Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
Falconxr68

Default Door actuator....

hey, I know there's a mountain of threads on this but I just want a more precise answer. The rear left on my 02 AU3 XR6 is not locking so I believe i need to change the actuator, when I lock, there is a unusual sound coming from that door. I don't know how to change the actuator so if anybody can guide me or provide me with a link, OR if anybody knows how to change it in the northern suburbs I'm willing to pay for it to be changed.

Thanks...

Falconxr68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate

It's pretty simple really, I've done it recently on my BA as they suffer from the same thing. This is what sounds like has happened:

What you need to do is remove your door trim which will be held on by number of screws and also some behind door-skin clips whch will release gently when pulled at.

Next step once the trim is all off is to remove the actuator mechanism. You can do this by removing the screws holding around actual door latch (the one which goes onto the hook on your body work), unplug the actuator wire, door handle wire and the whole lot will lift out.

You have a couple of options after this, you can buy the replacement cog and dismantle the whole actuator and fix the internals yourself, or alternatively buy a whole new actuator and just swap it onto the latch.

Once replaced, fit and check to make sure the door works before putting the skin back on. Before closing the door (if a rear door) MAKE SURE CHILD LOCK IS NOT ON! If it is on and your actuator hasn't worked for some reason you will not be able to open your door without a lot of hassle. If all working, reassemble.

It took me around 1.5 hours first time I did it (wanted to make sure I didn't break anything...), and was pretty straight forward to work out how to pull the door skin off - just give a bit of care and don't just pull at things

-Gav

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
Falconxr68

Thanks a lot for your reply, Ive taken the door trim off right until the foamy material underneath. Its quite difficult to get to the actuator and I'm not sure if i can take anything else off? any photos of previous jobs or a detailed description will be greatly appreciated
Old 28-06-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately I didn't get any photos, with the foam liner, it should peel away from the door itself (just peel what you need). It should reveal the cavity which you can put your hand into and pull out the actuator and latch once unscrewed.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

Info to come soon!
Old 28-06-2010, 02:20 AM   #5
Falconxr68

okay so from what i have understood, i have to get the actuator out that small area where i can fit my hand? nothing else comes off right?
Old 28-06-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep thats correct, it comes out from there - it can sometimes be a little fiddly.

Once unscrewed from the door itself, as mentioned it will have a a wiring loom plugged into it (just unclips) and also the handle wire thing which goes to the external door handle, this should just unclip as well.

See if you can shine a light into the cavity and have a bit of a look in there, will make a heap more sense once you see it! Just a little hard to get my camera in there to get photos

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE

Info to come soon!
Old 28-06-2010, 02:29 AM   #7
Falconxr68

ok thank you for your help, ill have a look at it tomorrow in daylight and let you know how it goes

Regards
Old 01-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Falconxr68

hey guys, had a go at taking the actuator out but its a little tricky. Firstly, I understand how to do it but I've had trouble unplugging the wire loom as i cant see it and i dont want to snap or break anything, also, when i purchased the new actuator, ford gave me an extra loom, like a connector and i dont know what its for as there isnt one on the old actuator...

Also, the screws that hold the actuator are on the outside of the door right, next to the child lock, (three star shaped ones)?

Its my first time so im taking my time, ill be waiting for some guidance so a reply ASAP would be appreciated!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
Falconxr68

anybody...
Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
Falconxr68

nevermind job done! thanks for all the help
Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great to hear mate! Sorry I wasn't around to give you some tips on that wire, it's a real pain to get out!

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE

Info to come soon!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
Falconxr68

nah your right, yea it is a pain!!
Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Buy a reco kit off ebay. Cheaper than replacing, easy to do and they come with photographic detailed instructions.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

That extra wire is so it can fit a BA or BF, maybe even AU??

They improved the plastic cog part in the pictures above so now there is one actuator but different wiring plugs so they just give you an adapter
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #15
Falconxr68

Yea thats probably right, i had a look at the old actuator and like many forum members suggested, the white plastic worming gear had snapped in half....