Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
XF_Pilot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Help with transfering VIC licence & rego into SA??

Hi all,

I am currently living in Melbourne and my partner and I are moving to Adelaide for work. We are very excited about the move but have never moved interstate before. I would like to ask someone who has been through this process before about transfering rego and licences:

- how long can I drive on a Vic drivers licence before I have to transfer it over to SA?

- How long are we able to drive our cars on Vic plates before we have to transfer?

- What does yearly rego cost in SA for a sedan sized car?

- Do you need yearly road worthy certs in SA like you do in NSW?

Thanks for all the advise in advance. Thanks!

XF_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Help with transfering VIC licence & rego into SA??

You have 3 months before you need to transfer license over. The process is very simple and only about $15.

Car rego has the same 3 months grace period as drivers license.

Yearly rego cost is about 100 bucks more per year in SA than a registered VIC car. I think its about 680+ for a falcon sedan, while vic is around high $500s.

No RWC in SA. Just bring the car in and register it.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
krzysiek

Can't remember exactly, but I am pretty sure I paid $624.00 for my BA XT about 2 or 3 weeks ago for the rego! :(
krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek
Can't remember exactly, but I am pretty sure I paid $624.00 for my BA XT about 2 or 3 weeks ago for the rego! :(
Is that with or without compulsory 3rd party?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

my EL 6 cylinder rego an out in june this year, to renew it for 12 months was $774 which is including $437.02 CTP
when i go to renew it i will need to pay the $15 late payment fee. i think rego went up a bit in july too?

also when you take your car to regency or lonsdale for a engine / vin number check, with interstate transfer to sa reg, the inspection is free.
but when you take the paperwork and go to register the car at motor reg you get charged $50 extra for the inspection that was done .

we only have the option to register the car for 3 months or 12 months now, and no longer use rego labels either.
and wont be sent reminders that rego is needing renewal
which means it will be harder to remember when the rego is due.
there are fines too for leaving an old sticker on the window, but we always had that

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

Last edited by my67xr; 08-08-2011 at 09:36 AM.
my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
XF_Pilot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow no rwc? that's amazing!

So do I need some sort of paperwork from vicroads to do an interstate transfer on the car or just turn up to the SA Transport office and do it all through them? I assume I then just post my plates back to vicroads for a refund?

Rego in Vic is now close to 700 too so no change there. I will have to remember to remove my rego lable. Good tip thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
You have 3 months before you need to transfer license over. The process is very simple and only about $15.

Car rego has the same 3 months grace period as drivers license.

Yearly rego cost is about 100 bucks more per year in SA than a registered VIC car. I think its about 680+ for a falcon sedan, while vic is around high $500s.

No RWC in SA. Just bring the car in and register it.
not sure where you got that info from, as i just paid $641.50 for the Fairmont's renewal. In VIC it's completely based on where the car is housed, just like insurance. I'm melb metro and that's a pretty standard price. The variance in price is generally down to the TAC premium changing depending on how many people stack and are injured in your area etc.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLDENLOVER12
Hey man.
Try sticking some extractors on your terminal. For optimal performance it helped me out alot. Make my car go fast. The coppers really havein a hard time trying to catch me mate.

Yours sincerly, Brodie Dale.
Bacchus marsh.
PM when you have any other inquiries ill take the time to help you's all out.
I thought you were Matthew from Sunbury?

Poor troll effort is poor.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
NorfyXR6
ⒷⒶ ⓍⓇ➏

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67xr
we only have the option to register the car for 3 months or 12 months now, and no longer use rego labels either.
and wont be sent reminders that rego is needing renewal
which means it will be harder to remember when the rego is due.
there are fines too for leaving an old sticker on the window, but we always had that
I think they still send reminders because they need to send the orange payment slip along with the vehicles paperwork (now blue).

1998 AU Fairmont Ghia - Amaretto
Only 170,000kms - Factory: Tickford Intech VCT 6cyl Engine, 17" Tickford Rims, IRS, ABS/Tracton Control, Premium Sound

First:
2003 BA XR6 - Vixen Red (RIP)
K&N/Typh CAI/Terry Intake pipe, 4490s, 100cpsi cat, Herrod 2.5" MS exhaust/3" SS Tips, 20% Underdrive,
PWR Transcooler, Elec Shiftkit, Destino wheels, Leather Interior/console lid, Interior Neons, SAASII Gauges,
Tint, BF Tail lights
NorfyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yeah i wish we had the stickerless system, would look a not nicer.

surely they can send reminders via email
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfyXR6
I think they still send reminders because they need to send the orange payment slip along with the vehicles paperwork (now blue).
motor reg told me 2 weeks ago, once you have a blue form (after july 1st) you will no longer get reminder notices

67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
NorfyXR6
ⒷⒶ ⓍⓇ➏

Quote:
motor reg told me 2 weeks ago, once you have a blue form (after july 1st) you will no longer get reminder notices
oh ok, bugga lol

Only 170,000kms - Factory: Tickford Intech VCT 6cyl Engine, 17" Tickford Rims, IRS, ABS/Tracton Control, Premium Sound

First:
K&N/Typh CAI/Terry Intake pipe, 4490s, 100cpsi cat, Herrod 2.5" MS exhaust/3" SS Tips, 20% Underdrive,
PWR Transcooler, Elec Shiftkit, Destino wheels, Leather Interior/console lid, Interior Neons, SAASII Gauges,
Tint, BF Tail lights
Old 08-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfyXR6
they also advised me to keep the bottom section of the rego papers in the glovebox, incase i was pulled over by the police? that section doesn't contain any personal details

i transferred a victorian mazda into my wifes name a few months ago, the sa motor reg dept will take the old interstate plates, they issued me a reciept for the surrender too.
reciept states; make model,plate number, time, date, rego branch, old state where car was last rego'd etc etc

67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

Old 08-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
NorfyXR6
ⒷⒶ ⓍⓇ➏

I think they replace the old-style plates if you let your cars current rego run-out too?

