Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

Default Things to do in Tasmania for kids??

Hey everyone,

I am taking a couple of weeks off work soon with the kids, and I am beginning to plan what we are going to do. With the price of airfares from Melbourne to Tassie being so cheap, I thought I might surprise them by taking them on an airplane and perhaps heading over there. My plan would be to fly over early in the morning and return to Melbourne later in the day. My kids are 7 and 9 years old, so sight seeing stuff wouldn't interest them but any ideas of other things that young kids would like would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg.

The only FPV ever built in CONGO GREEN

SOLD

CURRENT 2012 Manual, leather, sat nav GT 335 in SWIFT GREEN

1 of only 6 manual Swift Green GT’s and 1 of only 21 Swift Green GT’s in total
GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Hmm tough as Tassie is more of a nature place, not like Surfers etc.

Depending on where you are going there are jet boat rides, do spins and things up rivers which is fun.

One of the best things I have done there was going quad biking along sand dunes on the NW coast, go right to the waters edge; but the kids might be a bit young, maybe they could hang on to the back?

There is an airwalk down south, a town called Richmond thats like Sovereign Hill I guess.

I guess a Cascade tour is out of the question..LOL
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Hi mate, got your note.

I agree with Polyal.

I hope your kids are into animals and nature, if they are, they would love some of our native animal parks.

if you flew into the South, there a few parks within a confortable days driving. The Devil park with it's raptor shows is cool I reckon, and from what Ive observed kids love it. They have the usual little hawks and stuff, but also the mighty Tasmanian Sea Eagle. That's some bird I goota say! it's freaken huge.

We've got all the usual native wild life, and some of the inetractive shows have the kids screaming for joy. They get to meet devils, Wombats, roos, possums, platypus quolls etc etc. Even the giant fresh water crayfish are damn impressive.

if your kids were excitied about seeing some of our cute and not so cute wildlife, I reckon they would have a fat time. If they are kids more interested in the Surfers them park stuff, maybe not such a wonderful idea.

I take your point on the sight seeing - kids get bored real quick!

You could do a lot worse than do a bruny Island high speed sightseeing cruise though - lots of seals, lots of birds, sometimes whales and the most rugged coastline you'll see anywhere in Aust. No exaggeration! Plus the RIBS are packing over 1000 hp. One of the has quad 350 V8 Yamahas.

Goodluck

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

Thanks for your help guys.

The only FPV ever built in CONGO GREEN

SOLD

CURRENT 2012 Manual, leather, sat nav GT 335 in SWIFT GREEN

1 of only 6 manual Swift Green GT’s and 1 of only 21 Swift Green GT’s in total
GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Flying over and back in 1 day doesn't leave much time to do much. It takes a lot longer to travel around here than you expect - don't go looking at the map and think you can cover 150km in an hour and a half!
Choose your city then pick what to do. If Launny, then heading into the gorge is a good way to take up a day. Penny Royal, chairlifts, walks, that's all you will get to do.

If Hobart - choose 1 of Port Arthur, Huon Airwalk (and maybe hastings caves), Mount Wellington and walks, or say perhaps Richmond village.

And bring warm clothes - they are predicting snow to 500m on Wednesday. I get to drive to uni through it every now and then
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
ltd
Force Fed Fords

There's a couple of zoo type things there for the kids, as well as the don railway, the franklin river cruises out of strahan, the nut; whole bunch of other stuff too. Mum and Dad though should definately go to the Tamar Valley, check out Josef Chromy, Bundaleera and Sharmans. Jansz is a waste of time and effort as their mass produced pinot is now bland and lacking in character, Tamar Ridge is always worthwhile. That's if you're into wine though. If not, I think there's a Boags factory tour.
My folks live there and absolutely love it.

Quote: