Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
eXi7w0unD

Default au alternator

is it possible to clean it?
like can u blast it with water? can i pour detol or sumething through it and then blast it with water?

its full of powersteering fluid which is very slowly dripping.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I'm guessing alternators are alternators for the most part and that being the case, I just had exactly the same problem with my NF fairlane- power steering fluid and gunk all over the alternator- So while I had the pump out and before I put the new one in all I did was hit the alternator with degreaser and then the hose and I've had no ill effects so far and it's been 3 weeks now and alls' good.

bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Remove it , then absoulety drown it spraying it with at least a cans worth of electrical contact cleaner ( get if from dicksmiths / jaycar / k-mart too i think etc etc ). Works a treat , as it is really made for cleaning electrical contacts , it takes a whole cans worth for it too eat all the crap off the outside of the casing too etc etc , but it does work , and is fully safe to use. Give it a good shake off after your done then give it a while to fully dry off (Around half an hour MAX), if it's still a tadd wet don't worry as the electrical contact cleaner is non conductive anyway, cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I agree with the Electrical Contact Cleaner as well ... I think it is in a blue/white can from CRC.

Works a charm on alternators.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
eXi7w0unD

thanks will do that this weekend
Old 08-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CRC 2016
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Just take it apart and give it a good clean, then you can check brushes commutator conditions. its a matter of undoing the screws and then sit it fan facing up and tap the front with a hammer upwards. cause thats where being clean counts.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
smally289
growing up is optional

Clean it as described aboveif you like, but it wont be long before it dies anyway.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #9
eXi7w0unD

yea well it did die after 8 years, got a new 1, 2 months ago its just a lil oily with powersteeing fluid is all.

i like to keep things clean!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:28 PM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I does actualy 'Help' to prolong the life of the alternator too slightly by soaking it with contact cleaner to clean it now and then !. Oils and so forth on electrical contacts (such as the brushes inside the alternator) are corrosive and also oils etc on these contacts help in burning these contacts quicker ( not good ).
Imo for the price of a can of contact cleaner it's worth soaking the crap out of it now and then ( spray it in the holes too to get it inside the alternator ) for the sake of cleaning the crudd off the contacts a bit and prolonging the life of the contacts/brushes a bit.
Personaly , i do it now and then just for the above reason , not realy to clean it externaly , but internaly / but it does clean the outside of it too. I have NEVER had an alternator crap it on me .

EDIT: also years ago i used to religiously use contact cleaner in the dizzy cap and points in my old XE , and i seemed to get nearly 2x the life time out of a dizzy cap / rotor arm and points ! . cheers.

:eclipsee_

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 09-07-2008 at 11:34 PM.
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
jrh001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSIX
Just take it apart and give it a good clean, then you can check brushes commutator conditions. its a matter of undoing the screws and then sit it fan facing up and tap the front with a hammer upwards. cause thats where being clean counts.
Hi,

Contact cleaner hasn't worked so I'm attempting to disassemble the (one year old!) alternator.

I've removed the four long bolts and the front of the housing rotates but won't separate from the back. Is it necessary to remove the pulley from the alternator? (And you do you remove it?)

JH
jrh001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

Hey, yeah a common problem with the AU's is the Power steering fluid dripping into the alternator, the fluid will eventually wear out the brushed, rendering the alternator useless,

i took my old alternator to an auto electrician and did a trade, and only payed $35 for a reconditioned one!

it was the simplest option to spending a few hours attempting the unrepairable (unless you replace the brushes inside)