Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
kircher

Default excellent exhange rate (for importers)

With such a high value for the Australian dollar against the US dollar, how many people have considered importing performance items for their car, or other items from the US? I have looked at Jegs' website, and some items are ridiculously cheap compared to what we pay here.

For example; I was looking at ignition modules, and for $266.42 US you can get a Mallory 6AL and a free coil, inclusive of postage and handling. That works out to $292.45 AU delivered to your door. Add the 2 or 3% your credit card will attach to that and you have a digital ignition module with an adjustable rev limiter and a Mallory Promaster e Series coil for ~ $300. You don't have to pay import duties if your item(s) are under $1000 either. Cylinder heads and other items are quite cheap too, but you will have to pay GST and a 5% duty and other fees I believe. I think it's worth looking into if you're in the market for new parts. What do other people think?

kircher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

I just bought 2x maganaflow 200cpsi metallic cats from the US at $67 USD ea.I am getting free shipping so they are both costing me about $148 AUD, landed in melbtown.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb
I just bought 2x maganaflow 200cpsi metallic cats from the US at $67 USD ea.I am getting free shipping so they are both costing me about $148 AUD, landed in melbtown.
That's a great price.
kircher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

I did it the other month with an MSD billet dizzy and Blaster coil, before the exchange rate got even more favourable.

Cost me US$403 delivered, which worked out to about AU$525 at the time. And although the shipping costs of US$100 or so were horrendous, it still worked out cheaper than buying anything locally. In effect, I scored a free coil as the cheapest local price was about AU$520, then add postage on top of that.

Been buying bicycle parts from the UK for ages as well - even with shipping costs, it just works out so much cheaper.

Pity - I'd like to support local businesses, but it's hard to justify when the product is exactly the same. I guess you're taking the warranty into your own hands, but that's a risk I've always been prepared to take.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote