Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Default Dodgy?

(Posting this here as it'll get more hits than in advice central)

As some may know,

I run into a fair bit of trouble driveline wise…

Now, end of last year I had my driveplate/flexplate, torque converter and pump assembly all replaced…Cost me an arm and a leg.
Probably about 1000km of driving and the car was off the road again, this time, gearbox was shagged.
Left it off the road as I was using my girlfriends Micra as she had her license suspended.

Anyways, took it to a different workshop this time to get the box rebuilt, trans cooler and 3g stall.
Old mate pulled the box apart (free of charge) and has pin pointed the gearbox failure to the PUMP. Which the previous workshop should have replaced.

I have an invoice from the previous shop that says they replaced the pump assembly. The previous workshop also has a ’12 month guarantee’ on all their work…

The bloke at the workshop said to me that the pump was defiantly not replaced 1000km as the amount of wear on it shows otherwise. This bloke has 30 years experience with autos so I do believe him.

Another thing the current workshop said, is that the converter that’s in it now is on it’s way out….Wait, didn’t the previous workshop replace it with a new one as per the invoice??

Now, do I have a leg to stand on it I contact the previous workshop with all the evidence I have and try and get a win out of it?
Considering my new built box is costing upwards of 4g with the pump assembly ALONE costing $900…

Oh and if it helps, I’m pretty sure the previous workshop puts your Odometer reading on the invoice…Could use that to prove the car has only done around 1000km since it was there.

Any advice on what I could do? I feel like I could be flogging a dead horse…

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Futura_2nv

well thats absolutely shocking but its sad to say that its very common to go on these days, these fellas that rip us off at the time are probably thinking oh they'll never notice because these things werent the cause of the problem but honestly who knows what goes through their minds, trying to make a quick buck seems more likely.

but mate if i were you i'd confront the work shop that said all these were replaced maybe have a letter written out by the fella at the new workshop saying what he has found and what problems you have run into not replacing these parts showing clear evidence that the parts they said they replaced were not and further action will be taken if said parts are not replaced including the damaged gear box and what not. because they have an obligation to up hold and especially with a 12 month guarantee they will have to replace the parts free of charge and since they didnt in the first place which caused more damage i think your well within your rights to i wouldnt say demand that they pay for the other damage caused but its well worth a shot because they did the dirty on you and i'm sure they wouldnt want a bad rep for their business.

but all in all you never know whats gonna happen until you try so i'd say its well worth a shot.

As i live very close to cairns myself i'd be interested in knowing what workshop this is so i dnt make the same mistake and take my car to them
Futura_2nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
jcxr
Tribal Elder

The initial ripoff merchant will just knock you back because you didnt give him the option of looking at the repairs required. How is he to know that your man isnt stooging him? Its a hard world out there.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, you need to get something in writing from yourself and the new mechanic. It shows you mean business. threathen legal action if your claim is not delt with.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
cjf
GT Hardcore

Firstly contact Qld Fair trading department and check out your legal standing on the matter, get a reference number from them as well ,then when you have all the facts.
Contact the previous workshop and explain the failure and see if they will cover you under warranty, do this in a polite manner, it doesn't do you any favours to go in all guns blazing and making threats.
If they refuse to remedy the faults then explain the advice that fair trade have given to you and that you will be forced to proceed further with a complaint also explain that they have a legal responsibilty to deliver the service/repair that you have paid for.
Most motor traders will remedy there mistakes as they risk losing their trading licence if a complaint lodged/proven.
Goodluck with it.
BPR CAI , PACEMAKERS 4-1, BALLISTIC 100cell RACING CATS, CROW CAMS GTP,
K LINE , XFORCE ,PSI VALVE SPRINGS, MANLEY H BEAMS, SRP PISTONS & RINGS, ACL RACE BEARINGS MELLINGS BILLET OIL PUMP, POWERBOND UNDERDRIVES, TT1-160 THERMOSTAT.
cjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf
Firstly contact Qld Fair trading department and check out your legal standing on the matter, get a reference number from them as well ,then when you have all the facts.
Contact the previous workshop and explain the failure and see if they will cover you under warranty, do this in a polite manner, it doesn't do you any favours to go in all guns blazing and making threats.
If they refuse to remedy the faults then explain the advice that fair trade have given to you and that you will be forced to proceed further with a complaint also explain that they have a legal responsibilty to deliver the service/repair that you have paid for.
Most motor traders will remedy there mistakes as they risk losing their trading licence if a complaint lodged/proven.
Goodluck with it.
Thanks mate,

I think this may be the way to go.

If it was something small, I'd let it go, but this is costing me several thousand dollars.

Cheers

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf
Goodluck with it.
Very sound advice.
I'd make sure I contact the place that conducted the initial repairs and tell them of the failure. If it is still in the warranty period, then it shouln't be too hard to get reparations. If they refuse, then contact Fair Trading. I'd also tell Fair Trading that you believe the place you went to was fraudulent and deceptive and you have hesitation in taking the vehicle back to them; incase they may falsely claim something else not covered by their warranty is broken and they wish to charge to repair it to cover their costs.

Quote: