Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
BundyJD
Starter Motor

Default AU III XR6 engine randomly dies

My wife's XR6 has been playing up for the last few weeks, apparently it just suddenly dies as she's driving along, but can be quickly restarted. Never seems to happen on short trips, usually when she's been across town and back.

I have driven the car a few times myself, but haven't had it happen.

Pulled the iridium plugs out which looked fairly eroded and replaced them with new Bosch platinums, have also done air filter and about to try a new fuel filter.

Any ideas what else this might be? Not real familiar with these engines, so thinking maybe coil pack or ECU (I assume there is one)?

Grateful for any ideas.....

Cheers,

John

BundyJD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might be electrical issue,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

do a ECU reboot i dont remember how to do it look it up

it dosent sound like a coil pack if it was that it run Realy lumpy and slow thay call that LIMP HOME MODE

so try a ecu reboot and see what happens
Old 14-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that sounds a bit weird , any other symptoms?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Does the idle go erratic or just very low before it dies? If so, I'd be checking the IAC/ISC valve on the TB. Plenty of threads on here about that one.

Other than that, it could be the coil pack, but you'd expect that to work or not work more conisistently.

Intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose and fix, so good luck with this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BundyJD
My wife's XR6 has been playing up for the last few weeks, apparently it just suddenly dies as she's driving along, but can be quickly restarted. Never seems to happen on short trips, usually when she's been across town and back.

I have driven the car a few times myself, but haven't had it happen.

Pulled the iridium plugs out which looked fairly eroded and replaced them with new Bosch platinums, have also done air filter and about to try a new fuel filter.

Any ideas what else this might be? Not real familiar with these engines, so thinking maybe coil pack or ECU (I assume there is one)?

Grateful for any ideas.....

Cheers,

John
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
BundyJD
Starter Motor

Thanks for the suggestions, i'll do a search for the ECU reset and IAC info and see if that improves things. The idle was a bit rough prior to changing the plugs, but seems ok now.

@Mik - according to the wife it "conked out" once as she was turning through a roundabout, and on another occasion as she was taking off from the traffic lights it got up to about 20km/h then just died. Both times she pulled over quickly and was able to restart it.

Not the best description of symptoms I know, but that's pretty much all I have to work with.
Old 14-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm. The fact she was going around the round-about made me think Power steering switch? It helps keep the revs up to counteract the strain the pump puts on the motor when you turn.

When you said it did it when she was going straight accelerating away from the lights at 20k has me stumped. Definetely electrical. Dodgy ground to ECU?

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
skelly

i think it might be the same problem as mine.

Mine is just a AU II manual but when the fuel is below half when i turn sometimes engine dies and wont accelerate till im going straight again. I dare say ur XR6 is auto? cause my friends auto has the same problem. engine cuts out on low fuel.

Get a full tank and drive around and im 95% sure it wont happen.
skelly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
BundyJD
Starter Motor

You might be onto something there skelly, it is an auto and she does have a habit of letting the tank get fairly low before filling it. Something to do with the location of the fuel tank pickup maybe?

Also starting to suspect she may have been putting that Caltex E10 ******** in it as well.
Old 15-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
skelly

well for the price your spending on fuel, whats a extra 3 or 4 dollars.

Stick with unleaded and try keep it above half, thats what i do with mine and problem no more ;)
skelly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mines an auto, stock au series 1, and i have no problems with fuel even with 30 dte kms to go, might be fuel pump or blocked filter

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 15-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
BundyJD
Starter Motor

Thanks for the tips, just bought a new fuel filter so i'll put that on over the weekend.

No idea where the fuel pump even is, but i'll do a search and see how it looks.

Don't suppose it's possible to drain the tank without removing it?
Old 15-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pull the boot carpert up, its beside where your spare wheel sits, on the left hand side closet to the back seat,

Old 15-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good starting point i think, ....keep us posted, i think whoosha did a fuel pump replace write up if it comes too that..
Old 15-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...mp+replacement
there you go, compliments of Whoosha.