Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #31
xespac

Yeah I wouldn't have problem with petrol money, but extra cents does end up being a big part of lost money in the long run...lucky they dumped the idea!

I don't smoke, I don't buy alcohol(but will drink it if it's free :P), I don't gamble, an I don't buy tattslotto... so I think i'm safe for now.
xespac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #32
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone seems to forgot a rise in petrol means dearer products and services. It just doesn't hit you @ the pump. It hits you at the cashier also. My grocery bills already up $60-$80. So now on top of spending stupid amounts of money so I can visit a friend and go to work. I have extra added costs to my food. That extra 30cpl eats into everyones budget.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #33
CruizinEB
Banned

thats right mate it affects everyone:(
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #34
Matto_84
97 EL Futura 5 speed

What a load of crap. 1 cent a litre, for what? they are already getting more and more tax money with the surging petrol prices through the GST tax added on top of the excise. First Johnny lessons the income tax but then later swipes it back on petrol tax with a profit. What a friggen rip off howard.

Im glad they have dumped the idea. And that they woke up to reality.

Still I will never vote for howard.. I hate him with all passion!!
Matto_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 07:14 PM   #35
xespac

Yeah guess a new leader to run our country might lower the prices a little, but doubt it.

Well, I don't hate johnny howard...but when I vote again i'm not voting for him - maybe the tables will turn!
xespac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 08:12 PM   #36
Kryton

this isnt happening any more.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 08:20 PM   #37
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ill probably catch the train to class now save wednesdays .. no point using up all that petrol for just 90min of class..
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 08:20 PM   #38
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
Yes i heard the same thing. It will be a 1c raise to help fund the petrol company in making cleaner fuels :
Another stupid decission made by the fedrel govenment. Have they heard od Ethonol or methonol. They are 2 off the cleanest renable fuels that can be made right hear in Australia. Giving the oil companys money to make cleaner fuel, what a bloody joke. The oil companys already no how to make a cleaner fuel, they been making fuel for the hole wold for how long now.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 08:24 PM   #39
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Everyone seems to forgot a rise in petrol means dearer products and services. It just doesn't hit you @ the pump. It hits you at the cashier also. My grocery bills already up $60-$80. So now on top of spending stupid amounts of money so I can visit a friend and go to work. I have extra added costs to my food. That extra 30cpl eats into everyones budget.
And remember when the pice off good and services go up in cost, little Johny will be rubbing his hand together, because he will be getting a bigger kick back from the GST...

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 08:53 PM   #40
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I honesty believe NO state or federal govt currently gives a toss about fuel prices. Anyone with any influence get govt car, allowance or whatever. None of them are car enthusiasts. They will only care when it really starts to hit the economy .. and that will be a death by a thousand cuts.

I live a regional area and people here don't really have a public transport option ... you drive or you stay at home. Now that driving is getting expensive people are starting to "think" about how they drive (fair enough) .. but that will start to hurt regional economies.

Despite a "little" whinging we have sucked-up $1.35/L and not a huge backlash (unlike when fuel first went over $1/L) .. so the govt and fuel companies know how far they can push us .. and looks like we've still got a bit more pushing left?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 08:58 PM   #41
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Despite a "little" whinging we have sucked-up $1.35/L and not a huge backlash (unlike when fuel first went over $1/L) .. so the govt and fuel companies know how far they can push us .. and looks like we've still got a bit more pushing left?
Spot on... how many of those whinging about fuel prices have written to their local MP in regards to this... Not many. Compliants to official channels get the most attention. Random comments to newspapers or radio stations don't mean a great deal as it is mostly put down as people letting off steam.
Old 20-09-2005, 10:39 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The worst part is that little Johhny will use this as a political stunt, trying to tell everyone he's the working mans best friend, that he'll do whatever it takes to make it easier on struggling families etc. cause he will ditch the 0.6 cent per litre excise. He will then fail to mention that they are making millions of dollars extra GST cause the price of petrol is so high, so it won't cost them a cent. Sneaky little bastard.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #43
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Any chance we can keep the political preferences from the thread? Seems like a good discussion and would be a shame to have it locked because people need to tell us *again* how much they hate John Howard....

And im not sure how many times it needs to be stated but the GST windfall does not get spent from the federal budget.

There is some merit to encouraging oil companies to develop cleaner fuels. All you have to do is look at where such spending has already been directed - the refineries. Money spent here not only improves the quality of the fuel going into our tanks but makes for a cleaner process and less that needs to be disposed of.

Biofuels are a joke. For every unit of energy they produce, they consume approximately 6 units of fossil fuel energy. Unless you're volunteering to plant that crop by hand? And harvest it by hand? And not fertilise it? You'll need to take care of about 11 acres of biofuel input for 12 months worth of driving (15,000km).

You're putting forward what is currently an unworkable solution and saying it's the oil companies/government's responsibility to make it work? How so? Why dont YOU make it work - it's just as much your responsibility. But no, it's easier to jump on an internet forum and about the GST isnt it....
Old 21-09-2005, 10:23 AM   #44
parawolf
beep beep

On the matter of 'encouraging' petrol/oil companies to produce cleaner fuels, why do only have a 'maximum' octane fuel of 98? What is stopping us from getting 100octane fuel or even 120? I'm not talking about whatever LPG might be, or avgas, or ELF race fuel. What is stopping me from being provided with say 105octane fuel at my local BP or Shell?

Is it not required? Almost the entire advertising campaign of BP Ultimate (98) and Shell Optimax (98) is that they are a cleaner burning fuel than the lower octane supplies. So wouldn't 105 octane fuel be even cleaner again? Is the energy input into making 105 octane fuel just not worth it? I'm not caring about my engine not 'requiring it' but where is the issue?

Engine companies could develop higher compression smaller engines with turbo's for great torque and power outputs while being 'clean'. Or the larger engines could again have really high compression (11.5? 12:1?) and be safe from pinging?

Why do we in Australia have 'high sulfur' diesel and have had for years when Europe does not? Why do we get this 'crap' product?