Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
Travisty FTT
'06 Ford Territory Turbo

Default What is better?

Hey guys, just wondering what is better in terms of performance: A K&N Pod Filter or a K&N Flat Filter -- what would require less care? Cheers.

Travisty FTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pod filter will suck in more heat if its left unexposed to the heat,
So thats why every one either makes there own air box or does the same thing with the air box lid by removing that restrictor, putting the 3 inch pipe through and fitting the pod filter up in side the lid,

Panal filter, just replaces the standerd filter and no other mods are required unless you plan to do a 3 inch intake from the throttle body, In which you will have to remove that plastic restrictor on the air block lid to be able to snuggly fit the 3 inch pipe in there,

Lot of people get that blue silicone hose, and try and fit it in the hole then shove the 3 inch pipe through

Panal filter, the k,n ones goes for at least over 50,000 or more, all you need to so is to reoil them, when u go to wash it out, there spouse to last for ever

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
james22
With da Warlords

Pod filter has more surface area, therefore will pull more air, but the difference between the two on a std setup would be negligible. Perhaps a louder induction noise

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Have a look at an Airhog oiled filter, same performance as a K&N at 2/3rds' the price. I paid $36 each for mine on special at Supercheap Auto and just use the K&N recharge pack when they need cleaning.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I run an airhog panel in the TE with no complaints. Wether it makes any difference I really don't know but
I too paid under $40 for it on special so who cares as long as it isnt worse than standard.
I have a pod setup within the Ghia with a couple of extra holes in the airbox and 3" to the throttle body
and the car seems to love it.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

Id wash each one at each service, forget leaving them for 50 000km between washing and reoiling. Go for a max of 10000km between cleaning.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
urbancowboy

I think what was meant was that with regular cleaning done every 10k you will get atleast 50k before any wear becomes an issue.

As for other brands claiming they are as good as K&N, i doubt it very much. They might flow as well as a K7N but do they "filter" as well as a K&N?
****el's drive Rotaries, Four in-line is a waste of time, Six in-a-row just won't go, If you really want something great, drive a great big Ford V8! God made Holden's to keep w*****'s out of Ford's, and yes I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

No, you wont get wear on a KandN filter. They are warrantied for 1.6million kilometers. And they say to clean them every 50 000km, which was the fact that was being alluded to.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy

As for other brands claiming they are as good as K&N, i doubt it very much. They might flow as well as a K7N but do they "filter" as well as a K&N?
Tell you what, you hold a new K&N and a new Fram Airhog panel filter up to the light and see which one lets the most light through then decide which one filters better.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
Day-mow
rexnet

What type of pods are used? Short and fat? Model numbers would b sic

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Tell you what, you hold a new K&N and a new Fram Airhog panel filter up to the light and see which one lets the most light through then decide which one filters better.

Bushbasher
Did this very thing comparing the FRAM Airhog to a K&N filter after researching their filtration rating (both 97% plus under ISO 5011 Coarst Dust Test) - I bought the FRAM Airhog; buying at 1/3 the price of the K&N was just a bonus
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
What type of pods are used? Short and fat? Model numbers would b sic
I use a KandN Xstream pod. With the front of the airbox cut out, and this thing with the reverse pod kind of thing happening, seemed to work well.
Old 13-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I use a KandN Xstream pod. With the front of the airbox cut out, and this thing with the reverse pod kind of thing happening, seemed to work well.
is that aRX-3900-1

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 13-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #14
The Monty
Just slidin'

I have no idea, just go to ebay, and type in Xstream.
Old 13-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
Day-mow
rexnet

yep thats the one im thinkin of getting. or a RR-3003