Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2005, 11:44 AM   #1
efgiar
rofl copter

Default buying an ef thats been writen off before... VIV?

hey i getting an ef fairmont ghia, apparently it has been writen off before in the ACT then registered in NSW. im in vic and because at the time of the write off ACT wasnt in the vic roads system yet they can not prove that it has had a VIV on it before. so. my question is should i buy it still, or get the viv and get it taken off the buying price, and what is the price on a VIV does anybody know?

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
efgiar
rofl copter

anybody know the price?

thats all
Old 06-10-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
EFFalcon
Last warning

i think its about $300
why not contact Vicroads and ask them?
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
niko
likes falcon's

330 inc gst
Old 06-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #5
niko
likes falcon's

u only need it if it is written off at the current point in time, if was written off ages ago and has been registered since then u shouldnt need one?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #6
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
u only need it if it is written off at the current point in time, if was written off ages ago and has been registered since then u shouldnt need one?
thats my understanding too.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
efgiar
rofl copter

well vic roads have told me if the car is changing ownership, even if it is registered, u need a viv...

thats all
Old 06-10-2005, 03:40 PM   #8
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302fairlane
well vic roads have told me if the car is changing ownership, even if it is registered, u need a viv...
only if it has never had a VIV before. how long ago was it repaired?
Old 06-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
efgiar
rofl copter

well it was writen off 10/04 but in the ACT and the ACT wasnt in the vicroads system untill recently, and they cant, nor i can prove it has had a viv before, but it would have had to, to get regod again?

thats all
Old 06-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #10
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko

You're right you shouldn't need one, but you probably will.

This will come up in my next editorial in the mag but i'll give you guys a brief run down.

A mate of mine just purchased a EL Falcon at auction in ACT and the car had 3 month ACT rego left on it. He bought it in the general vehicle section and it was pretty nice (EL futura, with cruise, PW, air, CD, and 17-inch Ford alloys). Trouble is he lives in NSW and when they went to transfer the rego the RTA said "nup it's a written off vehicle, you'll have to get it reinspected".

So they got it checked out again (a second blue slip inspection) but the damage report didn't tally up to the car so they got referred to the police. You could imagine that they were pretty worried they might lose the car but the police gave it a clean bill of health and the WOVR report has now been cleared. It took a alot of stuffing around though and the car showed up clean in the ACT and QLD but it was on the WOVR in NSW and that's all that mattered because that's where they wanted to rego it.

If you're buying a written off vehicle and you intend to rerego it then be aware that you will have to jump through extra hoops. Being cleared in one state doesn't mean it's cleared in another state.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 07:26 PM   #11
niko
likes falcon's

its all a load of , cheers to every fk face that uses stolen parts. makes it harder for the honest and most public motorists to register a cheap bomb, and in some cases really nice cars! :(
Old 06-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #12
efgiar
rofl copter

yeah well it did pass a viv (would of HAD TO) to transfer from ACT to NSW and the job looks AOK, vic roads confirm that it isnt stolen or anything and the motor and body numbers match, just try and get ahold of the VIV people, its a , "leave a messege and well get back to you" pigs *** they do :(

thats all
Old 07-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #13
efgiar
rofl copter

ok the VIV is booked in and is giong to cost me 330, and then the petrol to get there! fair big drive :P but oh well, im stressing whether or not it will pass a viv! i hope it does if it doesnt i will cry! lol not really ill just have to sell it in parts or *try* get a refund... but i better get it because it is a really nice car.

thats all
Old 07-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #14
Kryton

let me know what they do/look for as we are going for a VIV soon as well.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:43 PM   #15
efgiar
rofl copter

well i asked the guy on the phone and basicly they just look at the quality of the job (if it has been a repaired write off) and see if it matches up with the car makers requirements ect and they also check if its the same car as it was before it was writen off, eg no stolen parts etc, he said somthing about a chip or a device that they scan or somcrap?

thats all