Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

Default au1 overdrive issue?

hey guys, for the past few weeks my au seems to be revving a bit high on the road. when i drive up a hill and it kicks down it revs to 1800-1900 revs which is fine, whats bothering me is when i get over the hill, and the roads nice and flat i take my foot off to bring the revs down or for it to change into 4th again the revs pick up at 1800-1900. on other occasions the revs pick up at 1500 which it usually sits at. sometimes to get it to 90kms from around 85kms it does the same thing which seems really strange for it to kick down just to gain 5km/h more details: it isnt forced kickdown it's the cars natural kickdown.
: im a p plater so i dont know if it does it above 90km/h
: the transmission is in full power mode ( economy button off)
is this normal? i read in a similar post that it could be a solenoid or some sort of overdrive lock? any helps appreciated, cheers,josh.

hendoau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Econ mod off, cause it to rev out longer in the gears,

Econ mode on, causes the converter to lock up much earlier, use this mode when on the high way etc,

Either the solinoids on the side of the box is playing up, or the torque converter isnt working properly or locking up

To get to the solinoid for the converter lock up is a gear box out job, the other solinoids are done with the transmisson still in the car,

Best to take it to a gear box place and get them to test the operation of the box

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

so there is a genuine issue here? can i drive it the way it is without risking further damage to the box? i have no idea when the box was last serviced so i'm thinking of getting it serviced. would this help? i live down a really muddy dirt road and when i put my sump guard on last weekend, i noticed theres a lot of mud everywhere but there is a fair bit around the transmission and the electrics off the passenger side of the box. ill get under there clean it and see if it makes a difference.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe pull the connectors out from the gear box and give the contacts a good clean, also get the service done as well

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if last service is unknown getting it done might be money well spent imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

im gunna get it seviced january next year, after rego. (money's tight). and it didnt play up at all today. the connectors would be the white blocks on the passenger side of the gearbox? and will disconnecting them make it the gearbox run rough? like, does it have to re learn all it's changing times? that happened when we disconnected the battery to charge it for a few days in dad's el. took 2 days for it to change smoothly and at the right times.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Changing the fluid makes a HUGE difference if its getting old. Could fix the problem completely. Waiting till january is too long if the fluid is old, hot days coming (hot fluid) will make it worse.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post