First:
Tint, BF Tail lights
Old 09-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #15
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it costs more to rego an 8 than a 6 here, i pay about $25 more for 3mths than my wife same cars just different motors
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 03:24 AM   #16
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8
it costs more to rego an 8 than a 6 here, i pay about $25 more for 3mths than my wife same cars just different motors
i think it's the same in most states isn't it?

NorfyXR6- I think they replace the old-style plates if you let your cars current rego run-out too?

^^they do if you leave it unregistered for more than a year now

my EF ex-taxi has been sitting for 9 months now, motor reg sent me a letter asking me to hand in my old plates.
i had to ring and tell them the car was being repaired, and the longest i could go without it being rego'd was 1 year, before the plates had to go back

67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

Old 09-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #17
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It may have changed but I transfured canbera rego to sa about 12 years ago on a xa wagon & all regency did was check for matching engine/ vin numbers & clean engine bay..............I even had a bolt for indicator stem they never checked any thing else . Then it was 2 min of filling out paperwork & all done.
you can bye & sell cars registed or not in sa with no roadworthy needed to reregister unless been out of rego for over 12 months

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #18
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats still all that they do now.
and with buying and selling, you can buy a car that hasn't been rego'd for 25 years or more,
and if you have the last signed rego papers from back then they will transfer and re rego it for you.

67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

Old 09-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #19
XF_Pilot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

excellent information. thanks everyone!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #20
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We got a reminder notice for our Peugeot that's due this month. It came last month with the blue registration certificate. The certificate only says that it's registered until 2012, so I'd assume they'd send out another one next year?

Quote:
my EF ex-taxi has been sitting for 9 months now, motor reg sent me a letter asking me to hand in my old plates.
i had to ring and tell them the car was being repaired, and the longest i could go without it being rego'd was 1 year, before the plates had to go back
They must be a bit hit and miss about that. Our XE has been unregistered for 4 years now and not once have they asked for the plates back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlerj
Is that with or without compulsory 3rd party?
It is with the compulsory third party bodily insurance. There is no compulsory third party damage insurance in SA.

The other thing, outside the Adelaide metro area, then rego is cheaper by about $100 a year. Our 4cyl Peugeot is $549 for 12 months whereas the Transport SA web site says that it would be $701 for a 4cyl car normally. The difference is the CTP costs.

The local government website is here: http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/index.asp

Last edited by sgt_doofey; 09-08-2011 at 01:32 PM.
sgt_doofey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

just to add, rego price in sa is determined by cylinder count, regardless of car. having said that, there may be some other minor price variations as the prices already mentioned on here are a bit up and down. my fg is $797 for 12 months.

also, as for transfer, because you are moving here to live, i believe you just fill out a transfer of address form?? normally, if i buy a car interstate, i need to change the owner details to my name, which means a trip to regency (adelaide's inspection place) for a ID check (just a once over and numbers check to ensure its not stolen etc etc). you aren't changing ownership details and i think you can just do a change of address at any sa transport branch. never done it myself though so i could be wrong.

once transferred, sa is the most lax place in the country to own a car. no RWC, no yearly checks etc, anything goes.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #22
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sam,
i wonder if you only got the reminder because the rego hasnt been renewed and run out since 1st july 2011 yet?
your rego must have been paid in may/june if you did it for 3 months, or before that if you registered it for more than 3 months.

the part about handing in your plates only happened at the beginning of last financial year, 1st july 2010.
now you need a reason to keep your plates on a unregistered car.

before that they used to send a reminder notice that if your car was unregistered and not going to be put back on the road, to hand in your old plates. that wasnt compulsary though.

67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

Old 09-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #23
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
sam,
i wonder if you only got the reminder because the rego hasnt been renewed and run out since 1st july 2011 yet?
your rego must have been paid in may/june if you did it for 3 months, or before that if you registered it for more than 3 months.
Nope, 12 months rego for both of our cars. The Peugeot expires next week on the 15th August.
We got an orange bill for the rego with the costs on it and then a blue registration certificate. They would still have to send the bill out otherwise those people that pay in person or at the Post Office wouldn't have any idea how much it is?????

Quote:
the part about handing in your plates only happened at the beginning of last financial year, 1st july 2010.
now you need a reason to keep your plates on a unregistered car.

before that they used to send a reminder notice that if your car was unregistered and not going to be put back on the road, to hand in your old plates. that wasnt compulsary though.
Been over 4 years since we let the registration lapse on the XE (I.e. we just didn't renew it) and DTEI hasn't sent us a letter asking for the plates back yet
Old 25-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #24
XF_Pilot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another question for everyone, what is the rules is SA regarding registering and driving a Left Hand Drive car?