Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #31
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Holiday Road Trip Report ......

This is like reading a Wilbur Smith adventure, only with pictures - keep it coming (please)!!!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by Auslandau; 25-05-2011 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Yes but Sean Courtney did it a little bit tougher than us :)
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #32
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i have seen a couple of those polaris buggies on a farm near here. with out the gun holders.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #33
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dave,what a great adventure(good to put a face to the name too) dont you just hate blue sky day in day out.
Love that buggy imagine pulling the covers off the gun racks in peak hour after just being cut off by some dimwit on the freeway.

Keep it coming mate slowly so we can savour it.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #34
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Left Elephant sands ... record was 3 elephants for the night and 1 family of Kudu's so was a relatively quiet but exciting night. Millions of small bats kept us watching and also the few billion stars ..... nothing like being out the back of woop woop and seeing a sheet of white above your head.

We headed north again and did the next 300 odd k's at a leisurely, bone rattling and nervous pace .... which took nearly 6 hours.

Stopped 1/2 way to get the clothes washing happening. Enclosed bin, some water, some washing power, the clothes, back into storage and let the pot holes do the rest. Works a treat and have done that for years.

Note: I think storms were brewing ...... saw a cloud or 2

Again the road got a little rough .... very sandy.

Arrived at Senyati (about 20k's sth of Zambia & 10k's west of Zimbabwe) with a small welcoming party .... an elephant in camp! Again the cameras came out, I was trying to set up camp and the other 1/2 was more interested in other things.

Again ..... not the holiday season and had the place to ourselves. The quietness was overwhelming ..... except the noise of a thirsty loan elephant

Followed by another .....

So we moved into the bar area ..... made ourselves some drinks (Full bar with honesty system )

And then others started to move in ...... This one was a regular. An old bull with only 1 tusk and very big and a bit pushy. The thing that is amazing is how quiet they are when they come in and sometimes you cannot even see them till they are nearly there. They blend into the surroundings so well always coming in from one direction and leaving in the opposite. As the evening came on .... so did more and more come in. The most we 'sort of' counted was 40 odd in 1 group but was dark by then so didn't get any pics. There was a large spot light so we could keep watching though. They would all drink quietly and happily but would only take 1 to get cranky about something then the trumpeting and growling was astonishingly loud.

Then they rolled in at a steady pace ..... the young ones were great to watch. They ran flat out to keep up to the slow pace of the big ones while there trunks were all over the place making all sorts of snuffling and baby trumpet sounds. Was great to watch and we sat for hours .....

The thing that gave you goose bumps was how close you were, there were no fences and every now and again an elephant would go for a wander just a bit too close. They would come up and put their trunks out giving you a sniff while we were in the bar. You didn't want to get too close though but was near impossible to stop yourself from going up to one and giving one a pat.

For dinner that night we boiled the kettle and had 2 minute noodles and instant soup. No one wanted to go and start the fire or be bothered doing anything of note.

The owner came up for a drink or 3 ... an old Afrikaans who also had a few stories. Every now and again he disappeared to make sure elephants weren't destroying things in camp, grumbled to his help, barked some orders for more fire wood to be fetched for us and all in all we had a really enjoyable night

That night we could here the elephants which was a great way to finish the day even though it was late .... then around 2.00am a lion that seemed to be sitting on the tow bar of the caravan decided to give us a piece of its mind. Bloody hell! If you ever get to hear this sound .... it is the loudest most spine chilling sound ..... 20 to 30 seconds of a very loud deep dog like bark which finishes into the traditional lion roar .... enough to make you sit up and say ****!

Next day we were up early ...... quickly made some breakfast and then sat and watched a few more early morning elephants come through camp before we got ready to spend a day at Chobe National Park .....

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 27-05-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #35
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

What a great read. Sounds like a fantastic holiday.

Did Sharleen get to see a lion?

Please keep posting more of your adventures. The photos are beautiful.

I love reading about other peoples overseas trips. Nothing like going overseas on a good holiday.

Last edited by Auslandau; 27-05-2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Yes we did .... and played with some more tame ones to but thats another story :)
Geez Louise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #36
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Dave - this is addictive! I want more! Just loving it and I never ever considered Africa worthy of a trip and a bit burnt out with travel, after living all over the world most of my life. Your stories have me excited about doing something like this - it looks very romantic in all aspects.

