Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #31
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was trying to express that people are breeching their responsibilities to take the points which are designed to put repeat offenders off the roads making the roads safer for all of us, and the fact that you can cop a higher fine in exchange for somebody losing points is just wrong if you ask me. This practice stinks of revenue raising not about putting repeat offenders off the roads.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #32
Wally
XP Coupe

Maybe the Govt could come with a scheme, where motorists can opt to pay an annual $500 fee and get discounted penalties and demerit points? _2:
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #33
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in SA and got done and the photo is front on, there is no close up of my face on the letter i got sent just a close up of number plate. can they clearly see your face? and do they actually check the photo's once you have nominated another driver?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #34
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
I feel that nobody should sell their points doing this keeps potentially unsafe drivers on the road (how else you rack 12 points)
If you live in VIC and soon to be QLD there is a very easy explanation for this.. *vic* has a transport minister who has never held a licance and qld is run by the biggest mistake ever conceived who have all the priorities in the wrong basket.

3k over and your gone in vic, and soon to be 1k over and your gone in qld... I can see how its extremely simple to not rack up 12 points... considering im still doing about 1000k a week, perhaps if I was more like my folks and only did 60-100k a week id be right.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #35
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
If you live in VIC and soon to be QLD there is a very easy explanation for this.. *vic* has a transport minister who has never held a licance and qld is run by the biggest mistake ever conceived who have all the priorities in the wrong basket.

3k over and your gone in vic, and soon to be 1k over and your gone in qld... I can see how its extremely simple to not rack up 12 points... considering im still doing about 1000k a week, perhaps if I was more like my folks and only did 60-100k a week id be right.
I do a hell of alot of kms for work as I work all over the place and while my record isn't spotless I have kept my licence (never got full 12 points) but you miss my point, they are selling points by allowing companies to not nominate a driver, and they claim that speeding fines etc is not revenue raising come on now. Also we are not allowed to sell points but the authorities are selling them...

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #36
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's called "perverting the course of justice". I know someone that tried it here in WA about 10 years ago, was fined $1200 and was nearly sent to prison over it.
So if you're going to do it be careful.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #37
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is that directed at me? I heard in WA they send you close ups of your face on the letter with the photo's of the car and plate. don't get the face photo down here though which is leading me to believe they dont check it
Old 05-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #38
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
I do a hell of alot of kms for work
and the major reason why the points system is inherently unfair - the more you drive, the more you are potentially penalised.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #39
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
I can see how its extremely simple to not rack up 12 points... considering im still doing about 1000k a week, perhaps if I was more like my folks and only did 60-100k a week id be right.
Think of interstate truck drivers that rack up anywhere from 3000 - 10,000k's a week and you will soon see why they have been kicking up a stink over the points systems for years.

Going to be interesting to see how it pans out, 1k over the speed limit when manufacturers tolerances are in the 3% range I think for speedo's.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #40
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't know how the fine system works these days... Had my licence for over 15 years without point loss, fine, or incident : And I drive a truck for a living also, so I do rack up a lot of K's, both in cars and trucks throughout the year and throughout the country. I have also lived in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast all my driving life,.. not some backwater 1 cop town.

Qld is about to bring in some of the harshest revenue raising in the country : So I'll just sit 5km under the limit and if that's too slow then :the_finge

Some people need to take their head out of their a$$ when driving and drive the dam car :eclipsee_ . If they can't do that they need to man up and cop it sweet :
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #41
B.J(inCanb)

Default If it was actually working then I agree

It's clearly a system that is still broken and they have not figured out how to fix it so they are taking the easiest way out, and that is user pays.....
In the ACT if my company recieves a fine it is pumped up a heap untill you nominate a driver, eg $500 for a small indescretion, (snr constable kenny's best guess of my speed when trying to bed that dammm EBII power steering pump in..!#%%^).
If you nominate the driver (signed stat dec with a witness) then the individual gets the points and the fine. Comprehensive bussiness Insurance could get real complex if driver is not nominated.
The local authorities give you a few kilometers grace which is fair enough.
Your points come good after a few years (3 years at last count).
It is good to think there is a system for trying to weed out the persitantly silly road users but it does not really vet the incompetant, ignorant nor blatently stupid.
The is that is still not fixing the problems.
It is lop sided against the road users that do big K's every year
I frequently exceed 60K in at least 1 vehicle per year, I hope some of it goes to growing experience and some sensibility.
the points system does not account for skills learned, taught, trained or practiced.
The road toll has barely improved at all in the last 2 decades despite the introduction of ABS (90's) Air bags (00's) ESC (currently).
(see Vic roads proud 3 % in 2009, that's barely a statistical anomlie, 343 in 2004 progressed to ~ 300 in 2009)(ACT 14/2007 14/2008 12/2009)
"wipe off 5" now has created a new victorian road user that rarely looks past the speedo.
The problem is still not being fixed, I am often horrified by the absolute ignoarance and incompetance of some L and P platers. It is plain scary to share the road with some drivers. The funds poured into some bits of the transport sector and not into some significant areas is often just plain stupid.
1) Little or no effort is placed on any form of skills training at the L or P level.(user pays=user suffers due to incompetance).
2) Little or no effort is placed on making traffic systems work beyond 1 set of traffic lights or one intersection. (except for some hints at infrastructure planning in Perth).(again user pays poor traffic = more fuel, more emissions, more lives).
3) Little regard is given to the simplest vehicle replacement technique of cheap public transport (except for free busses in Perth CBD).(user pays, we're already paying for crap public transport why not make it actually useful, eg. Geneva bus every 7 mins and for about 1 swedish franc)
How about some feedback measures to encourage the system to improve, like speed limits, road and license conditions adjusted up and down proportional to skills training, road or vehicle improvements.
How about speed indexes proportional to road improvements, rather than decreasing limits because the money is not spent on the roads in the first place.
How about gaining points for a long term clean sheet (not me unhapilly)
How about points back for actually improving skills (maybe me).
Then people may not want to sell the points at all they will actually have some intrinsic value.
I have been offered a lot of money for points by a wealthy client and I refused as he does not deserve a license. ( he is not impressed)
It's big too big for this little forum sorry, you got me started...

Steve not B.J.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #42
GT-E

In NSW there has been a huge loophole for company registered cars.
For private cars, you get an infringment notice from the Police, but for company cars it comes from the State Debt Recovery Office (SDRO). They require that a driver be nominated by the company. What you do is nominate a ficticius driver and put the address as a large unit block, but do not put the appartment.
The SDRO has no powers of investigation, so the company has undertaken their duty by nominating a driver. The SDRO will then send 4 notices to the "driver" and then after about 3 years it will be wiped form the system.
I know many people who have done this many times and it works.
Using backpackers is also a good idea.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i seem to remember someone saying if the company can`t nominate the driver they cop a large fine, someone will correct me if i`m wrong.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #44
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
In NSW there has been a huge loophole for company registered cars.
For private cars, you get an infringment notice from the Police, but for company cars it comes from the State Debt Recovery Office (SDRO). They require that a driver be nominated by the company. What you do is nominate a ficticius driver and put the address as a large unit block, but do not put the appartment.
The SDRO has no powers of investigation, so the company has undertaken their duty by nominating a driver. The SDRO will then send 4 notices to the "driver" and then after about 3 years it will be wiped form the system.
I know many people who have done this many times and it works.
Using backpackers is also a good idea.

pretty silly of a company to name a bogus name and address, this at last count was fraud I reckon it still is.
it would be cheaper to cop the fine than go down for fraud.

steve

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post