Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
sednwol

Default Air Con question.

Apart from the ovbious and it runs out : , is there a warning light that alerts you that the air con needs to be re-gassed? I have a series 3 XR8, and an AU series 2 Ghia. Also can anyone recommend a South-east Melbourne outlet. I am in Wantirna South. THX guys.

sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No light.

With low gas some vents may feel cold while others feel like normal. No gas and all the vents will be the same as the outside temp. Also if the system has no gas in it the A/C pump wont engage.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
munchkin323
AU XR6

I've been told that aircon systems are a closed system and therefore shouldnt require regassing. They will only require regassing if there is a leak pressent. Can anyone with more knoweldge confirm this?
munchkin323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

speaking of air con i have a question sorry to hijack sednwol.

My air con is on 20 degrees (climate control) but sometimes it will become so hot that it's cooler to open the windows, then it will cool down a bit again then heat back up, i noticed on auto it heats up but if i set a speed and outlet it cooled down a bit but then got hot again..is this the gas running out or something different?

cheers

btw same temp through all outlets
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF

My air con is on 20 degrees (climate control) but sometimes it will become so hot that it's cooler to open the windows, then it will cool down a bit again then heat back up, i noticed on auto it heats up but if i set a speed and outlet it cooled down a bit but then got hot again..is this the gas running out or something different?

cheers

I'm not the most knowledgeable bloke here but sounds like a blend door motor problem. The blend door controls the balance of cool / warm air.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF

cheers

Blocked TX valve. or needs a regas.
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkin323
I've been told that aircon systems are a closed system and therefore shouldnt require regassing. They will only require regassing if there is a leak pressent. Can anyone with more knoweldge confirm this?
mine was weeping out of the front seal on the pump , the pump does most of the hard yakka in most cases it will be the gas loss culprit, i noticed the leakage on mine when the car was up on ramps, it may have held a regass for another season but i thought better to just wack a newey on and have it be trouble free (hopefully)for another 6/8 years if it lasts as good as the original unit.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
sednwol

Quote:
I've been told that aircon systems are a closed system and therefore shouldnt require regassing
Is this correct re my AU's?
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sednwol
Is this correct re my AU's?
No. It's like the wheel bearings, which are sealed for life. The question is, the life of what/ in each case, for wheel bearings and A/C, it's the life of the first part to fail/leak. Your A/C should need a re-gas every couple of years as the TX thingy, receiver/drier, and pump all fail at one point or another and need to be replaced/serviced.

My compressor has just died, and I was up for $1200 for a new one (plus labour), but found brand newies on eBay for $395 delivered. They will be cheap aftermarket units, but for the price difference I'll be happy if they last even only half as long as the original (which has done 11 years service).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you get the system re gassed you should replace the receiver dryer and inline filter while its discharged.
Its a good idea to use your A/C a few times in winter as the sealing o rings can go hard and leak and using the system keeps the oil up to them.

My temp gets down to -1 Celsius on some days.

Beer Baron ;)
Old 12-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
whiskers
gone fishing

The air con system is a closed system but what JC has said is correct.

I was told that the TX valve/in line filter and the drier should be replaced annually but that can get expensive to do, but it should be done at least every couple of years as the drier doesn't do it job anymore and the tx valve gets blocked from the small shavings from the pump.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
DW260

Booked my ute in today to be re-gassed and serviced. $300.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post