VCT AU's. Also note, the fastest AU ran stock HP head and cam, and ran a 14.2.

A: AU's generally need only cleaning up of the ports, and not a full port and polish like other cars. Just some smoothing up is generally all thats required, anymore and you will most likely end up going backwards.

A: Generally, an adjustable vernier gear, Valve springs and Valve spring retainers.

Flash tuner generally net better resualts, but dont offer live tuning, the piggyback chips are generally quicker to tune but withough the parameters.

A: If you like your auto, yes. They cost around $120 and are easy to do by yourself. Well worth it.

A: You can either go a tight LSD, a LOKKA or a Locker (mini spool). First is the best way to go for everyday driving, but needs rebuilding every so often. 2nd is still new to AU people and can have an annoying ratcheting sound. It also wont break. A minispool is illegal on the street and dangerous, but works great for drifting.

A: Generally, plugs are a **** factor. The cheapest ones will do the same job as the $120 a set jobbies at a 6th of the price.
Plug leads, generally the same, can range all the way up to 9mm, a good place to go is QLD ignition leads, $85 for any colour 9mm spiral wound core, and the deliver.

A: There are a few options. Basic turbo kits from Snort performance start at around $2999, but are complicated to do and still require a few parts and tuning, tapping into the sump etc. Expect from 160-350rwkw
CAPA does Vortech and Powerdyne kits also, starting around the $5000 mark. Expect around 180-220kw.
Raptor also do a centrifugal supercharger kit and are getting great results of up to 200rwkw on virtually stock AU's. These are complete bolt on in 5 hour kits including a generic tune to help you along till you get it tuned fully. Expect to pay around $5500.
Old 24-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Yeah, i disagree with the generalisation about the trans cooler, the factory setup is good, in fact cab work in sunny queensland sees the BTR's cover usually 400,000klms and then they die due to other non-heat related factors. It very much depends on what you do with your car.

Also I'll second the plug leads, QLD ignition leads are the ones to get.

First page and its all ready started, mate its FAQ do not disagree, its just Q and Answers.

Quote:
The thread is going to work exactly like when a cruise is organised. U simply copy the post above u, paste it then add your bit etc. So im going to start. Feel free to add more. I don't want people saying that is a good way but there is a better way. Simply just add to there post under the same question.
Old 24-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Is that what you were after Trav? Its all I could think of at the moment, lol.
yea exactly josh but just copy it and add on, don't do serperate posts. Like i fixed up after u posted.
Old 24-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

A: If you like your auto, yes. They cost around $120 and are easy to do by yourself. Well worth it. However, it all has to do with what your car's purpose is. QLD Cabs repeatedly report over 400,000klms from a stock box without a trans cooler.

Plug leads, generally the same, can range all the way up to 9mm, a good place to go is QLD ignition leads, $85 for any colour 9mm spiral wound core, and they deliver.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 24-09-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11244844
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Thanks for that JC. A lot of time and effort went into collecting all the threads and info in that thread yet, even though it is a sticky at the top of the page, people still miss it. Even when they're having a whinge about the fact that there isn't an FAQ thread!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Thanks for that JC. A lot of time and effort went into collecting all the threads and info in that thread yet, even though it is a sticky at the top of the page, people still miss it. Even when they're having a whinge about the fact that there isn't an FAQ thread!

Mate not everything is covered in that thread, i did see that thread and i know its there. Its the little questions that keep popping up. And sometimes its easier to read things in one thread, not over 20. See how it goes for a while, if it don't work it will just fade away. So no biggy And if u noticed, The threads are very different.
Old 25-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

If you ask me, I think its better for people to be asking questions. Even if their the same topics, it still keeps the forums going.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
fipcee
not so stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
If you ask me, I think its better for people to be asking questions. Even if their the same topics, it still keeps the forums going.
Agreed 100%,
Liquid silver AUIII XR6, BA scuff plates with Tickford inserts, proudly displaying AU falcon.com stickers, lowered, K&N panel filter with wide mouth snorkle, 2 1/2 exhaust and hi flo cat, Illusion mags, slotted and drilled rotors.
Next mods: extractors
fipcee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51OAU
Mate not everything is covered in that thread, i did see that thread and i know its there. Its the little questions that keep popping up. And sometimes its easier to read things in one thread, not over 20. See how it goes for a while, if it don't work it will just fade away. So no biggy And if u noticed, The threads are very different.
Ever thought about adding to that thread then?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #17
Cam
Stroking it...

