Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #31
tickfrd6

See the problem is that the red shoes onto some of the numbers. I might have to re arrange the LEDs to try get it right.

Do you have the standard lights in your dash at the moment?

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
tickfrd6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #32
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfrd6
let me know what you think.
When I did mine I used these http://tinyurl.com/37sehaj.

Each "leg" of each light is adjustable in or out. That, in combination with painting the tips white (I used whiteout) presents a much less "spotty" look - the blue is much more uniform across the cluster.

With regard to the red numbers you might try painting the tips + the side of the nearest leds so that the light is more diffused. I don't know whether it will work or not but it's not a hard thing to try.

I fiddled around with mine quite a bit before I was happy with the effect.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #33
tickfrd6

If i put a thin layer of blue paint on the numbers would it work. i know most likely it wont but hey it just might otherwise ill dab a bit of the blue paint on the led. I've got all day tomorrow to fiddle with it so might as well see what i can do.

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 15-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #34
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What you want to achieve is a diffused (spread out) light, not a concentrated beam (which is what causes the bright spots).

Painting the tops of the led will help to achieve that. I wouldn't attempt to paint the numbers... without any shadow of doubt it will end in tears.

If you've had the cluster out it won't be such a prob for you to grab an AU1 cluster or an earlier one with white needles and swap the needles over. Then all you have to do is get your blue lights working more evenly and bingo, the jobs done.
Old 15-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #35
tickfrd6

hmmm good point. I have also heard that if you sand the top of the LEDs just a bit it will diffuse the lights as well. The thing is I've tried to take the needles off but i just cant. Is there a special way of doing it? and also can you buy the S1 needles still?

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 15-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #36
ronwest

I haven't tried sanding but believe me a bit of whiteout has to be quicker and easier than that ;)

I used a fork to get the needles off - put something between the fork and the gauge face to protect it - it feels as though it's never going to release and then..... off it comes. Once you've gotten one off it ain't so bad.

Don't know about buying individual needles. I thought of contacting VDO for assistance but never got around to it. I think I'll be running with white needles off an earlier cluster.
Old 15-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #37
tickfrd6

ohh the whiteout sounds like a good idea. Ill do it tomorrow and then post up pics showing the difference. Do i only do it to the blue LED's?

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 15-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #38
sleeper393

Talking

JUST GET WIDE ANGLE LED'S , THEY HAVE FLAT TOPS AND WORK A TREAT.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/10-x-T5-286-W...item19bc90e77c
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #39
ronwest

Quote:
ohh the whiteout sounds like a good idea. Ill do it tomorrow and then post up pics showing the difference. Do i only do it to the blue LED's?
Try it on either and then on both. It comes off easily. To make it easier, all I did was to put a towel where the cluster sits (so as not to damage the dash) and just sat it there and connected the plugs for each trial run.

As I said, I fiddled with mine quite a bit. I tried various leds and found that the three legged ones with tips painted worked the best for me.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #40
sleeper393

Quote:
Hey I took out my cluster to swap the white lights to blue LEDs and I'm having trouble making the LEDs stay in the little holder. Do they just slide in or am I doing something wrong? Also do I need to add a resistor to the LEDs?

Thanks
Here are my cluster led's . in my t series cluster & ignition light
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 AM   #41
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Looks good - you need to pull your speedo and tacho needles off and set them on zero (PITA job though!).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2010, 01:17 AM   #42
sleeper393

yeah i got a little i enthusiastic , if thats how its spelt
i like the t series cluster as the numbers are already blue , meaning you can run white led's , and still have a nice clear red needle , keeping the whollopers happy.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #43
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Looks good - you need to pull your speedo and tacho needles off and set them on zero (PITA job though!).
I picked up an EL (I think) cluster (white needles) on the weekend. What's the story with zeroing the needles on the oil, water etc gauges? Do they have to be "wound back" to give a little resistance... or something like that...

Nice job sleeper. You can get rid of the "hot" spots if you persevere but I think that yours would be hardly noticeable in car. Always look worse in pics.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #44
ronwest

Ignore the query ^^

Getting the EL needles off indicates a slight pre-tension.

Also fwiw the EL needles are 6 - 8mm shorter.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #45
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Ignore the query ^^

Getting the EL needles off indicates a slight pre-tension.

Also fwiw the EL needles are 6 - 8mm shorter.
Ah, yes, should have mentioned that (sorry!). They'll still point roughly to what you want them to (I knew there was a reason the AU1 needles were preferred!).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #46
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Ah, yes, should have mentioned that (sorry!). They'll still point roughly to what you want them to (I knew there was a reason the AU1 needles were preferred!).
They'll come close. If not close enough I'll drive a six inch nail into the end of them...

Oil, temp etc look to be the same length.
Old 15-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #47
atomiclord
I drive way too much...

How many LED's are required to change from incandescent to LED?

Not sure about the LPG cluster so it would prob look better with a white face and white LEDs using this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-A...ts_Accessories

EDIT: To clarify, the cluster in the EGAS forte model is the same as fortes, just with 'LPG' appearing on the digital readout.
atomiclord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #48
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiclord

Not sure about the LPG cluster so it would prob look better with a white face and white LEDs using this:

EDIT: To clarify, the cluster in the EGAS forte model is the same as fortes, just with 'LPG' appearing on the digital readout.
11 BULBS I THINK .
Old 15-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #49
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper393
11 BULBS I THINK .
ah not quite, 7 for a Fairmont or High series cluster (includes XR) I think it is 6 for a base model
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #50
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiclord