Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation QUEENSLANDERS are paying up to 9¢ a litre too much for premium unleaded

Motorists burned at bowser, says RACQ

Ursula Heger and James O'Loan
January 10, 2010 11:00pm
QUEENSLANDERS are paying up to 9¢ a litre too much for premium unleaded fuel, the RACQ says.

And motorists have little choice but to pay inflated prices, with more service stations removing regular unleaded bowsers – leaving just premium and ethanol-blended fuel, E10.

At least 133 fuel stations across the state no longer offer regular unleaded, ahead of a requirement that ethanol account for 5 per cent of all fuel sold in the state from December this year.

But RACQ spokesman Gary Fites said many motorists were being overcharged, given a new analysis showing premium fuels should sell for no more than 6¢ more than regular unleaded.

"The increasing number of motorists whose cars require premium unleaded are paying between 10 and 15¢ a litre above regular unleaded prices," he said.

Mr Fites said the removal of regular unleaded from service stations had left hundreds of thousands of motorists with no choice but to buy the overpriced premium products.

"On current estimates, a 10 per cent blend of ethanol in petrol is not suitable for around 30 per cent of petrol-engine vehicles," he said.

"That translates to at least several hundreds of thousands of Queensland motorists who face the prospect of paying inflated prices for premium unleaded to avoid the driveability or fuel system durability problems putting ethanol in their cars could create."

He said the premium rip-off had largely gone unnoticed because most price monitoring focused on the cost of regular unleaded – for which Queenslanders pay some of the highest prices in the country since the removal of the state's 8.3¢ a litre fuel subsidy last July.

The situation has angered motorists such as Marty Mason from the Sunshine Coast, who says his options at the bowser have dried up.

He now drives around looking for a bargain.

"It's a nightmare," he said from a Shell service station at Mooloolaba. "I put premium in sometimes, but it's expensive. And with ethanol, no one knows yet if it will do long-term damage to their cars."

In October last year, The Courier-Mail revealed "displacement" of regular unleaded bowsers had begun across Queensland ahead of the State Government ethanol mandate.

Fuel giant BP has already converted 117 sites, mainly across Brisbane and Mackay, to only sell E10 or premium fuels. So far 16 Caltex service stations have removed regular unleaded bowsers.

A spokesman for BP denied premium fuels were being sold at over-inflated prices.

"It is a low-volume high-quality product, it costs more to manufacture and the price is determined by the market," he said.

Again motorists are being ripped off and ACCC does nothing!!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow...motorists being overcharged for petrol. I am speechless.

This beats the revelation I received at Christmas when I was told that Santa was a gun-wielding drunkard. I think Weird Al for the information.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awwww.. Poor chookum's..... Getting screwed like the rest of Australia now you've lost your subsidie's... Welcome to reality..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
silver_xe

The idea of our subsidy was to compensate because our rego is dearer.
silver_xe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's happening in NSW as well. I think 91 is being removed from sale by the end of this year. It';s a state mandate and so far only NSW and QLD are taking this step. I think eventually it will go the way of leaded and be phased out completely
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correct me if I'm wrong here but the governments do not give a hoot cause they make a percentage on every litre sold. The higher the price the more they make.
The way I see it, until politicians become honest and run the country (which will never happen), it's a case of bend over and grit your teeth cause there will be more pain to come as this is only the tip of the fingerin' we are going to recieve.
In true Australian fashion, I'll say through clenched teeth and a fake smile "ON YA ANNA!"
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
xr6turboford

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_xe
The idea of our subsidy was to compensate because our rego is dearer.
QLD had a 8cents subsidy for years + cheaper rego. You are now catching up to the rest of Aust. No more moths in your wallet now.

As for petrol prices I filled the car up last week with Vortex and noticed the price difference was 11cents. Funny thing was they had this big sign reading police targeting fuel theft. Think they had that the wrong way around.
Anyway I stopped down the road had a look at Shells prices and behold ONLY 6cents extra, looks like Shell from now on.
xr6turboford is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
rns-11z

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford
QLD had a 8cents subsidy for years + cheaper rego. You are now catching up to the rest of Aust. No more moths in your wallet now.

As for petrol prices I filled the car up last week with Vortex and noticed the price difference was 11cents. Funny thing was they had this big sign reading police targeting fuel theft. Think they had that the wrong way around.
Anyway I stopped down the road had a look at Shells prices and behold ONLY 6cents extra, looks like Shell from now on.
key word here we did

It was Gossip

Team AMG Cafe menu
Breakfast ///M3
Lunch ///M5
Dinner ///M6
Fruity Desert RS8
rns-11z is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford
QLD had a 8cents subsidy for years PAID FOR OUT OF OUR OWN BACKPOCKET, + MOST EXPENSIVE REGO ON THE MAINLAND. You are now catching up to the rest of Aust. No more moths in your wallet now.