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.

Last edited by Auslandau; 27-05-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: You and RW would have a wonderful time I am sure .... especially for the animals .... was overload from here on :)
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #37
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Next day we left for a trip through Chobe National Park which is on the Chobe river (Border of Zambia and Botswana) about 15 minutes from Kasane. Grabbed some bits for lunch at the supermarket, filled the car up with deisel with warthogs running around my feet ..... so ugly their cute!

Coming into Kasane there was a group of elephants walking down the main road ..... getting used to them now but still one hell of a surprise to see them so close to town but was getting used to how things are. When they hear the car .... with tails in the air they can run faster than I imagined!

Roads through the area was typical of all other roads we have traveled on .... sandy! First time though we actually had to put it into 4X4. Bit disconcerting with the amount of wild life floating about but it if we did mange to get stuck I had already decided it was the Mrs's job to push!

Because it was at the end of the wet season the rivers were very full! A few times the GPS was saying "Proceed 200 metres and turn right" Right my ****!

As far as animals go ...... it was animal over load. Just a few pics of what was on offer.

If you sit for a few minutes watching ..... animals come and go at a steady pace. The variety was huge! Was just sitting looking over the water and saw the buffalo above ...... then was joined by a few others

Only had 1 fright ..... a lone bull elephant didn't like us staring and decided to make a little show of force ...... he won by the way and we decided to go another way.

Side of the road ....

Have just a few more (100 odd) shots but I am sure you all have the idea. Was just an amazing place with animals everywhere. Just amazing. We spent 7 hours driving and sitting but had to get back to camp as it is not a good idea to drive around at night or you could add an Impala as a hood ornament very easily

When we got back to Senyati we cooked a Braai using the 1 kilo of Botswana Eye Fillet we bought for the total sum of $4.70. Sat and watched the elephants again till when ever and then hit the sack as the next day we were off to Zimbabwe to visit Victoria Falls.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #38
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Those hippo photos are just amazing! Do you have anymore pics of them?

I love hippos! I would go there just to see them. I can not believe how many animals you got to see. Lucky trip by the sounds of it

Last edited by Auslandau; 27-05-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Yes but most are of them in the water .... they only come out at night! Will put more up soon
Old 27-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #39
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for sharing Dave,this is just amazing with the animals. Did you get any shots of the locals just going about the daily routines?

2000 AUII SE ute IL6

Last edited by Auslandau; 27-05-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 27-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #40
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Wow........
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #41
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Thanks for sharing Dave,this is just amazing with the animals. Did you get any shots of the locals just going about the daily routines?
We did get a few later on but not too many though as I know it sounds funny but they were always looking (we stood out in most places) and the Mrs who had the camera felt a little insecure taking pics of many people. I kept saying that they don't know her and wouldn't mind I am sure.

Alot of people just walk ..... walk to where I have no idea ... but they just walk. There is the bus and the back of utes ...... but 90% walk.

Actually have heaps on video as we were driving around ..... around 7 hours of it!!!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 27-05-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 27-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #42
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a couple of good shots of the locals there that say a lot about them.
Wow 7hrs of vid might be able to get some stills off that.
Can understand your partners reluctance to take shots,some people can react badly to cameras being pointed at them.
Was just thinking you should put all the good stills and good vid onto a disc and create a story of your trip with music and voice over.

Looking forward to seeing the rest.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 27-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #43
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
There's a couple of good shots of the locals there that say a lot about them.
Wow 7hrs of vid might be able to get some stills off that.
Can understand your partners reluctance to take shots,some people can react badly to cameras being pointed at them.
Was just thinking you should put all the good stills and good vid onto a disc and create a story of your trip with music and voice over.

Looking forward to seeing the rest.
I do like the last one as everyone with kids have them tied on their backs so tight and we were actually talking on how the hell they get the kid on there! A day or so later the Mrs spots this and clicks as we sped past in the car and really does show the kid balancing on her back and then she threw the towel over and tied him/her on in the space of about 10 seconds and was off again!

Might just put it all onto a few CD's so I can bore friends and Relatives stupid!!!

