Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #91
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Camrys are made in Russia, China, Japan, the US and here of course - with the sales levels the Camry/Aurion achieves here, I can't see why Toyota would continue to persist with such a low volume when the same cars can be sourced from Japan for the Aussie market and the US for the Middle East market. Probably cheaper too when economies of scale are taken into account.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #92
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Camrys are made in Russia, China, Japan, the US and here of course - with the sales levels the Camry/Aurion achieves here, I can't see why Toyota would continue to persist with such a low volume when the same cars can be sourced from Japan for the Aussie market and the US for the Middle East market. Probably cheaper too when economies of scale are taken into account.
Toyota Australia exported 100,000 Camrys to the Middle East in 2008,
I believe they sent quite a few less last year though...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #93
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
  • Altona, Victoria, Australia
  • Chachoengsao, Thailand (Aurion)
  • Georgetown, Kentucky, United States
  • Guangzhou, China (Aurion)
  • Cikarang, Indonesia (Aurion)
  • Lafayette, Indiana, United States
  • Toyota, Aichi, Japan
  • Saint Petersburg, Russia
  • Santa Rosa, Laguna, Philippines (Aurion)
  • Shah Alam, Malaysia (Aurion)
  • Jhongli, Taiwan[1]

Camry engines will come from Thailand, and the cars will probably follow come 2018. I think Altona is in more trouble than they are letting on, especially when any of the other plants above make the same car, and can export just as easily as Altona did.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #94
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
[
Camry engines will come from Thailand, and the cars will probably follow come 2018. I think Altona is in more trouble than they are letting on, especially when any of the other plants above make the same car, and can export just as easily as Altona did.
Is that the newer 2.5 litre engine that's being used elsewhere?
If so, that makes a lot of sense as the Altona 2.4 is out of date.
Old 21-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #95
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Is that the newer 2.5 litre engine that's being used elsewhere?
If so, that makes a lot of sense as the Altona 2.4 is out of date.
I don't even know if the 2.4 makes Euro IV for that matter John. If it does, it is safe until 2012, and possibly beyond. If it doesn't, then that's game over for the engine plant at Altona.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #96
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't even know if the 2.4 makes Euro IV for that matter John. If it does, it is safe until 2012, and possibly beyond. If it doesn't, then that's game over for the engine plant at Altona.
Toyota were saying the new body RAV4 shown in Europe won't be coming to Australia
for at least two years because Toyota intend continuing with the 2.4 so maybe they will
keep the local 2.4 going in Camry until then, time changes with all new Camry?

Also Andrew,
I suspect toyota is overselling the Camry Hybrid, I wonder just how many sales they really get..
Old 21-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #97
Starter Motor

Why do the jurnos of Australia continue to try to control the way people buy and vote. They can control the way everyone thinks by publishing how they feel till the population comes their way. Look at the election of 07 all we heard about was K Rudd and how good he would be for the country (it may had been right try but the media controlled the election outcome). Also with Mitsubishi with the 380 it was a good car yet they bagged it till we lost another car industry to overseas. Now they are starting on Ford these journalists are Australian and I feel that they should be promoting the Australian products not trying to destroy the our industries in which ever area they want. Australia needs manufacturing industries whether its Ford, Holden, King Gee, Westinghouse or whatever.

It makes me sad when I see Australians driving in their Korean utes with Australian Flags flying from them on Australia Day, if you are truly Australian buy an Australian vehicle and support our own industry.

Remember once they go offshore they will be gone forever
70773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #98
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
  • Altona, Victoria, Australia
  • Chachoengsao, Thailand (Aurion)
  • Georgetown, Kentucky, United States
  • Guangzhou, China (Aurion)
  • Cikarang, Indonesia (Aurion)
  • Lafayette, Indiana, United States
  • Toyota, Aichi, Japan
  • Saint Petersburg, Russia
  • Santa Rosa, Laguna, Philippines (Aurion)
  • Shah Alam, Malaysia (Aurion)
  • Jhongli, Taiwan[1]
Holy crap that's heaps. With that sort of production available elsewhere (with much higher throughput) it makes you wonder why Toyota bother with Altona at all.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post