Bold parts denote corrections
Old 11-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
Brent1979
Starter Motor

My last rego in QLD for a V8 was 974.70 for 12 months. Yes its a V8 but how
does that compare to the rest of the states? I have an AU I6 fairlane now and it only runs smooth on 95RON. Meh

Brent
Brent1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

$974!!! We're in the $600's in Vic.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
fg_nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent1979
My last rego in QLD for a V8 was 974.70 for 12 months. Yes its a V8 but how
does that compare to the rest of the states? I have an AU I6 fairlane now and it only runs smooth on 95RON. Meh

Brent
900 dollars (aprox) in NSW for an FG Falcon XR6. (inc CTP) We do not have the V8 surcharge you Banana benders have.... YET

Ahahahah I see some of the government clowns from Victoria and NSW have given your government some money making ideas.
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

Its over $1000 for a V8 in QLD no, $800 for a 6.

Also, its not having a whinge about paying the most for our fuel in Australia, its the fact that Premium is at a 14c more expensive rate per litre the regular. And now that the ethanols replaced it, which is 2cpl cheaper then regular, its now around 16cpl more expensive. THATS what the problem is. And the 8 cpl subsidy was a farce anyway. Travel from Brisbane to tweed, cross the border and see what the price difference was, and whats the difference? O. The fuel subsidy never really existed, well it did, but not to the extent of actually seeing a difference at the bowser. Now Vpower is around the $1.48 mark most days, coupled with our quite obscene rego prices hits pretty hard to the old wallet.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
bingoTE50
Steve

Yep Mony the party is over . Dearest rego in Australia , fuel is up there ,house prices are now very close to Sydney , but we earn less....off to Tassie next I think...lol
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

you guys carry on like the rest of the country only pays 6cpl more for premium over regular. news flash, its not just qld.

not much change from $900 for v8 rego in adelaide either.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Also, its not having a whinge about paying the most for our fuel in Australia, its the fact that Premium is at a 14c more expensive rate per litre the regular. And now that the ethanols replaced it, which is 2cpl cheaper then regular, its now around 16cpl more expensive. THATS what the problem is.
Today is your lucky day, I can put your mind at ease as it's exactly the same in Sydney.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Today is your lucky day, I can put your mind at ease as it's exactly the same in Sydney.

Well I am feeling lucky. I never said it wasnt, I really dont have a problem with what I pay, to a certain extent. I wasnt saying poor QLD, even though it does seem that way, but that wasnt my intention. I think its outright crap overall.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #18
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its over $1000 for a V8 in QLD no, $800 for a 6.

Also, its not having a whinge about paying the most for our fuel in Australia, its the fact that Premium is at a 14c more expensive rate per litre the regular. And now that the ethanols replaced it, which is 2cpl cheaper then regular, its now around 16cpl more expensive. THATS what the problem is. And the 8 cpl subsidy was a farce anyway. Travel from Brisbane to tweed, cross the border and see what the price difference was, and whats the difference? O. The fuel subsidy never really existed, well it did, but not to the extent of actually seeing a difference at the bowser. Now Vpower is around the $1.48 mark most days, coupled with our quite obscene rego prices hits pretty hard to the old wallet.
do you have to buy a green slip to go with the rego? my rego and ctp will set me back over $800 next time it gets renewed, plus the extra $140 for the number plate. my local bp servo has switched to e10 now and the ultimate is 20c/L dearer.
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #19
MR_LON
ORSMT5

no different in vic, premium is 13cpl dearer than regular at BP servo's
EO XR5 with blacked out highlights, grilles & fog surround, black angel eye headlights, black turbo badges, eibach springs, bluepower custom tune, motorcade ic & intake piping, Xforce turbo back exhaust, lexus style rear fog/reverse lights, EBC red pads, Goodridge braided lines, Motul 5.1 fluid, custom fibreglass bonnet & slam panel cover, under bonnet bling & more soon
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Well I am feeling lucky. I never said it wasnt, I really dont have a problem with what I pay, to a certain extent. I wasnt saying poor QLD, even though it does seem that way, but that wasnt my intention. I think its outright crap overall.
Since you put it that way, I'd have to agree.

When Premium was for the enthusiast who just wanted a higher octane fuel in their car, IIRC, the difference was 4c/litre. Now we have a whole gamut of cars that require premium, oh.. that'll be 14c+/litre, thanks..! Reeks of gouging.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #21
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Premium used to only be 95 octane but now is 98 but even as 98 it was only 9c higher when it was introduced. As for the QLD bit it was bound to happen sooner or later. They don't get as much from the Feds per capita as they did 15 years ago so now they have to sell off the farm to make ends meet. Dropping subsidies etc is part of that.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

If your whinging about V8 rego DONT OWN ONE simple. Also if you sooking about premium fuel drive a car that doesnt need it.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
If your whinging about V8 rego DONT OWN ONE simple. Also if you sooking about premium fuel drive a car that doesnt need it.
My WQ Feista uses Premium..It can run on 95 but power is down. Anything Euro needs 98...to run properly...
Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #24
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Wow...motorists being overcharged for petrol. I am speechless.
Yeh, but remember it is Queensland and they have only just woken up to the fact of it
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
Yeh, but remember it is Queensland and they have only just woken up to the fact of it
Oh snap