The problem with this idea, and the "useful threads" link is that people want something personal, that fits their setup and their needs..

For instance "Q:What size exhaust for the AU?" if i asked that and got told a single 3" would do, it'd be wrong, because a high compression 347 has different needs to a NA I6
or..
"Q: What about Headwork?" would you recommend someone port stock GT40P's? They do a better job of stopping doors from closing if your after decent power...

A thread covering all bases would take forever to compile, and still be wrong because people take different routes to "go fast"

I think a post called "How to get more from your AU I6" would be better suited (or something similar), if someone wants to run 13's in their NA I6 then there IS a need to start a dedicated thread. With the I6's there is so many different options to take to run similar 1/4 times people start new threads to get something tailored to their needs / wants.

Otherwise every time someone posted and wanted more power from their I6 we'd say get a "buy a turbo".

It all comes down to budget, drivability and expectations, which varies from person to person...
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #18
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

close the thread if its a problem, i couldn't care.
Old 25-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #19
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Ever thought about adding to that thread then?

What make a thread bout a exhaust, then link it on that page. Seems like another useless thread. Just like mine.
Old 25-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #20
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Hey, 510AU. 10 points for throwing a idea out there but i think it would be a little to generalised. I know it can get a bit ho hum seeing the same questions asked but after all if there is no interaction this place might as well be a library.

Hey cam, those door stops you speak of got me a couple of 13.6 time slips last time i was at the drags. so if you have a few around your place holding doors open I'll swap ya with a rock or two and bang em in the local trading post @ $500 a pair.

Cheers, Craig.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #21
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
close the thread if its a problem, i couldn't care.
Quote:
What make a thread bout a exhaust, then link it on that page. Seems like another useless thread. Just like mine.
Wholly defensive batman... People come to a forum so they can ask questions, otherwise theres no need for forums, because everyones questions would already be answered in one magical post.. I didn't mean to offend, I was pointing out possible problems with the idea..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
Hey cam, those door stops you speak of got me a couple of 13.6 time slips last time i was at the drags. so if you have a few around your place holding doors open I'll swap ya with a rock or two and bang em in the local trading post @ $500 a pair.
I said they are useless for making decent power, not that people wont buy them, or that you wont be able to make 400m in under 14 seconds..
If they were capable of getting me 260+rwkw and 12 second passes I'd ditch my Victor JNRs and whack on some GT40P's...
Old 26-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #22
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

who cares if every one is making a thread about the same thing, keeps it interesting and something to look forward to when you come on fourms, that some one has posted a topic and with our brains can help the individual and work together to solve the question

otherwise no need for fourms

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #23
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Cam,

Victor JNRs out of the box flow around 260cfm on the inlet @.500 lift and stock GT40P's around 185cfm @.500 lift so yer the difference is day and night but i just think they have a place for the budget builder and would be more than capable of making decent power in fact GT40P mid lift numbers would suggest they would crap all over most after market Windsor heads in the low to mid range. So you say there useless and i will say there decent.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #24
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
who cares if every one is making a thread about the same thing, keeps it interesting and something to look forward to when you come on fourms, that some one has posted a topic and with our brains can help the individual and work together to solve the question

otherwise no need for fourms
Exactly!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #25
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
Cam,

Victor JNRs out of the box flow around 260cfm on the inlet @.500 lift and stock GT40P's around 185cfm @.500 lift so yer the difference is day and night but i just think they have a place for the budget builder and would be more than capable of making decent power in fact GT40P mid lift numbers would suggest they would crap all over most after market Windsor heads in the low to mid range. So you say there useless and i will say there decent.
I am not going to debate whether GT40P's are better then this head or that head, i really don't give much of a toss. I was simply pointing out floors in the idea of the FAQ being very general. I did not expect to have my examples debated further. Personally when it came to looking for decent power from my AU the GT40P's were not an option..

But in saying that, you have proven the point i was trying to make, people do different things for different results, and have different opinions. Personally, for a engine build I'd bin GT40P's and buy something better, but then you'd disagree stating they are better then some aftermarket heads and are good for a budget build etc etc The system works..

Thus why we are all on a Discussion forum..