Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 
Default Legality of headlight covers?

Is it legal to use opaque or semi transparent headlight covers during the day? I know some classic cars have headlight covers that hide the lights completely.

It may end up looking ********, but I've mocked it up in photoshop and I like how it looks (tinted black covers, semi transparent so you can still see parkers if they're on etc.)

Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Depends on your state I suppose. I know there have been quite a few driving around in QLD with no probs but that does not mean they are legal. I would suggest that if you are caught with them on in low conditions requiring headlights, you are gone. Would be a case of pull over and remove them moment the street lights come on, personally I do not see the point.
Old 22-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Obviously you'd need to keep a section on the edge clear for the side indicators. But you get the idea.
Old 22-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I know what you mean, as pictured would be highly illegal at any time as the indicators or obscured.
Old 22-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I know what you mean, as pictured would be highly illegal at any time as the indicators or obscured.
NSW - from the official transport website PDF
Quote:
Some vehicle owners have even gone to the extent of fitting opaque plastic or metal covers to their headlights.
There is no objection to these covers if they are easily removable without the use of tools and are not used with the
headlights on.
Permanently fixed covers are not permitted. Covers with slots or holes in them are not permitted
either, because they drastically reduce lighting efficiency.

QLD - from the official transport website PDF
Quote:
From the QLD transport website

Tinted headlight covers are acceptable but must be removed when high or low beam
headlights are operated.
Old 22-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd say your headlights would need to meet a minimum lux on high and low beam and covers would affect that. i supposed if you upped the power until it meets that minimum they wouldn't ask you to remove them??
The guys that build Mad Max Interceptors come up against this issue, as the car is supposed to have darkened covers.
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i'd say your headlights would need to meet a minimum lux on high and low beam and covers would affect that. i supposed if you upped the power until it meets that minimum they wouldn't ask you to remove them??
The guys that build Mad Max Interceptors come up against this issue, as the car is supposed to have darkened covers.
As my post above quotes, it's legal during the day to have tinted headlight covers, I guess they figure you won't need headlights at daytime.

I'll make sure they come off easily/without tools if I end up doing it and obviously not drive with them on if it's really overcast or late in the afternoon.
Old 22-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh JWM I6
NSW - from the official transport website PDF

QLD - from the official transport website PDF

As I said. The caveat to this is both these regs only refer to headlights, I am sure you will find regs that state indicators are not to be tinted. Therefore the covers pictured would be illegal, need to leave the area over the indicators clear.

Quote:
There is no provision in the regs for use of tinted covers with upgraded bulbs, therefore still illegal.
Old 22-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
nstg8a

thats interesting, i always thought they were illegal, iv have some i use on my xf for club events, but thats it.

nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
Kryton

Just have to look back to the old P5 LTD days with the flip around lights.
same deal more or less - no headlights visible at all when they arent turned.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC807
looks like one of those "i have no real money for real mods, so i'll just spraypaint something or put altezza taillights in" kind of deal
if done right some mods dont need to cost a million bucks to look it :

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

what if you own 'said' altezza... then they are factory fitted ;)

in qld, you can have them on so long as they are removed at dusk, *fairly sure OP has posted this legislation* had them on my EB ages ago, never had an issue but got sick of taking them off all the time so they just stayed off.

what about the mod of darkening the lens its self aka BF2 fairmont ghia style, a little more work but think the result would be worth it

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...

Last edited by russellw; 24-01-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Removed quote
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
what if you own 'said' altezza... then they are factory fitted ;)

in qld, you can have them on so long as they are removed at dusk, *fairly sure OP has posted this legislation* had them on my EB ages ago, never had an issue but got sick of taking them off all the time so they just stayed off.

what about the mod of darkening the lens its self aka BF2 fairmont ghia style, a little more work but think the result would be worth it
Pretty sure I read it isn't legal to put any kind of tinting on the physical headlights.
Old 22-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #14
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

'lens' as in not the headlight polycarbonate plastic its self, im referring to talking apart your headlight and tinting the 'chrome' part, such as seen in the BF Fairmont ghia's, they are still a clear plastic but with darkened lens. ditto for my old T3 TS50 they have a darkened bezel.

Old 22-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

If you are talking of modifying the reflector of the headlight by tinting, that would be illegal as it alters the light characteristics of the headlight. The surround (black plastic in XT/XR/FPV, chrome in Fairmont etc) is fine as it does not alter the light characteristic or performance of the headlight.
Old 22-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Kryton

Quote:
If you are talking of modifying the reflector of the headlight by tinting, that would be illegal as it alters the light characteristics of the headlight. The surround (black plastic in XT/XR/FPV, chrome in Fairmont etc) is fine as it does not alter the light characteristic or performance of the headlight.
What i think UNR8D meant was that the BF 2 Ghia has factory darkened headlight lenses (from memory, i think they do).
If it can be done from factory, i think the point he was trying to make was that why cant you do it yourself - alright for the factory - not alright for you.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
What i think UNR8D meant was that the BF 2 Ghia has factory darkened headlight lenses (from memory, i think they do).
If it can be done from factory, i think the point he was trying to make was that why cant you do it yourself - alright for the factory - not alright for you.

Because they prove that the unit meets all relevant standards for design, safety and performance, you don't.

Simple fact is if it reduces the performance of the headlight, it is illegal.
Old 22-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #18
nstg8a

with the blackening of headlights, its been done a few times on xfalcon, pull them apart, and basically spray everything black except the reflectors, makes quite a difference.

Last edited by russellw; 24-01-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Quote removed
Old 22-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #19
BA Baracus
xls

Few years back I left work near the Valley approaching peak hour and the birds were singing, sun was shining bright, ..got to the start of Coronation Drive coming off the Riverside expressway and faced a wall of horizontal hail. Was chaos, people were going everywhere or giving up and stopping dead in the middle of the road. Would of been stuffed without functioning headlights.

Also tunnels are the latest craze in road infrastructure and you'd think it would be illegal for obvious reasons there. Maybe the law is designed to allow for cars with closing or revolving headlights but in those you generally don't need to stop, hop out and stuff around.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #20
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Baracus

Also tunnels are the latest craze in road infrastructure and you'd think it would be illegal for obvious reasons there. Maybe the law is designed to allow for cars with closing or revolving headlights but in those you generally don't need to stop, hop out and stuff around.
in case of a tunnel il flick on my driving lights and imagine im just another hsv driver...
Old 22-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #21
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
everything bar the reflector, essentially the bezel surrounds

Old 23-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #22
kenz
BOSS Pilot

you could have a look at www.crystalite.com.au
It is on its way to becoming legal headlight tint. Already legal in WA and should be everywhere else hopefully soon. Theres a silver commo in the gallery on there which Im guessing is the darkest you can get on the lights

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 24-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #23
ossie cossie

Im in WA and am going to get the headlights tinted on the F6, with the crystalite effect in the near future. Been quoted $250 for the headlights and will do the fog lights for free.
ossie cossie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #24
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossie cossie
Im in WA and am going to get the headlights tinted on the F6, with the crystalite effect in the near future. Been quoted $250 for the headlights and will do the fog lights for free.
be sure to post up some photos, pretty keen to see how it turns out

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote: