Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
elgreko

Default Recall all TDCI focus???

Hi all there was a nation wide recall of all TDCI focus in today's Herald/Sun paper in melb. Something about a heat shield issue and cars had to be returned to the dealer asap. Anyone know anything about it??

elgreko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/986403

Product description
Certain Ford Focus TDCi models fitted with a Diesel engine and built from march 28, 2007 to August 17, 2009 inclusive.
Identifying features
Target Number: 2891
Campaign Number: S1001
What are the hazards?
Non-fitment of an exhaust heat shield could result in heat related durability issues.
What are the defects?
There may be some Focus TDCi vehicles equipped with the DW10 (Diesel) engine that may not have had an exhaust heat shield fitted.

What should consumers do?
Ford will write to owners of affected vehicles at their last known address. For further information, contact any authorised Ford Dealer or Ford's Customer Relationship Centre on 1800 503 672.
Old 29-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
elgreko

Smile

Thanks mate!! Ps I have a 65 mustang fastback
elgreko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

anyone know the part that is missing and can take a pic?
i want to have a look myself if its there or not before i ring these muppets
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257730000D5E9A
Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 AM   #6
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreko
Thanks mate!! Ps I have a 65 mustang fastback
pic? details??
Old 07-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
Turbodiesel
Torquer

It's quite easy to check yourself, the heat shield is very easy to spot. Looks like silver foil. Bugger booking in the car just for that.

I can get a pic if anyone is interested.
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
~Spyne~

pic please?
Old 14-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

pic please.. my car doesnt have one.. checked with the dealer, its on order.
Old 14-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have not got a letter from Ford yet so I would also appreciate a picture then I can check for myself before bothering the dealer.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I'm not going to bother wasting time with Ford, this is most definitely a heat shield. It's around the fuel tank as described and goes all the way along the exhaust pipe.

Pic attached:

Old 17-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate
knowing how those yaapies in South africa work ''building'' these focuses dont be so sure they did it correctly.
My TDCI goes into Q Ford Bris on Monday.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the issue that without the heat shield the plastic diesel tank fails from the exhaust heat?
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #14
~Spyne~

i went by my local dealer today and asked them to take a look and tell me if i do/don't have one.
their reply: "you need to book it in for 1-3hrs for us to look at it. if we find you don't have one installed, we need to order the part in and then you have to book the car again a second time have it fitted."

yeah right buddy.
Old 17-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #15
Turbodiesel
Torquer

If your car looks like the photo then it's fine, normal petrol Focuses are exactly the same, I've checked.

Surely if your car was missing one the mechanic would notice during a service...
Old 21-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #16
focusfumes
Starter Motor

Default Can't Recall good customer service ?

I also went to my dealer and booked the car in a week before for to get it checked. I said while your at it could you rotate the wheels for me ? ... 2.5 hours later ... they rotated the wheels (the cheeky gits) and said YES you need a heat shield fitted but we don't have the part in stock you will have to make another booking and come back and it will take a further 2-3 hours to fit ! Your bloody joking! No phone call to say that they didn't have the part (which the would have seen the first second the car was on the hoist) and no offer of a courtesy car for the inconvenience x 2 ... They (not naming any names "BRIGHTON FORD") had me standing around for a further 30 mins waiting for someone to take responsibility. I was then hand-balled from Services -> Spare Parts -> General Manager (but I'm not the manager scenario) -> to the Service Manager who firmly made it my problem not his what the? ... Time = Money FORD, you have your name all over these dealerships yet will not take responsibility for their actions VERY POOR PERFORMANCE FORD ... My advice to those with the recall is to drop by unexpected (when it's convenient for you) and get them to check there and then and tell you straight away whether you need/don't need the heat shield ... it's not rocket science ... then proceed with just the one booking ... and as for customer service head office in Melbourne ... don't even bother to go there they couldn't care less about how much it is a inconvenience to you, nor do they seem to care how their dealers operate or behave ... they wouldn't even flip the bill for a courtesy car after the first episode, a measly $35 on a $28,000 car ... I own a ford not a Ferrari, I have to work for living ... great car BAD company.
focusfumes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
~Spyne~

the Ford i go to (Eclipse Ford, Ballarat) have never once offered me a courtesy car, and when i have asked about one, they said only if i pay the standard fee (and this was on a warranty issue that lasted 4 days!!)

and as i said above, i called into mine unexpectedly thinking someone would happily take the FIVE SECONDS to look under my car and let me know if i needed to book in and have the heat shield fitted...nope, they said i HAD to book it in for at least ONE HOUR in order for them to check.
Old 21-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #18
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi
Took my car to Q Ford Beenleigh (Bris) had booked it in 2.5 weeks ago and took the day off.
I had checked -it did have a heat shield.
But they had it for half an hour-said all it would take - and I was told it needs another piece of heat shield in one spot --he has 3 TDCIs in this boat---the piece is on ''back order'' with Ford.

So he will ring when he gets it in and I will go back there.
A little annoying but I needed a day off-first this year.

CAUTION-if you have checked underneath and seen a heat shield as I did make sure you still tkae it in as probably the piece is missing.

Ya gotta love Fraud sorry Ford.
Old 27-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #19
Turbodiesel
Torquer

There are about three sections of heat shield I think, if anyone is able to get a photo of what the car looks like without the heat shield that may be useful.

This is what I've read on a couple of sites:

"For the second time in under a month, American manufacturer Ford announced it is recalling some of its Australian models due to a missing heat shield protecting the fuel tank."

So that may mean it only affects the rear section, but I'm not sure how accurate that statement is.

Kevino, whereabouts did you check underneath yourself?
Old 27-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #20
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lay down underneath the back of the car-heat shield seemed to enclose the exhaust all the way.
Still waiting for Q Ford Beenleigh to call me and say they have the missing piece to put on-on ''back order''.
Old 27-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #21
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

ive been waiting over 2 weeks now and still no call. I'll probably ring them this week to see whats up
Old 28-06-2010, 01:36 AM   #22
irs

I have been waiting three weeks for the part to arrive. Obviously Ford didn't have any in Australia.
irs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #23
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
Lay down underneath the back of the car-heat shield seemed to enclose the exhaust all the way.
Still waiting for Q Ford Beenleigh to call me and say they have the missing piece to put on-on ''back order''.

It appears you are correct, I took my car in today to Harrigan Ford after reading your post.

They said they added a small piece behind the fuel tank to stop the exhaust heating up the fuel tank. The parts were in stock so they fixed it all up in under 2 hours. Very good service.

I'd say every car is missing this piece by the sounds of it so everyone better book it in.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #24
NO2
Old Man

Got my heat shield done on Mon 5/7 at Pacific Ford sunshine coast, told them I had other things to do and got it booked in for 8.am and left at 8.30. Haven't checked to see what was actually put on. But at least that dealer is able work with the customer to deliver service to the customers needs.
I was told the problem is heat is directed to subframe and will remove paint and cause rust without the heat shield.
NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post