Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #31
LTDHO
The one and only

I've noticed it a lot in Vic, empty patrol cars parked on the side of the road.

Bad luck if you approach one requiring help.

I see there are two sides to this, but I can only be concerned that while there is a car parked empty on the side of the road, there are people getting away with offences everywhere? What are the two officers doing if they are not in their car?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #32
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if that was what was in the Lancer parked on the Old Pacific Highway between Brooklyn and Pie In the Sky we saw on the run to Moonie on Sunday.

That lancer would have NO chance at catching one single thing on that road, especially when the majority are high powered road bikes having a fang.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #33
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

[QUOTE=FPV+fteT3].....NSW police are using dummies to try to get motorists to slow down.....QUOTE]

And the news is? I thought that was a prerequisite for becoming Hwy Patrol.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #34
IngoStang

Personally I think the only way people will slow down is if the repercussions are more severe. My points are what matter to me not the fine. Maybe 6 points gone in one hit would make people actually think about driving the speed limit
IngoStang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #35
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

honestly this is a way to desensitize people to a particular HWP car placement sit a pretender there for a couple days, and when joe public cottons onto it being a "dummy" car they will swap it over for a real one and rake mega dollars in fines, everything they do is to revenue raise don't lose sight of that

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #36
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how long untill 1 of the radios or jackets like the car they showed on the news had in it, gets stolen
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #37
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

when i saw this i was WTF , god the police are so stupid at times
Old 12-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #38
The Snout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
My only question is why should the presence of a marked police car be the only reason to follow the speed limit.
Yep I agree. It's real **** about thinking.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #39
The Snout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA77
Personally I think the only way people will slow down is if the repercussions are more severe. My points are what matter to me not the fine. Maybe 6 points gone in one hit would make people actually think about driving the speed limit
1 speeding occurance in a year results in a fine.

2 in a year results in loss of licence.

Continue driving after loss of licence results in loss of licence for a further year/fine and potentially jail time.

People talk tough on how the justice system should be tough on laws. Interesting to see how they feel when it could affect them.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #40
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Me thinks that cardboard cutouts will end up either:
1) Being Graffiti Boards
2) Being stolen by a Bogan with a Commodore ute (and optional Chev badges)
3) Being Torched

I've always said that we should be harder on speeding, to ensure that people really do be more careful and speed less...
At the end of the day, its your own life you hold in your hands... and if you are responsible, safe, and considerate of others, you might actually get from A to B without too much fuss/stress/danger...

I am also a big believer of a .00 BAC rule for all drivers.... Simple rule... you have a drink, you don't drive.... No more "I've had a couple of beers but I'm still good to go"...

I could go on an on about road safety and the dumb things people do... and it DOES concern me as I have 3 young kids who I would like to see grow up, and I really don't want me or anyone in my family to become a statistic...

So I will continue to stick to the speed limit, and continue to watch people lane-swerve to pass 1 car, and continue to watch hoons hammer past me on the roads, and continue to smirk when I catch back up to them at the next red light or roundabout...

*(WAY OFF TOPIC - but coming back now)*

Scarecrow cops... are they a new thing.... I thought most of the ones out there now aren't really doing much anyways.... ???
Old 12-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #41
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember reading years ago the first speed detecting device was a policeman in a booth that took your cars details and time then rang the poilce officer down the road to pass on info where he calculated the speed by the time difference.
Then they just put dummies in booths which fooled the public for a while. But they canned the idea when the booths were constantly being burned down.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #42
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I think it's a brilliant idea.
If you're travelling along, spot this HWY Patrol car, look down and notice you are doing 10ks over, you'll crap yourself and slow down. When you realise the car didnt give chase you'll be relieved but it will hopefully scare you enough to ensure you dont speed for the rest of your trip.

And those of us that cotton on to that fact its a fake, well one day that car might be manned and they'll actually come after you.
I think Marked cars are the best way to slow you down. You only have to think there is a greater police presence to slow most people down.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #43
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
I think it's a brilliant idea.
If you're travelling along, spot this HWY Patrol car, look down and notice you are doing 10ks over, you'll crap yourself and slow down. When you realise the car didnt give chase you'll be relieved but it will hopefully scare you enough to ensure you dont speed for the rest of your trip.

And those of us that cotton on to that fact its a fake, well one day that car might be manned and they'll actually come after you.
I think Marked cars are the best way to slow you down. You only have to think there is a greater police presence to slow most people down.
People will be fooled into thinking there's a greater police presence based on *5* dummy vehicles for the whole of the state of NSW?

It also incorrectly assumes that speeding (and these will likely be placed on long carriageways where people are doing a constant speed) is the major cause of accidents. It's just the easiest one to target for revenue and requires the least amount of effort to police.

We're being policed by fake police now? You could drive past one of these nissed as a pewt, 6 times over the limit, swerving all over the road... we need more police on the roads and having them address more than just speeding offences.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #44
LTDHO
The one and only

Exactly right Rod.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 13-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #45
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
I wonder if that was what was in the Lancer parked on the Old Pacific Highway between Brooklyn and Pie In the Sky we saw on the run to Moonie on Sunday.

That lancer would have NO chance at catching one single thing on that road, especially when the majority are high powered road bikes having a fang.
Na mate, there was a cop in it.. I know cos he gave me an intense dirty look haha
Old 13-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #46
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
They could probably buy 2 stickered up bog standard XT's for the price of a HWY Patrol car. What would be wrong with employing civilians to drive them around and park them in high risk areas.
why not lancers or focus'? i think thats a goood idea. the only true way to get people to slow down is have a higher police pressence on our roads. speed cameras dont slow us down, driving near a police car does
Old 13-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #47
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I've noticed it a lot in Vic, empty patrol cars parked on the side of the road.

Bad luck if you approach one requiring help.

I see there are two sides to this, but I can only be concerned that while there is a car parked empty on the side of the road, there are people getting away with offences everywhere? What are the two officers doing if they are not in their car?
highway patrol cars arent there to help people. theyre there to raise revenue
Old 13-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #48
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
highway patrol cars arent there to help people. theyre there to raise revenue
My bad!
Old 13-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #49
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
My bad!
Old 13-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #50
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've always wanted to know if there's a difference driving a normal car and one that looks like a police cruiser. my guess is motorists would slow down and be more courteous.
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #51
79bluexd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought that NSW police were dummies . can comeone explain the difference ?? hehe
79bluexd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #52
79bluexd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why not put a stripper. that will slow people down ,.....
79bluexd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #53
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
People will be fooled into thinking there's a greater police presence based on *5* dummy vehicles for the whole of the state of NSW?

It also incorrectly assumes that speeding (and these will likely be placed on long carriageways where people are doing a constant speed) is the major cause of accidents. It's just the easiest one to target for revenue and requires the least amount of effort to police.

We're being policed by fake police now? You could drive past one of these nissed as a pewt, 6 times over the limit, swerving all over the road... we need more police on the roads and having them address more than just speeding offences.
5 Major roads that probably see a fair chunk of the population driving through, along with busy peak hour. I think for the fairly small price its a great idea.
If you see police regularly on a stretch of road you begin to pay a little more attention then on a road you never see police on.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #54
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Here's an idea - put more actual police on the roads.
Dont be silly Rod, that would not only be sensible but would cost money. Something Our Govt is short of.
Old 13-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #55
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

more cops would mean more traffic fines issued, careful what you wish for....

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #56
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Here's an idea - put more actual police on the roads.
Best solution yet.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post