Haven't got an editing program yet so if you or anyone knows of a good and easy one to use I have to go out and buy as a recommendation would be great

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 28-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #44
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RE.editing program don't know of one off the top of my head but will go onto a couple of photography forums I frequent and get some advice from them.
On the other hand maybe Wulos or Peuty may know of one.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 28-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #45
BlueBear
Shockwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Haven't got an editing program yet so if you or anyone knows of a good and easy one to use I have to go out and buy as a recommendation would be great
My wife makes event DVD's (weddings etc.) and uses Cyberlink Power Director.
They come out great, can dub music or voice overs and will accept all sorts of formats.
Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #46
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear
My wife makes event DVD's (weddings etc.) and uses Cyberlink Power Director.
They come out great, can dub music or voice overs and will accept all sorts of formats.
Cheers,
Any idea on cost and availability.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 28-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #47
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

great photos............
Old 28-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #48
BlueBear
Shockwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Any idea on cost and availability.
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/po...Fc2DpAodRly8iw

http://www.citysoftware.com.au/Cyber...00000&Search=1

This is the latest version, we only have V8 I think - seems appropriate somehow?
Here's an older version on ebay... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cyberlink...#ht_500wt_1156

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #49
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

@blubear,thanks for that price is good and features look good too.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 31-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #50
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Been 4 days now Dave - getting withdrawal! Your holiday has finished so snap to it - the world is waiting for the next installment.

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #51
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dave,so far blubear's recommend for editing program is the best,the advice I got on the photography sites were for programs costing about $700/800.

+1withGT

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 31-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #52
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Sorry ..... work got in the way and was playing around with the videos ..... Damn work ..... damn it to hell/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Dave,so far blubear's recommend for editing program is the best,the advice I got on the photography sites were for programs costing about $700/800.

+1withGT
Yes .... I agree. Have been to JB, HNorman etc and they are around that price plus more and no one seems to be very helpful. There is a free trial and will give it a go. Only got my laptop at the moment so things are a little slow!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 31-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #53
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

That was pretty amazing, thanks for sharing that
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #54
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Next day after the drive through Chobe we thought we would slow down a little and let someone else drive so we caught a bus into Zimbabwe to visit Victoria Falls ..... after all it is one of the 7 natural wonders of the world so you would have to think it must be impressive?

The actual reason we didn't drive ourselves is that Zimbabwe is recommended as a place NOT to drive your own car as it can be a little bit scary unless you are with someone who knows 'what to do'. People we were camped next to arrived from Zim and it took then near 3 hours to cross the boarder from Botswana included dramas with visa's, payments and delays with men with guns which in the end only took around $20.00 US to 2 authorities in bribes to get through ..... then the license checks along the way ...... then the general harassment at Vic Falls.

We caught the bus in Kasane, it took 20 minutes at the boarder to organise Visa's and fees to get through with the help from the driver, adn drove to the falls with no drama.

We got dropped off at the falls and was pointed out the best way to walk to the Victoria Falls Hotel without getting hassled. (If the walk wasn't a hassle, I dont know what is!)

Victoria Falls ...... well ..... to say it was jaw dropping is an understatement. You could hear them from inside the bus and still had a k walk to get there. You could feel the mist which was nice as it was around 30 odd plus degrees.

It wasn't until you actually turn the corner the roar made was just incredible ....... you had to shout to be heard. Unfortunately pics was hard to get as it was impossible to keep anything dry. We were pelted! To describe the way the water came up over the edge .... being pushed by the water flowing down .... is way to hard. Once I sort out the video I will link it as it came up not too bad

The Zambezie river .... flowing like all hell!

First section of falls ..... the amount and the power of water was incredible

The main section was brutal ..... a slight change of the breeze sent sheets of water over us.

We had a short break to dry things out ........

Then we had to walk the gauntlet to Vic Falls Hotel. As soon as you hit the entrance you get surrounded by a minimum of 6 selling all sorts of products. Have been around the traps and can usually tell them to nicely leave but these blokes were bloody persistent. For the next couple of k;s back to the hotel prices dropped on wooden bowls from $20.00 each to finally $5.00 for 2 by the time we got to the gate. NO apparently means YES ..... but finally they gave up. Was a little daunting.

We were greeted at the entrance .... and continually as we proceeded through the hotel. Great story about the place with the ups and downs it has had and it is great it has survived but only just. First hotel to be built by the british opened in 1904 ..... Great institution and a wonderful place to spend an afternoon with million dollar views.

