Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #31
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
It won't. The turbo is used to produce that torque that's needed to climb the hills easily.
yes i understand that bit doofey...hence my point about the uphill nature of mount panorama circuit. I've posted on here several times in support of the ecoboost I4...the point of my post was moreso to illustrate that although ford's option of ecoboost 4 cylinder would do a better job in this particular test (due to torque), the best car for a given job RE fuel economy depends on where/how you drive it. I'm sure there will be applications where the I6 will come very close to matching the I4T fuel burn...but in other areas it will be very advantageous to go down the I4T route.

I think we can be pretty sure of two things though. The I4T would not be as slow or frustrating to drive as the 3.0 SIDI commodore. And its fuel burn would not be any worse than the 4.0 I6 falcon in virtually any test. As i said, this is the whole point of ecoboost tech....its minimizing fuel burn accross the entire torque/load map.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #32
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed Swordsman.
Old 13-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #33
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looking forward to this!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #34
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

This is going to be great and sorry for digging it up.

I also found it amusing seeing the driver list, guess who is in HSV....must of just been pure luck he picked that ride up.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #35
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

One of the drivers listed for the XR6T is Russell Christophers. For those that don't know he recently took over as head of Ford Aus product development, but was previously (up until just after FG launch) Falcon/Territory vehicle line director. If that guy doesn't know how to get the most ouf of an XR6T then no one does...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
This is going to be great and sorry for digging it up.

I also found it amusing seeing the driver list, guess who is in HSV....must of just been pure luck he picked that ride up.
Yes...well i think best not to waste too much time on that guy anymore. Oh bugger it i'll mention one little point.

Caradvice had a little audio file with John Cadogan (apparently their editor now) and he interviewed Dowling about the new HSV E2 range (amongt other things). Needless to say he was a massive fan...something cadogan (very much not a fan) was sceptical of....particularly the styling. Regardless, the best bit is where Dowling rabits on about (incorrectly) the fact that HSV has the first use in the world of a cruise control system that can apply the brakes. He then gets so excited because, in his own words, 'i didn't realise' that modern cars dont' use brakes to control their speed on cruise, the retard fuel/spark.... ah WTF! My mum knows that!! This guy is supposed to be someone you listen to on car matters, an 'expert'??? So now he is both biased and uninformed?!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 21-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #36
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
.................Caradvice had a little audio file with John Cadogan (apparently their editor now) and he interviewed Dowling about the new HSV E2 range (amongt other things). Needless to say he was a massive fan...something cadogan (very much not a fan) was sceptical of....particularly the styling. Regardless, the best bit is where Dowling rabits on about (incorrectly) the fact that HSV has the first use in the world of a cruise control system that can apply the brakes. He then gets so excited because, in his own words, 'i didn't realise' that modern cars dont' use brakes to control their speed on cruise, the retard fuel/spark.... ah WTF! My mum knows that!! This guy is supposed to be someone you listen to on car matters, an 'expert'??? So now he is both biased and uninformed?!
: Expert huh?
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #37
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://globalgreenchallenge.com.au/the-event

Theres a map of live placements on the road of the solar cars here.

And looks like you can see when its done all the fuel economy figures of the normal cars.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #38
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Currently, I can see the XR6Turbo on the map and a Skoda Superb, but the rest seem to be support vehicles?
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #39
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone is interested in the Tesla that is running in the challenge, it is being driven by the MD of the ISP Internode. They've set up a blog site for their team. http://blog.internode.on.net/
Old 25-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #40
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
If anyone is interested in the Tesla that is running in the challenge, it is being driven by the MD of the ISP Internode. They've set up a blog site for their team. http://blog.internode.on.net/
I'm doubtful the tesla will do very well, particularly in the heat.

I remember the review Top Gear did on it and it wasn't particularly encouraging.
Old 25-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #41
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Dowling rabits on about (incorrectly) the fact that HSV has the first use in the world of a cruise control system that can apply the brakes. He then gets so excited because, in his own words, 'i didn't realise' that modern cars dont' use brakes to control their speed on cruise, the retard fuel/spark.... ah WTF! My mum knows that!! This guy is supposed to be someone you listen to on car matters, an 'expert'??? So now he is both biased and uninformed?!
I'd like to hope that the brake function on these newer cruise control systems is switchable. When I'm going down a hill I prefer to let the car build momentum than sit on the brakes, and waste energy only to accelerate up the hill again. I believe it's a whole lot safer and smoother to let the car flow (within reason), rather than upset the balance anyway.
kircher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #42
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any chance the Fisker Karma will be entering? I think that deserves a lot more recognition.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #43
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR

I remember the review Top Gear did on it and it wasn't particularly encouraging.
That 'review' caused somewhat of a controversy. If it is the one where they ran out of power and are seen pushing the car back then don't judge the car by this.

The Tesla people were going to take legal action as the car hadn't actually ran out of power, the Top Gear Team implied it did to show what the owner would need to do IF they ran out of power while on the road.

Don't know the finer details, but a bit of searching will find the articles about it.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #44
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR

Have a read of the blog. Already been some trouble trying to charge it in the heat, but they've found a solution. It's not a practical, every day solution, but it works.
Couple of funny little things in there as well. Check out the pylon demolition.
Old 25-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #45
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kircher
I'd like to hope that the brake function on these newer cruise control systems is switchable. When I'm going down a hill I prefer to let the car build momentum than sit on the brakes, and waste energy only to accelerate up the hill again. I believe it's a whole lot safer and smoother to let the car flow (within reason), rather than upset the balance anyway.
Well you'd have to turn off the cruise i'd say. I doubt the 'brake assist' tech would be switchable...too much chance people would turn it off, forget they had and then negligently get up too much speed down hill or something.

If you want to do that you could always keep increasing the set speed and let the car 'roll' up to that speed...but its a bit hard to judge this. I'd just turn it off (which i do in my old EF) if you want to let it roll on like that.

As for upsetting the balance it ain't much of an issue...i'd say the coding for it would be able to recognise corners etc. and not grab huge brake as you go around one. Moreover you probably shouldn't be using cruise in that situation anyway. I doubt braking down a hill really upsets the balance much...it only intervenes to a degree as far as i know...eventually it will turn off the cruise entirely if its a really steep hill...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....