Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #31
bingoTE50
Steve

I don't believe it. What would he weigh ? 15kg .....full frontal impact at 120k's would have made a mess of the honda...If it was a XY or a HQ maybe....not a modern car..
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #32
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Guys, its fake!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #33
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
Guys, its fake!
Agree.

I hit a medium sized roo at 80km/h (braked from 100). Besides smashing the plastic grill and pushing the bumper back a couple of millimeters on the TE Cortina, it did amazingly little damage, but the roo was dead as dog___!
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #34
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Also see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...-SURVIVED.html
and http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=52641

Seems plausible.
Old 26-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #35
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The video interview here is pretty convincing: http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines...-in-car-grill/
Old 26-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #36
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

and this press agency seems to be the pic source http://www.rexfeatures.com/features/...filter=A&pl=16
Old 27-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #37
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

An NBC ran it on their news http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/weird...ource=Facebook
Old 27-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #38
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Load of crap. Yeah, we just hit a coyote, let's wait 600 miles and 2 fuel stops before we decide to glance at the damage. Dream on.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 01:55 AM   #39
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Load of crap. Yeah, we just hit a coyote, let's wait 600 miles and 2 fuel stops before we decide to glance at the damage. Dream on.
I can understand the skepticism but it been picked up by enough credible news agencies to suggest it actually happened. Snopes hasn't indicated it's a hoax either. Did you watch the interview video; it helps explain why it survived?

I have also have hit various wildlife on long road trips (many in much excess of 600 miles being in WA) without checking the car until after I got home; especially at night when you are mostly focused on getting home ASAP or after working in the bush all week and wanting to get home to the family in Perth. I also drove from Perth to Sydney and back in one week once (via Adelaide, Vic, Snowies and Canberra going and via Broken Hill on the way) and I can tell you on way back having seen all of the dull Nullarbor once we weren't stopping for anything.

I've also had a roo jump sideways against the middle of a bumper bar on a Mini Moke (defensive innate reaction I guess) at around 70 mph + (whatever flat out in a Moke on gravel was) so the flats of both its feet hit the bar as if it was the ground and then jump off into the bush apparently unharmed. I had a bent drive shaft in the starter motor from the shock and only a slight bend in the roo bar. And look at how many people have survived road accidents where they had impacts at 75 mph or more even in the days prior to seat belts and air bags.

Last edited by aussiblue; 27-11-2009 at 02:06 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 02:25 AM   #40
MaTTe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im not saying this is real, but in relation to the comments about the unbroken bumper.. if you look really close, the plastic is pinching the fur on both of them, one more than the other, so the plastic is infact broken, just doesn't look like it.

But while on the topic of coyotes...

****** Read First : NASCAR incident********
>
>
>
> Joe Gibbs Racing driver Brad Coleman was testing a Gibbs NASCAR Sprint Cup Series car at Toyota Arizona Proving Grounds earlier this week and came onto the radio and told his crew something rather unusual.
>
> "Guys, I hit a coyote," Coleman said.
>
> Coleman was running close to 200 mph around the 10-mile test track when he saw the animal wander under the outside guardrail.
>
> "I'm in the middle of the corner, and I'm doing like 190," Coleman said Friday at Nashville Super Speedway before practicing his Nationwide Series car. "I'm just cruising. You run the high line there, because that's where the most banking is. It's the high-speed lane. There's just a guardrail there like on the freeway.
>
>
> "I see this thing, it must've been 100 feet in front of me, just jump out. Right when I saw it come out from under the guardrail, I was like, 'That's a coyote.'"
>
> "It just started smoking like crazy," Coleman said. "And it smelled terrible. I didn't see anything in the mirror, so I was like, 'I wonder where it went?' I said, 'Guys, I hit a coyote. I'm going to come in because I think it screwed up the radiator. I think it clogged up the grille a little bit.'"

Nascar radiators have some strength to them..
Old 27-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #41
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The video secured it for me... it's plausible. That grille was extremely soft plastic and could have acted like a crumple zone.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #42
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"WWAAAHHHH MAN WE JUST HIT A COYOTE",YYYEEAAAHHHH MAAAN THAT WAS FUUUNNNNYYY WAHAHAH",wanna nufu joint man,"YEEEAAAHHHH ,WAHAHA WE JUST HIT A COYOTE" ,"WAAANNNNAAA HAVE A LOOKSEE ",NNNAAAHHH MMMAAANN LEAVE IT", lets have a nufu joint instaed,"HHHEEEEYYY ALRRRRITTTTE MMMAAANNN",they probably didnt care about the COYOTE cause they were off their "FRICKEN HEAD",anyone with half a brain would of had a look
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #43
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
I cant believe they kept driving for 8 hours and 2 fuel stops without checking the poor animal, let alone not stopping at the scene! Ignorent morons.
I Agree - I am aways picking up animals that other people don't even stop for.... :

Lucky it didn't cause them some overheating problems
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #44
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I see that it could be real and can see how they didn't stop at the time to look for damage although at that speed and an animal that size i would of definitely had a look..but seriously 2 fuel stops and they didn't notice the fur etc hanging in the front end (should get their glasses checked or lay off the joints). And even if they blindly didnt surely someone else at a servo would have. Crazy stuff!

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #45
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

So thats our new Coyote V8. : . If its true he is one lucky animal
Old 27-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #46
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTTe
"It just started smoking like crazy," Coleman said. "And it smelled terrible. I didn't see anything in the mirror, so I was like, 'I wonder where it went?' I said, 'Guys, I hit a coyote. I'm going to come in because I think it screwed up the radiator. I think it clogged up the grille a little bit.'"
Well Put....
I think it clogged up the grille a little bit.... REALLY???

Back to the 'survival' story....
Wonder if the news reports were sponsored by ACME???

And of course if the TV news stations and the internet news agents ran the story - it must be true!?!?!?!?
*(thinks back to boy in balloon story)*
*(thinks back to the 12yr old babyfaced dad in the UK)*
*(thinks back to the world ending due to climate change)*
*(thinks back to the Y2K bug)*

Need I go on???
Old 27-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #47
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that nascar one looks fake! ?

the honda one looks real.

I have hit a magpie once as it was flying away from me at about 120 (in a hyundai accent). He would have been doing a good 60 himself and my lower grill ate him. I pulled over as I didnt see a puff of feathers and found him wedged in there with his head poking out looking around!!
I bent the plastic grill apart and he came out and flew off!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #48
TZENU
XY Driv3r

You can do some amazing things with Photoshop nowadays!
Old 27-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #49
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once ran over an owl... was driving my old HK Monaro through the national park with a mate we drove towards it, I saw it in the headlights, it turned it's head 180 degrees and look at me as I ran over it. No bump, no sound, nothing. I stopped immediately, but there were no feathers or anything anywhere on the car, or on the road. I think it was a ghost owl.

"There are ghost owls all over this highway..."
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #50
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

and re the overheating issue note that the mean November temperature in North San Juan California is a pretty nippy:

Av Max Temperature 17 °C
Av Mean Temperature 11 °C
Av Min Temperature 4 °C

Ref: http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html
and if it was at night time...
Old 28-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #51
Nick P
Starter Motor

word. HOLY
Nick P is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #52
Nick P
Starter Motor

1 word. HOLY SH T
Nick P is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #53
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Let me guess ... happened in the USA right? Explains a lot about the driver behaviour.
Being America they would have assumed that the dog had a gun and was going to rob them, so best to keep driving and get the hell outa there!

I must say I've heard of air-cooled engines and water-cooled engines but never a dog-cooled engine. Wow!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post