Having cosmopolitans on the terrace .... I had an Ostrich stir fry with my Zim beer .... was good

Bridge across to Zambia ...... bungy jumping was available there but I passed on that one.

Decided to grab something at the market before we had to board the bus as we didnt buy anything on the walk from the falls ..... to worried to get the wallet out!

We headed off and suddenly had a police women walking with us. Passing the blokes with the AK47's standing guard the ATM's we headed down to the market with out any hassles .... because of the escort. She waited when we went into a stall, watching what was going on and then the Mrs asked her why the escort? "Just a little bit of protection" .... the fact we needed protecting was a worry but we were safe. Especially when we were joined by another policeman who walked a few paced behind on the way back to the hotel! They said bye .... we said thanks and that was it. All in one piece. If they weren't there what would have happened???

Zimbabwe ....... bit of a worry must say but still enjoyed it and was all part of the experience. The Falls? Freaking amazing .........

Next day we packed up and had our longest day trip yet ..... the horrendous road back to Palapye for a quick overnight stay ... then back into South Africa and head towards Kruger National Park. It took 2 days to get there .... but I will get to that later

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 01-06-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #55
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Always love reading this Dave!

Good to see you guys had fun... It's always good to get out and about, and explore what the world has to offer before you get too old to do anything...

Anyway, I hope to be able to read more on the weekend! This entire story so far is very interesting, and a nice evening read
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #56
Geez Louise
Awesome

What was the exchange rate like when you went Dave?

Did you go on any Safari tours?? About time for another update...
Old 02-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #57
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

No Safari tours as we quickly worked out that we could go anywhere the safari companies were going and we could do it easier, when we wanted to and save crap loads of money. We passed quite a few safari companies ....... I think you just need to have the gumption to do things yourself. As you know landing in Egypt can be a slap in the face compared to landing in Sydney!

Things were a little daunting, the wild animals and without sounding horrible, the towns and villages where you had to not mind that you were the only white person there and you did get noticed and looked at. I can imagine that many on the safaris would find these things a little bit hard to get used to?

Exchange rate was around 7 RAND to 1 ..... silmular to PULA in Botswana. Zimbabwe only used US dollars as their money is used to light fires with. You could buy a 20,000,000,000 Zim note (Thats billions for 1 US) Found it more expensive there ..... Beer was $2.00 US for gods sake!!!!!!!!

Can of coke - 0.80 - $1.00
Scotch and Coke - $2.00
Stubbie of Windhoek (Tasted very similar to Crown Lager - Very addictive - $1.40
Fillet steak (Supermarket) 1 kilo - $3.80
Petrol - Exactly the same as here but around 20 cents to get windows washed
Fresh brewed coffee - POT (3 mugs) - $1.40
Camping accomodation - no power - $5.00 per person approx
With power - add $2.00
Great meals out - For 2 including beer and wine, entree and could never get desert as always too full - $15 to $25 (Total bill) HUGE steaks!!!!

A map ............ der.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 02-06-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #58
Geez Louise
Awesome

Yeah the armed guards at the airport in Cairo were a shock and the drive into Cairo where no one indicates and the lines on the road mean nothing are a culture shock, but you just have to relax and go with the flow.

You tend to forget the whole planet is not going to be the same as home...especially when you visit a 3rd world country.

It does look beautiful where you went. Thanks again for sharing.

Cheers
Col

P.S. This thread needs more PICS!

Last edited by Geez Louise; 02-06-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added a PS... :)
Old 03-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #59
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Yeah the armed guards at the airport in Cairo were a shock and the drive into Cairo where no one indicates and the lines on the road mean nothing are a culture shock, but you just have to relax and go with the flow.

You tend to forget the whole planet is not going to be the same as home...especially when you visit a 3rd world country.

It does look beautiful where you went. Thanks again for sharing.

Cheers
Col

P.S. This thread needs more PICS!
I'm brainstorming the next big trip in Dec-Jan and now Africa is near the top. Vic Falls has been a 'must see' for me for ages.

Will be doing a tour (prob Gecko's / Intrepid / Kumuka) as we have limited time. Perhaps 2-3 weeks Southern Africa + Madagascar, then 3 weeks in Korea to work then 1 week Japan.

Flights seem very exy, (even for peak). Cost of flights will dictate the destinations to be honest.

Cairo Airport.... ordered chaos lol Can't wait to go back and go North this time.. Hopefully when things improve.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post